Twoflower's Eyes

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Temple_maiden » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:26 am

I always interpreted as him wearing glasses.
. . . and I'm all like, "I wrote a book, innit," and they're all like, "Well where can we get it," and I'm all like, "Here . . ."
Temple_maiden

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 pm

author3 wrote:Well I started wearing glasses this week and I haven't been called four eyes yet :D

Hey, 4 eyes! Are they new glasses you've got there? :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby rockershovel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 am

I'd always taken that to mean that he wore glasses.

I'd seen Josh Kirby's illustration with four actual eyes but I'd assumed that this was one of his occasional liberties with the text, like Conanina's "chain-mail bikini" style of dress ( Angua appears like this on one of the covers for no good reason )

Kirby usually depicts Angua as quite pneumatic, with a distinctly "sculpted" breast-plate, but she is described as being slim and athletic - it's just one of those things
rockershovel

Postby janet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Having worn glasses since the age of four, I always read Twoflower as a spectacle wearer since 'four-eyes' is second nature...... :x
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Phoenix » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:43 pm

rockershovel wrote:I'd always taken that to mean that he wore glasses.

I'd seen Josh Kirby's illustration with four actual eyes but I'd assumed that this was one of his occasional liberties with the text, like Conanina's "chain-mail bikini" style of dress ( Angua appears like this on one of the covers for no good reason )

Kirby usually depicts Angua as quite pneumatic, with a distinctly "sculpted" breast-plate, but she is described as being slim and athletic - it's just one of those things

Doesn't the book where Angua first appears (Men At Arms? ... Remembering random sentences I can do, but placing them is another matter :P) mention that her breastplate needed to be hammered out in certain places? Along with not being able to wear a helmet because of all of the hair, if memory serves.

I always pictured Twoflower to be wearing glasses as well, I think because he had knowledge/technology that was unusual to AM, so that was just another. In my copy of Interesting Times, the cover illustration is by Josh Kirby and seems to have Twoflower wearing a pair of fetching red glasses, so maybe TP had a word :wink:
Hah! I laugh in the face of danger... Then I hide until it goes away.

+++ Out of Spoons Error +++ Redo From Start +++
Phoenix

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:16 am

Phoenix wrote:Doesn't the book where Angua first appears (Men At Arms? ... Remembering random sentences I can do, but placing them is another matter :P) mention that her breastplate needed to be hammered out in certain places? Along with not being able to wear a helmet because of all of the hair, if memory serves.

Yes it does
Constable Angua had mastered saluting first go. She wouldn’t have a full uniform yet, not until someone had taken a, well, let’s face it, a breastplate along to old Remitt the armourer and told him to beat it out really well here and here, and no helmet in the world would cover all that mass of ash-blond hair but, it occurred to Carrot, Constable Angua wouldn’t need any of that stuff really. People would be queuing up to get arrested.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby spideyGirl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Just started to re-read TCOM on a borrowed Kindle to see how I like the reader and I found more clues, on the paperback version it says on page 39:

'Yes.' Twoflower looked worriedly at the wizard over the top of his strange seeing-lenses. 'Will two thousand be sufficient, do you think?'

Sounds like glasses to me that :D
spideyGirl

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 pm

In Interesting Times it says he wore glasses. :D
poohcarrot

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:24 pm

poohcarrot wrote:In Interesting Times it says he wore glasses. :D

Mhnn... might be a bit meta-writing here. After all, several good authors use or don't use specific terms until the main characters/main group of characters learned the/found a name of/for it.
LilMaibe

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 am

In Interesting Times Cohen calls Twoflower Foureyes :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:01 am

What all this comes down to is artistic interpretation - or failure to understand what the writer had written. :lol:

If we take Josh Kirby's artwork as 100% correct renditions of Terry's characters, then, according to the paperback cover of Eric, the Luggage doesn't have hundreds of legs, it only has about thirty. And Rincewind is a white-haired old man.

The writing inside the book is more important than the cover. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am

Don't judge a book by it's cover! :D

Well! I can't be original ALL the time, can I? :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby captainmeme » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

I read the bit about four eyes, and immediatly thought of glasses, but somehow my imagination edited them out and I thought of him without glasses until I watched the film. Now he's always going to be Sam Gamgee dressed as an American Tourist to me.
Albatross!
captainmeme

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:14 pm

captainmeme wrote:I read the bit about four eyes, and immediatly thought of glasses, but somehow my imagination edited them out and I thought of him without glasses until I watched the film. Now he's always going to be Sam Gamgee dressed as an American Tourist to me.

You think that's bad? I 'made the mistake' of trying to fill the commercialbreaks at 'The Big Bang Theory' by reading a bit Science of Discworld.... NOT Healthy for the brain.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:58 am

From Interesting Times (page 77 Corgi paperback)

Terry Prachett in Interesting Times wrote:They invented things. In fact, he recalled, he'd been instrumental in introducing a few of their devices to Ankh-Morpork. Simple, innocent things, like clocks worked by demons, and boxes that painted pictures, and extra glass eyes you could wear over the top of your own eyes to help you see better, even if it did mean you made a spectacle of yourself.

Sounds like glasses to me. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels