People who don't like Discworld!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Welcome Unseenu but I should think almost anybody on this forum has at least one Discworld book they don't like. I could never bring myself to enjoying Going Postal.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:03 pm

I love Going Postal and one of my best friends loves that book and can't wait to see the TV dramatisation ... me too actually...

I found it hard to like Equal Rites - even now I am in no hurry to re read that one.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Willem » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:42 am

I never liked Sourcery much myself.
Willem

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 am

Willem wrote:I never liked Sourcery much myself.
At least Sourcery gave Terry the opportunity to get rid of the old style of wizards and make way for Ridcully and co. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby GrannyWeatherwax » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:12 pm

I've managed to get a few friends (including distant Facebook friends) into reading Discworld books recently. Being involved in the next Aussie convention has made me into a bit of a fanatic about wanting people to understand why I love them so much.

that said I have been completely unsuccessful in getting ANY of my family to read Discworld books. My Mum read one, and didn't get it, my husband doesn't read (he'd rather go fishing), my teenage sons think its slightly embarassing to have a Mum that dresses as a witch and goes to conventions (I'm not allowed t mention it in front of their friends - even the ones that do Cosplay).

Basically my love of Discwold is treated as 'Sue's strange little hobby' and all my UK family thinks its weird that I would come to the UK to visit them and deliberately arrange the visit to coicide with DWCON 2010.

little does my Lancashire mother-in-law know, but when I'm dressed as Granny I channel her personality......
GrannyWeatherwax

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Ha, Ha, Ha, like it a lot. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:45 pm

i lent my 14 year old neice the colour of magic (she's such a book worm bless her) and she loved it and is giving me her pocket money to buy her more each week. yet her mum who again is a book worm didnt like it at all and said she couldnt understand or follow the story. i guess it only appeals to them who like these kind of novels :roll:
Last edited by mariekni on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby chuckie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:51 pm

My mother was also well read but she couldn't get into discworld.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby MissTeatime » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Once again my love of Dicsowrld has been rudely overlooked. Well, I say overlooked... :roll:

My parents agreed to buy me Discworld stuff (Tshirt, mug etc.) for my gradution present. But when we were about to finalize the purchase my dad goes "Are you sure you'll still be interested in all this stuff in a few years time?"

Grrr. :evil: This is not a phase, people. And I will personally repport the next person who suggests otherwhise to the Patrician as a mime. Beware... :wink:
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."
MissTeatime

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm

But did they get for you in the end. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:24 am

Yeah, my Dad used to say that about Star Trek. I showed them! I'm still the biggest nerd they know! :lol:

And congrats on the graduation (assuming it's recent :wink: )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby MissTeatime » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 pm

So they did, and make no mistake - I'm grateful for that. And I'm planning on showing them, too. :lol:

Thanks, it is recent - see the faces to names thread for picture. :D
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."
MissTeatime

Postby Perestroika » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I always try to find a dw book to cater to my friend's interests.

my friend is a film maker, so I got her Moving Pictures, which she loved, and so now she'll give dw a chance when before she dismissed it as my fancy.

same with my friend who's into music in a big way. I just find the dw book to suit them best.
Perestroika

Previous

Return to Discworld novels