RANT

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

RANT

Postby fids » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:55 pm

My wife text me at 1030 this morning telling me a charity shop in town (Hereford) had a load of Pratchett paperbacks in for £2. She proceeded to text me the titles, 8 in all. I told her to get me Socerery and Pyramids.

She turned around and some woman had bought all 8 while she text.

Bring back the birch
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby deldaisy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:08 pm

:shock:
They would have been in my arms, stuffed down my bra and knickers, with me fighting off ANYONE who dared look like buying them!

Myyyyyyyyyyyyy Preeciouuuuuuuuuuuus!!!!!!!!!!

The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Del, why do you go shopping in your underwear :shock:
LilMaibe

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Better than going shopping without your underwear :lol:
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby deldaisy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:35 pm

:D :D :D You silly sausages!

We girls don't GET pockets in our trousers and dresses like you guys get most of the time...... Bras!.... two convenient and easily accessed pockets!

Though if you DO keep you mobile phone there.... turn the vibrating feature off first. People get a mite disconcerted when you left breast starts vibrating. And turn the phone inwards... glowing and vibrating.... never a good thing for a breast to do.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 pm

I am a girl :( And my trousers do have pockets :( Am I doing something wrong?
LilMaibe

Postby deldaisy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:03 pm

You are young. People see odd shaped bulges and lumps in your trousers they know there is still a young body under that.... I am way older than you... I have natural odd shaped bulges and bits poking out of my trousers.... I don't need to add MORE bulges to my trousers. :wink:
deldaisy

Postby spideyGirl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:27 pm

deldaisy wrote:You are young. People see odd shaped bulges and lumps in your trousers they know there is still a young body under that.... I am way older than you... I have natural odd shaped bulges and bits poking out of my trousers.... I don't need to add MORE bulges to my trousers. :wink:

ditto :cry: :)
spideyGirl

Postby Perestroika » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Del, why do you go shopping in your underwear
I tend to always go shopping in my underwear...
admitedly I do try to have said underwear on the right side of the clothing that I wear over underwear...
I do like to think that this makes me look sane.
Perestroika

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm

deldaisy wrote::D :D :D You silly sausages!

We girls don't GET pockets in our trousers and dresses like you guys get most of the time...... Bras!.... two convenient and easily accessed pockets!

Though if you DO keep you mobile phone there.... turn the vibrating feature off first. People get a mite disconcerted when you left breast starts vibrating. And turn the phone inwards... glowing and vibrating.... never a good thing for a breast to do.

Well for those of you in climates where you're bra isn't buried under 3 other layers of clothing that might be an option :lol: Though personally I'm with LilMaibe on this, pockets are an essential part of clothing.
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby SimStars13 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 pm

I agree wholeheartedly on the pockets front, which is one reason why school uniforms are so stupid :D
"Martin! I thought we sold you"

DFTBA
SimStars13

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 pm

deldaisy wrote::shock:
They would have been in my arms, stuffed down my bra and knickers, with me fighting off ANYONE who dared look like buying them!

Which do you reckon is the most appropriate book for Del to stick down her knickers?

I reckon either Interesting Times or Only You Can Save Mankind. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:32 pm

poohcarrot wrote:

Which do you reckon is the most appropriate book for Del to stick down her knickers?

What about Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere? Or, for added irony, Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination?

Sorry, Del, couldn't resist.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 pm

As this thread is already titled 'Rant' don't mind if I now use it to rant away about the german publisher and their handling of them book.

For some reason (*coughgreedcough*) not only did they switch to provide their own covers instead of paying to use those of Kirby, Kidby or Simonetti, they are also making a full new translation.
Granted, the original translations of Andreas Brandhorst sometimes missed their goal, but heavens, they were unbelievable magnificent to the new ones.
Which read at several points like... incredible dull and generally horrible.
It just doesn't flow, and if it does for one or two sentences the new translator apparently felt obliged to used 150% grammatical correct forms no matter if no living person (not even someone who has excelled in German Studies) talks/writes like that. (And with the new translation of Reaper Man, which will come out in October, they will change tranlators again apparently...)

*sighs*

Anyway, to end this rant, lemme link you the lovely new, Germany-exclusive covers:

UA
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man

(Links lead to pages of amazon.de)

Thank you for your time.
LilMaibe

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:57 am

Quatermass wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:

What about Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere? Or, for added irony, Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination?

Sorry, Del, couldn't resist.

Image you two!

"The Joye Of Snacks" perhaps? :wink:

My daughter suggested "The Encyclopedia Britannica"!!!!!! :twisted: She is SO out of the will!
deldaisy

Next

Return to Discworld novels