choosing to die

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

choosing to die

Postby brettjameshill » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:24 pm

This program is reducing me to tears. Long live Sir Terry Pratchett.
Thoughts on the program so far?[/url]
brettjameshill

Postby Oggham Rune » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Potential spoiler alerts for those watching later.

Pretty sensitively handled so far. I am pro the choice for individuals who can take the decision in a rational way, so that's probably going to inform/bias my view of the programme.
Last edited by Oggham Rune on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln, 1865.
Oggham Rune

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 pm

WELCOME to the site Brett. Mate... that link didn't show up. Repost it if you can.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Oggham Rune » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Rob doesn't seem too happy about it.
Oggham Rune

Postby Oggham Rune » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Difficult programme even if you do support the choice.
Oggham Rune

Postby high eight » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Christ, that was hard to watch. For all kinds of reasons.

I wouldn't do it myself - but then I'm not terminally ill. At the moment. Things may (almost certainly will, given my genetics) change as I get older and I have seen enough people die slowly and in pain not to want to do it myself, so.....

We put down our pets when they are old and ill - why not ourselves?

Thanks, Terry for yet another well-argued piece in favour of humanity.

And thanks to the late Peter Smedley ("a truly brave man", as Terry said) for allowing his last moments to be filmed for the programme.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Wow that was incredibly moving and powerful. I got a little choked up but I definitely support assisted death and certainly something I would consider if the need ever arose.
"We're on a mission from Glod"
TheTurtleMoves

choosing to die

Postby princessp1372 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:19 pm

i have to agree in right time right place, as much as we carnt see into the future but people who have terminal illness' almost have a view on what will happen, so choosing to take your life in this way i fully understand and sympathise with thier families but consider the person who is ill and carnt make the decision when its to late. Alan and Peter are now at peace and no more pain or suffering...Terry you have shook the world again and got them talking about such a taboo subject well done and carry on doing what you do best and when you come to make your decision no one will judge you as you are elite and cleverer than they think. no one can tell anyone who is right until your in thier shoes...... xxxxx
princessp1372

Postby DocWerx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank you for making this programme. Eloquent, thought (and I hope debate) provoking and moving.

As having been diagnosed with a 'life limiting illness' this debate goes straight to the heart. Although I (hopefully) have a long, long time before I may face the desire to make this choice, for those that have to face it now, I wish you all the best and hope you are given the option to choose if you want it.

Love to all on this site, whatever your views and I hope you all live long and full lives.

Peter and Andrew were wonderfully brave people, as are their families and my heart goes out to them and thank you for letting us share their lives and deaths.

Nimrod or The Great Gig in the Sky? Not sure now!
DocWerx

BBC film

Postby Alex517135 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:56 pm

One of the best made documentaries that I have ever watched. The bravery of Peter ( and Andrew) was stunning. We treat our pets better than we do ourselves. Sir Terry showed courage in filming and keeping a balanced view point. Thank you and I hope this is the start for change that will give people in very painful situation the respect they deserve.
Alex517135

Postby archerinwood » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Look at all these new members :shock: ! Welcome to you all. I watched it and for those who don't know I am 14. I didn't cry (the result of trying very hard not to admittedly). I fully support people's right to choose too. Very good documentary.
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Well it was certainly thought provoking,and Rob did not agree with the younger guy, and in the end Terry seemed to have a little doubt, watched a bit of the newsnight programme which followed.

And hello to all the first time posters welcome to the forum.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tyleytwi the 99th » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:42 pm

A very moving documentary, well presented, thankfully not dumbed down. My respect and admiration for Terry is unfaltering but I would really like to add Rob his assistant in both that admiration and respect now.

Got a bit annoyed with Disabled Rights Person on the Newsnight programme - she really shouldn't have kept reiteration that disabled people felt the same as she - I am and I don't !
Malicious Teapot on Wheels
Tyleytwi the 99th

Press coverage

Postby spytfyre » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 am

Nice to see the media get time out of the story.
Nice to see the Daily Mash satirical take on it
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/reading-discworld-backwards-%27makes-you-want-to-kill-yourself%27-201106143941/
spytfyre

Postby feishtica » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:53 am

I've just read the news of Mr Pratchett choosing an assisted death and I'm crying like hell right now. I just wanted to tell him how much he influenced my way of seeing and feeling the world, how he opened my horizons and made this world an easier place to live by putting more magic into it. I feel Mr Pratchett so close, as if he were my father. So I do hope that there will be no need for him to take such a decision in the near future. I pray that he may keep on living and writing because our small personal worlds would be greyer and emptier without him.
feishtica

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett