The 2011 Irish Discworld Convention

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The 2011 Irish Discworld Convention

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Well - time to get a new convention thread going surely, as we have at least 4 people going now? :wink:

I had a rush of blood to the head and have registered and just booked my flight over (not with Ryanair :lol: ) today. I'm going from Bristol and just wondering if a certain person who lives near Wincanton might be going with Aer Arann too :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 pm

If I can't get anywhere to stay for Hogwatch in Wincanton I might go to the Irish one which is the week before. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:38 am

Who's the certain person living near Wincanton? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:06 am

Well I suppose I kind of live nearer to Bristol Airport than Wincanton...but I don't have enough money to go to any cons :(
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby author3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 pm

I can't wait to go
The commitee still haven't replied to my email asking if I could pay without a credit card seeing as my family doesn't have one
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Who's the certain person living near Wincanton? :?

Some old geezer who wears a fedora I think? :shock: Him or another, more rotund, old geezer who wears a similar hat and smokes a pipe... :wink:

Hope they get back to you on the plastic question soon author! Image
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Who's the certain person living near Wincanton? :?

Some old geezer who wears a fedora I think? :shock: Him or another, more rotund, old geezer who wears a similar hat and smokes a pipe... :wink:

Hope they get back to you on the plastic question soon author! Image

But I don't wear a hat...and less of the old please :P
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:00 pm

:lol: But are you going Bickaxe? :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Flying from Bristol to Shannon is too expensive for us with luggage (and lets face it, you need at least 15 cases to carry all the costumes)
Aer Lingus = £860 (2 people)

Bristol to Dublin is much better at £300 for 2 people but also need to hire a car etc...
Could go by ferry, but 10 hours of driving is a pain and I can't go on boats

Despite it being so close, I doubt we'll ever go to the Irish Con due to the logistics.

Maybe closer to the time flights might be cheaper
Fiendish til the en-
Bickaxe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:36 pm

I got Aer Arann (for Aer Lingus) from Bristol - Shannon for just under £100 flight only plus 1 checked in bag (£24! :shock: ) out on Friday and back Tuesday. Looks like the flight's not booked out yet either :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bickaxe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Was tempting to just go with hand luggage, but there is no way the better half would get what she <insert sarcasm here> NEEDS <saracsm ends> into my bag.

Bit of a rip off really, it would be cheaper to book a seat for my luggage.....hmmm... :idea:
Fiendish til the en-
Bickaxe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 pm

you can take up to 50kg of hold baggage - you just have to pay extra... :roll:

Oh yeah and you can book golf clubs seperately to that so you could sling your axe in with that and get around the excess that way? :twisted: 8)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Lordy - this thread took a bit of finding!

For those not keeping an eye of the website - they're going to put the OSWALDs/Posh dinner bookings up tomorrow (Sunday 17th) and hopefully we'll get more info on the programme and theme too finally! :D

The Shuttle Bus from the airports and the rail station (at Ennis) will be running and you ought to have had an email from the committee about booking times for that etc. It'll cost €10 each way - this is considerably cheaper than a taxi and/or car hire... :roll:

For those going to the convention I recommend joining the forum (also on Twitter & Facebook) - it's the only place that seems to get halfway edcent updates on these matters :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:45 pm

That certain Guy with the hat will probably be flying into Dublin and getting his PA to drive him to the hotel, unless he does it different this year and uses a helicopter. :) I probably would have went but it's the week before Hogwatch in Wincanton which I'm going to. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:51 pm

That Guy with the Hat isn't going - too much work on with Long Earth I think as Stephen Baxter's blown them out as well. He cancelled about 2 weeks ago :cry:

But he did an impromptu webcam appearance in Rotterdam so maybe he'll put in an appearance at some stage over the weekend :D
Jan Van Quirm

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett