Explaining your avatar and/or signature.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Explaining your avatar and/or signature.

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:47 am

Ok - what's your avatar all about? And the signature - where did you get it from?? :?

My avatar is, obviously, Paul Kidby's version of Lord Downey of the Assassins' Guild.

The signature:

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" is from a poem called 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock' by T.S. Eliot.

"Hookton Dedicated to the writings of Bernard Cornwell." is a link to a site I moderate. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:05 am

My avatar is me, all dolled up and not really looking like I do normally at all! I did the shots as a self-confidence exercise, as I never think I take a good photo, so I try to keep the pic around me just to remind me I'm not the disaster area I sometimes think I am.

The sig 'Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril' is spoof of the new parental advisory notes that the BBFC have taken to attaching to films, I use it as the subtitle on my LJ blog but it actually serves well just a brief guide to me.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby TheMole » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 am

My avatar is my favourite character of STAR WARS - the Emperor (he is my avatar also on official Czech Discworld forum - I just love this guy :wink: )

My signature is sentence used by clowns and it was chosen because Fools Guild is my favourite A-M location...and five exclamation marks are just sign of my psychical health :wink:
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Jason » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:16 am

My avatar was created using a South Park character generator I found on the Internet. It kinda looks a bit like me - and I do have a master of puppets t-shirt just like the one in the avatar.

My sig:

Moderator with big stick
- Pretty obvious this one I think

Editor Discworld Monthly
- again obvious

Part of the TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
- TCOM-12 was a name that was created by the 12 Discworld fans that spent five very long days at Pinewood studios as extras on The Colour of Magic adaptation that sky produced recently.

Ludeum in tympanus can be roughly translated as "playing in the drum" and seeing as I spent much of my time as an extra playing Thud! in the middle of the broken drum it seemed appropriate.

If you watch the adaptation you will see me on the left hand side of the barrel in the middle of the drum playing Thud! with another bearded Discworld fan Sane-Alex (yes the Sane-Alex from Going Postal).
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:26 am

It was great fun spotting everyone! I think I saw most of you. :D
Tonyblack

Postby LadyL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:33 pm

My avatar shows that Im usually a rather shy person who prefers to hide behind a sofa or wall rather than to push to the front :wink:

Well, and Im still looking for the adequate signature :P proposals are welcome
LadyL

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:07 pm

My avatar is of...well, actually nothing cos I haven't got round to putting one on yet...will sort that in a minute.

Edit: Sorted, its just something to say I'm always happy to help

My sig sums me up in less than one word :lol:
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Statsman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:50 pm

Well it's me... sorta Was drawn by a very talented artist on the Cunning Artificers site & I sort of carry it around with me.

Not sorted out a signature yet
Statsman

Postby chris.ph » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:03 pm

ive only just got my first computer so ill but an avatar in when i work out how to do it.
my signature is a quote i saw in a ragmag in the early 80s, the reason i like it so much is that i know people with no qualifications schoolasticlly who are very bright and switched on and on the other hand i know people with degrees who have got to have zips on their shows because they cant remember how to tie a knot. common sense should prevail.
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:08 pm

chris.ph wrote:ive only just got my first computer so ill but an avatar in when i work out how to do it.
my signature is a quote i saw in a ragmag in the early 80s, the reason i like it so much is that i know people with no qualifications schoolasticlly who are very bright and switched on and on the other hand i know people with degrees who have got to have zips on their shows because they cant remember how to tie a knot. common sense should prevail.

:lol: I know what you mean - I always think you should get a rating for Common Sense - a sadly underrated quality. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby snapcase72 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:53 am

My avatar is Arnold Judas Rimmer's alter ego from a parallell universe, Captain Ace Rimmer (what a guy!), from the epic comedy series Red Dwarf.

I love English comedy, and it might as well have been Blackadder, Baldrick, Brian the Messiah, Richard or Edward (from Bottom), Basil Fawlty ekcetera...

As for the signature, it's a Rincewind-quote from Interesting Times, and it's Latatian meaning "oh excrement, I am about to die".
Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum!
snapcase72

Postby Colin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:34 am

My current avatar reflects my obsession with Avro Vulcan XH558.
I was privileged to be present at her first flight after restoration, and like all beautiful ladies of my acquaintance, she costs me dear! :lol:

My sig dates back years to Elton Murphy's 'Collectors Guild' Forum when the much-missed Glen took exception to an ongoing gripe amongst a few of us ... admittedly aimed at Glenn :lol: ... and he called us Grumpy Old Men. He was EXACTLY right, of course, so we adopted the title with glee!

For those who know him, you will all be unsurprised to know that Waddy (he of Wadfest infamy) claimed the title of First Grumpy Old Man, but only because he got online first ... :evil: :wink:
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Popcap » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:15 am

heh :) ,i made my new sig due to my current obsession with death note... even though i think they abused the series the last ~20 episodes

Popcap

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:25 am

My avatar is some old dear who beat up a cyclist with her handbag for not stopping at a pedestrian crossing. Definitely sounds like Dotsie to me (although she might have taken longer to get round to it).

Sig - still can't think of anything I'd like to permanently associate with myself - it feels like commiting to a tatoo!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:33 am

snapcase72 wrote:Brian the Messiah

Struggles...not...to...type...

"He's not the messiah..."

(Couldn't help myself :oops: )
Dotsie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum