Brisbane Broken Drummers?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pandasthumb » Mon May 30, 2011 11:14 am

poohcarrot wrote:It's funny that all you Shielas and Bruces meet in Ozzie-land and you spend all night gabbing about a pommy writer and a pommy kids' TV programme. :lol:

Well, only after we had finished discussing the finer points of Australian Geographics's Employment policy, the inablity of Max Brenner to be accurately sign posted, education, relevant back stories, the benefits of working in mining towns, other sci fi writers, American choclolate, the changes to Cadbury chocolate, Lindt, adding peanut butter to other foods, our hopes for the future and World Peace. We'd left by 5.30pm as it was getting dark.

We're saving Nietzsche for next time. :D
pandasthumb

Postby chris.ph » Mon May 30, 2011 11:18 am

poohcarrot wrote:It's funny that all you Shielas and Bruces meet in Ozzie-land and you spend all night gabbing about a pommy writer and a pommy kids' TV programme. :lol:

oi mush, doctor who isnt a kids program :evil: otherwise river pheonix wouldnt wear nice tight jodphurs :wink: :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 30, 2011 12:29 pm

chris.ph wrote:

oi mush, doctor who isnt a kids program :evil: otherwise river pheonix wouldnt wear nice tight jodphurs :wink: :D :D

I thought River Phoenix was dead. :?

It used to be a kids' programme. When I was a kid I used to watch Dr Who at 5:30 (kids' TV time) on a Saturday.

The last full episode I saw had Peter Davidson in and was a kids' programme.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here that a kid designed the tardis inside in the last episode and I'm also pretty sure there is a competition for kids (possibly 9 - 11) to create an alien for Dr Who. :?

But if you say it isn't a kids' programme Chris, I'll believe you and withdraw my "kids" comment. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Mon May 30, 2011 12:34 pm

ta :lol: :lol:

and river pheonix is dead in the future not at the mo :!:

and its a common misconception that its a kids program, now the sarah jane adventures were squarely aimed at the younger audience,but doctor who is a family programme and always has been. its aimed at the whole family otherwise you wouldnt have had leela running around in a leather bikini just so the fathers had something to perv at in the 80s :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 30, 2011 1:00 pm

pandasthumb wrote:We're saving Nietzsche for next time. :D

I get it! :P So a bit like this bunch of Ozzies sittinging around talking about Philosophy from yet another Pommy TV programme - Monty Python. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Mon May 30, 2011 1:13 pm

It isn't ironic, because, unfortunately (for Australia), most of the best writers and shows are British. You know what is the best Australian show ever, IMO? Kingswood Country, and even that's not as good as many British shows. :roll:

And BTW, Doctor Who isn't completely British. It was conceived partly by a Canadian, the first producer was a woman, an Australian wrote the first story, another Australian wrote the theme music, and an Indian directed the first story. So there. :P

pandasthumb wrote:Well, only after we had finished discussing the finer points of Australian Geographics's Employment policy, the inablity of Max Brenner to be accurately sign posted, education, relevant back stories, the benefits of working in mining towns, other sci fi writers, American choclolate, the changes to Cadbury chocolate, Lindt, adding peanut butter to other foods, our hopes for the future and World Peace. We'd left by 5.30pm as it was getting dark.

We're saving Nietzsche for next time. :D

I don't recall the Aussie Geo and mining town stuff (must've been after I left), but I can confirm the other ones.

As far as I can tell, the discussion about Max Brenner's lack of signage was pretty much me whinging and bitching as much as I could without resorting to expletives (normally, I swear like a sailor, but there was a child present, and while I am for unconventional child education, expletives is not part of that curriculum).

We also discussed, briefly, our opinions of Pratchett's other works, as well as theatre adaptations we had attended.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Mon May 30, 2011 1:16 pm

chris.ph wrote:and its a common misconception that its a kids program, now the sarah jane adventures were squarely aimed at the younger audience,but doctor who is a family programme and always has been. its aimed at the whole family otherwise you wouldnt have had leela running around in a leather bikini just so the fathers had something to perv at in the 80s :lol: :lol:

You got your decades mixed up a little, Chris. Leela was the fanservice in the 70s. Peri was the fanservice in the 80s, though she only wore a normal bikini, not a leather one. :)
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 30, 2011 1:52 pm

What about that great Aussie TV series, Prisoner Cell Block H? I was hooked to that. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Are there any funny Ozzie writers? :?
poohcarrot

Postby Willem » Mon May 30, 2011 1:59 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Are there any funny Ozzie writers? :?

All Ozzie writing looks funny. It's the crayon.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Quatermass » Mon May 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Willem wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:Are there any funny Ozzie writers? :?

All Ozzie writing looks funny. It's the crayon.

Uh, Gary Reilly, Tony Sattler, and the writers of Double the Fist. Oh, and Jane Turner and Gina Riley have their moments with Kath & Kim.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 am

pandasthumb wrote:wow, don't think there's much left for me to say. Del and Q are equally lovely and I had a great time.

You know Tony, I only thought coming home about the lack of photos and this is a real shame as I could have taken one of the 45 minute queue at Max Brenners. It is possibly the worst venue I could have chosen for a meeting and if there were people out there who tried to come and got lost, I am really sorry.

Promise to try harder in future.
(I only had just put my jacket on before you came Del, I had been proudly showing the shirt off at regular intervals around the cafe ...)

And poor Q HAD to talk Dr Who as I had dragged my husband along who came in a Dalek t-shirt for comfort. :lol:

ONLY 45 minutes???? I have NEVER seen a queue like that except for a rock concert! :D

Don't apologise. THANK YOU for taking the lead and ORGANISING it in the first place! THANK YOU!

I have this image of you walking up and down the queue and poking your chest out at random strangers :D :D :D After that, no wonder I got some strange looks as I perved at everyones chest as I walked around the tables!

Your hubby had a dalek Tshirt on? Must have been under his jacket...
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby pandasthumb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:03 am

poohcarrot wrote:
pandasthumb wrote:We're saving Nietzsche for next time. :D

I get it! :P So a bit like this bunch of Ozzies sittinging around talking about Philosophy from yet another Pommy TV programme - Monty Python. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

Oh yes I love the Philosophers Song and used it to much effect on a tutorial on John Stuart Mill and happiness. And thanks to MP this means that I also know how to pronounce Nietzsche.

But I was thinking more of 'fools confuse obscurity for profundity' - (Nietzsche 'The Gay Science') A sentiment many Discworld characters espouse I feel.

Funny Australian writers? Well one of the best comedy tv shows I've ever seen (and this is from someone who knows the parrot sketch off by heart) has been The D-Generation - Rob Stitch, Tony Martin and others. Spicks and Specks (Adam Hills) is hilarious as is The Gruen Transfer (Wil Anderson). Anything with Andrew Denton is very well written and witty. And I agree with Q that Gina Reilly and Jane Turner from Kath and Kim also have their moments. There is also, of course, Chris Lilley. The man who brought 'rangar' into the vernacular and gave us the unforgettable 'Mr G'.
pandasthumb

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:06 am

Kath and Kim rock!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:31 am

Great list Panda.

Chris Lilley is a genius....though having trouble getting into Angry Boys.

My poor teen whom you met on Sunday has had to endure a Ja'Mie King since preschool and her head of arts is a female version of Mr G. :roll: Poor kid! The two of them form a mutual admiration society and the poor arts kids have to perform whatever "Ja'Mie" thinks she can star in and gets "Miss G" to put on to showcase her talents.

On the bright side.... every time I hear a tale of woe about HER Ja'Mie (and its a long and horrible list... its one thing to laugh at the character on the TV; its a whole different thing to have to deal with her all through your school life) everytime I hear whats happening now.. I do an amazing impersonation of Ja'Mie as I listen.... which always cracks M up and lightens the mood and the drama. My teen might have her moments but thank god she is grounded.

Ja'Mie Clip

Oh yeah.... and she was so upset about YOU Panda :D "Its not fair! If SHE can get her students assignments to HER students ahead of time why can't OUR teachers!" :D :D
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum