Your Football Stories

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Your Football Stories

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri May 08, 2009 5:13 am

To celebrate TP's new book, Unseen Academicals, released in 5 months, let's see and read about your footy stories (or rugby, netball etc).

I'm afraid my footy-playing career peaked when I was 10. :( My school did the league and cup double with the cup final being played at Darlington FC's ground (the goals were put on the edge of the penalty areas because we were only little). We won 1-0 and yours truly scored the only goal. The ball came across from the right and I rose like a salmon and powered an unstoppable header into the top corner. Actually, that's a lie! :roll: I tried to head the ball but it hit me on the cheek and dribbled over the line. :lol:

That's why in this picture I'm the one holding the cup;

You gotta love those crazy shirts!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby chapelboys » Fri May 08, 2009 6:48 am

I have always been reasonably sporty. At school i always managed to just make the first team, in whatever sport, but never was a star(or that leaping salmon) until i tried rowing. There i excelled, and won the national championships, and represented England, winning at the home international as well.
I recently retired from rowing, to concentrate on coaching a couple of crews and doing Endurance Mountain bike racing.[/img]
chapelboys

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 am

Wow! I'm impressed! :D

Where's the old rowing photo then?
Where's the interesting rowing story too?

(My photo was an attempt to replicate the cover of Unseen Academicals.)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby chapelboys » Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 pm

I will dig out an old pic. my rowing stories can go on a bit, so i will spare you that fate!!!
chapelboys

Postby chris.ph » Fri May 08, 2009 5:00 pm

i used tobe in school with chris coleman coventrys manager :) but i very rarely played football , i was into rugby, american football, and field event athletics
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Trish » Sun May 10, 2009 11:56 am

I was there. I saw the "Immaculate Reception."

Okay, I was 13 and mostly saw the back of the fat guy in front of me, but hey.
Trish

Postby NightOwl » Sat May 16, 2009 12:07 am

I am a match photographer (amongst my hobbies!) so I have spent time with players, managers and club officials over the years.

the funniest thing I have seen was a Woking player - captain Kevan Brown - disappearing down a hole on the pitch - an undergraound drain had collapsed and as he went over the spot, his legs just disappeared into the turf - for the next few minutes various people poked things into the hole, poured sand into it etc, but the game was eventually abandoned.

there is a clip of it that was used on Question of Sport. If only I had been a snapper back then!

I do have a photograph of a nubile cheerleader literally ripping the head off the mascot...
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat May 16, 2009 2:13 pm

This isn't my story but it is true and quite amusing - for the OHs of football fans anyway... :twisted:

So - group of lads, friends from when they were in primary school some of them, mad keen on footie and rabid Plymouth Argyle fans (Devonport End :roll: ) never ever miss a home game and often do the aways as well as they go into full-time employment and get mobile.

Andy (very fit, tall, white blond Viking-type *drools*) has a v. persistent girlfriend who loathes football and does everything in her power to get him not to go on Saturdays - leading to varying levels of rebellion or subterfuge on his part, so that in the end she's run out of ideas and, in a fit of petulant pique turns around and says "OK you -ing win! Go to the game with your mates - but I'm COMING WITH YOU!" :shock:

She did too - and leant against one of the barriers, (this was in the 70's when you couldn't sit down at matches) back to the pitch, not speaking to any of the lads - especially Andy - and read a mag or a book all the way through :lol:

She did that every home game until they got married and then she stopped - they divorced after 2 years marriage. I think it was because of unreasonable behaviour in that she stopped caring and they should have carried on going to the games together... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Parkstee » Sun May 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Well, my life revolves around football, my career was cut short in 2001 when a drunk driver hit me on my motorbike and I had to have replacement knee cap, since then became involved behind the scenes for my club Stocksbridge Park Steels FC, not missed a match since September 2006 when I got married which is now 155 games in a row, I run the fans website and forum and also match day reporter for our local rag, during my time also been club shop manager and chairman of the supporters club.
Parkstee

Postby Dotsie » Mon May 18, 2009 8:41 am

Mr Dotsie is chuffed being a Man Utd fan :D He was especially chuffed since it was a home game & he was there (MU won the premiership title this weekend for anyone who doesn't know)

I'm glad he goes to games, it gets him out in the fresh air & leaves me free to go out & watch Star Trek as many times as I like!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby NightOwl » Thu May 21, 2009 12:34 am

Dotsie wrote:Mr Dotsie is chuffed being a Man Utd fan :D He was especially chuffed since it was a home game & he was there (MU won the premiership title this weekend for anyone who doesn't know)

I'm glad he goes to games, it gets him out in the fresh air & leaves me free to go out & watch Star Trek as many times as I like!

i.e. Spawn of Satan in the eyes of reasonable people!

at least he goes to the games, which is more than 99% of Man U "fans" can boast, so perhaps he is 'misguided' rather than evil.
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby Dotsie » Thu May 21, 2009 8:28 am

It's not his fault they ended up being this successful! When he was a lad anyone could get a ticket cos they weren't that good. And he's actually from Manchester (and closer to Old Trafford than the other place as well).

He might be the spawn of Satan, but he's mine :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 21, 2009 9:27 am

Better the devil you know huh Dotsie :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Return to The Broken Drum