Finally a Woman Poet Laureate for the UK

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Finally a Woman Poet Laureate for the UK

Postby swreader » Sat May 02, 2009 1:39 am

Congratulations on the choice of Carol Ann Duffy as the first woman Poet Laureate of the UK!

I was so pleased to see, from the NY Times that Ms. Duffy has broken the glass ceiling.
I don't know her poetry, but the poems quoted in this article, with their focus on women and on simple things with deep meaning reminds me a bit of the current American Poet Laureate Kay Ryan whose poetry has been described as poems that turn ordinary things grand.
swreader

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat May 02, 2009 2:06 am

I hope she's a big drinker! :lol:

The salary has varied, but traditionally includes some alcohol. Ben Jonson first received a pension of 100 marks, and later an annual "terse of Canary wine". Dryden had a pension of £300 and a butt of Canary wine. Pye received £27 instead of the wine. Tennyson drew £72 a year from the Lord Chamberlain's department, and £27 from the Lord Steward's "in lieu of the butt of sack".
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tiffany » Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Yes, Congratulations to Carol Ann Duffy.
I believe she asked for the booze, I think it's Sherry, up front, as apparently the previous Poet Laureate still hadn't got his. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Return to The Broken Drum