Ghurka justice campaign

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:41 am

Yeah! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Trish » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46 am

chris.ph wrote:the gurkas are officially classified as mercenaries thats how they can get away with giving them nothing

Following that bit of logic, all soldiers are mercenaries because they are all paid.

I'm glad the gurkhas will receive citizenship; it is the least they deserve.
Trish

Postby Batty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:51 pm

The newspaper has reported that soldiers from other Commonwealth countries can apply for UK residency after just 4 years in the British Army.

Why then, does the Government insist on 20 years service from the Ghurkas? Surely that is racism?

Joanna Lumley should be made a Dame!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Straw Walker » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Batty wrote:Joanna Lumley should be made a Dame!

And what a lovely dame she'd make :D
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:59 pm

I do hope she's made one - and puts her hair up 'Patsy Stone' style when she gets her gong from the Queen :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:17 pm

a mercenary is somebody who doesnt get paid by their own government and havent pledged an allegiance to that country, i know the gurkas pledge to the queen. we had indian regiments in the british army upto ww2
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Burnalot » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Either way, mercenary or not, they definately deserve their reward for service, just as any other soldier does.

I personally find it amazing that the Gurkhas are willing to travel such a long distance to serve in the British army. Incredible display of loyalty, deserving of citizenship at the very least.
Burnalot

Postby chris.ph » Fri May 01, 2009 5:06 pm

very hard little b@@@@@rs as well :) and they deserve our support
they are the most polite killers that ive ever met :)
whenever ive had the pleasure of working with them they were fantastic but very short :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 am

I agree with Batty, the rules should be the same for all soldiers who have served alongside our own troops.

Without wishing to appear racist, and this well might appear so, I would rather have the Gurkhas here than many other immigrants. At the very least the Gurkhas have been unwaveringly loyal to us in every conflict, and they deserve the same rights as any other person serving in our miltary.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 08, 2009 12:45 pm

I got a reply from my MP after I followed the 'annoy your MP' link in Tony's letter from Joanna Lumley.

He's a Liberal Democrat (Cons and Labs don't do at all well in Cornwall... :twisted: ) and luckily is well behind the Gurkha's cause and will be there with a club to make sure the Scurrilous Scot sticks to his more recent promises
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri May 08, 2009 4:56 pm

you dont mean the dictator in charge at the moment jan(coz i gaurntee nobody on this site voted for him to be pm) :evil:
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Who else Chris? :evil:

Actually I think technically he's not alive so therefore shouldn't have even been voted in as an MP? I've never seen much passing as an emotion going on in that pale wishy-washy porridgey face but then a zombie's got more of a personality - well Reg Shoe has anyway :twisted:

8) Just come back in to say at least he's not a manicly grinning corpse like his predecessor who unfortunately was voted in the 2 times - so as it goes he's ever so slightly better if very,very, boring. So GB's better for my blood pressure as I can't actually be bothered to have an emotion back at him
Jan Van Quirm

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum