Richard Dawkins?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 am

snowballs wrote:
Oh no, I'm off on one arnt I? :oops:
:lol: Well that's what discussions about religion tend to do. Once you start questioning the things people believe in and see that there's no logic there, it's awfully difficult not to point it out. When someone insists that the world is only 6000 years old despite all the evidence to the contrary and when someone then dismisses the evidence because of a book of dubious authorage (if there is such a word), that contradicts itself frequently, it is very hard to say: 'I respect your beliefs' and actually mean it.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby snowballs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:39 am

But you can say I respect that you believe that and get away with it :D You dont have to agree with what they say or believe in only that they have the right to believe whatever they want.
For me religion is to mentally constricting as in it gives answers set in stone because somebody else (often with no education) says so.
We used to believe the world was round :D now we know different thanks to Terry :D

I wonder if there are gods, how many of them are one eyed tortoises :?:
ADHD isnt a problem it's like having another gear when you need to go faster
snowballs

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

snowballs wrote:But you can say I respect that you believe that and get away with it :D You dont have to agree with what they say or believe in only that they have the right to believe whatever they want.
For me religion is to mentally constricting as in it gives answers set in stone because somebody else (often with no education) says so.
We used to believe the world was round :D now we know different thanks to Terry :D

I wonder if there are gods, how many of them are one eyed tortoises :?:

I'm sure on an episode of QI they said there was no basis for the widely held belief that people use to think the world was flat?

Creationism isn't a religion in its own right as far as I know, it's just a part of Christianity that believes the book of Genesis is true, EVEN though most Christian religious scholars and theologians DON'T.
spideyGirl

Postby snowballs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Creationism is the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe are the creation of a supernatural being. As science developed from the 18th century onwards, various views developed which aimed to reconcile science with the Genesis creation narrative. At this time those holding that species had been separately created were generally called "advocates of creation" but they were occasionally called "creationists" in private correspondence between Charles Darwin and his friends. As the creation–evolution controversy developed, the term "anti-evolutionists" became more common, then in 1929 in the United States the term "creationism" first became specifically associated with Christian fundamentalist opposition to human evolution and belief in a young Earth, though its usage was contested by other groups, such as old earth creationists and evolutionary creationists, who believed in various concepts of creation. Today, the American Scientific Affiliation and the UK-based Christians in Science recognize that there are different opinions among creationists on the method of creation, while acknowledging unity on the Christian belief that God "created the universe."

Since the 1920s, literalist creationism in America has contested scientific theories, such as that of evolution, which derive from natural observations of the universe and life. Literalist creationists believe that evolution cannot adequately account for the history, diversity, and complexity of life on Earth. Fundamentalist creationists of the Christian faith usually base their belief on a literal reading of the Genesis creation narrative. Other religions have different deity-led creation myths, while different members of individual faiths vary in their acceptance of scientific findings. In contrast to the literalist creationists, evolutionary creationists maintain that, although evolution accounts for biodiversity, evolution itself is cosmologically attributable to a Creator deity.

When mainstream scientific research produces theoretical conclusions which contradict a literalist creationist interpretation of scripture, creationists often reject the conclusions of the research or its underlying scientific theories or its methodology. The rejection of scientific findings has sparked political and theological controversy. Two offshoots of creationism—creation science and intelligent design—have been characterized as pseudoscience by the mainstream scientific community. The most notable disputes concern the evolution of living organisms, the idea of common descent, the geological history of the Earth, the formation of the solar system and the origin of the universe.

From wikipedia, allways good for an explanation.
snowballs

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Not always accurate though :wink:
spideyGirl

Postby Dotsie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 pm

More accurate than the Encyclopedia Brittanica, apparently.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby snowballs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Dotsie wrote:More accurate than the Encyclopedia Brittanica, apparently.

I think most of the time is is accurate as it can be ammended by anybody who knows better, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm a plan to confuse the world :D
They actually got the population of our village totally wrong, on there when I looked the other day it said 2000 something in 760 odd square km, found out it is around 7000 odd, most of them living in the main village.
snowballs

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Dotsie wrote:More accurate than the Encyclopedia Brittanica, apparently.

Did it say that in wikipedia? :lol: :P
spideyGirl

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 am

:lol: No, it was an independent audit. But I don't remember who.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Re: Richard Dawkins?

Postby Evergreen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Terry Pratchet and Richard both doesnt believe in God and organized religion.And they both support assisted suicide
Terry Pratchett also said something like "i rather be risen ape then fallen angel"
I also found Terry Pratchett at wikipedia "famous atheists list"

Most ppl that believe in religions like Christiniaty hate assisted suicide and they say that all suiciders will forever burn in hell.Etc, i personally suggest read "Selfish Gene" and "God Delusion"

"...I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens,
nor should they be considered patriots."
This is one nation under god."
— George W. Bush

"Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
— Isaac Asimov
Evergreen

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books