What are we missing?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What are we missing?

Postby Dotsie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:50 pm

As has been said before, Sir Terry does seem to have read everything, and there are many references to this in his work. But it was only last year I think when I heard that the Royal Society used to be known as the Invisible College. That has to be the basis for UU. So it makes me wonder what else I'm missing? Are there any unofficial encyclopaedias with this sort of thing in?

Or you could post your owns observations here & we can write our own :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Well there's the annotations on L-Space.org which cover most of the books and go through each one. This has been compiled by Pratchett fans who have reported such things and they have been listed. However, it isn't complete and it seems to me that it hasn't been updated in quite some time. I've tried notifying them of things in the past but have not got an acknowledgement.

Have a read through the annotations - they make for great reading and you realise just how convoluted Terry's mind is. :D

We could certain add some here though - maybe start our own set of annotations.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:40 am

Ta for the link, I'll have a good old look when I've got time :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:44 am

Some of the references are mind boggling. What seems like a simple comment is often much more complex. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06 pm

I just enjoy reading Terry's books & if I see & understand a reference to anything then it gives me a good laugh, but I am not into trying to analyse where it was from originally, nor why Terry wrote it.
I had enough of that in English lit classes.
So no that is not for me. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm just reading Monty Python - All the words (all the scripts to the TV series) and in programme 10 (I think) there's a gorilla who applies for a job as a librarian.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Straw Walker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Tiffany wrote:I just enjoy reading Terry's books & if I see & understand a reference to anything then it gives me a good laugh, but I am not into trying to analyse where it was from originally, nor why Terry wrote it.

I'm with you on that Tiff. I feel quite 'chuffed' if I do recognise one of the more obscure references. :wink:
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Straw Walker wrote:
Tiffany wrote:I just enjoy reading Terry's books & if I see & understand a reference to anything then it gives me a good laugh, but I am not into trying to analyse where it was from originally, nor why Terry wrote it.

I'm with you on that Tiff. I feel quite 'chuffed' if I do recognise one of the more obscure references. :wink:

Me as well, Straw Walker. :wink:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:15 pm

they just fly straight over my head :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Polly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Me too. But I love it when I find out there are "real" people or places he refers to in his own clever ways I feel sometimes I've learned more about classical histories through the way Terry uses them inhis books than I D
Did at school
Polly

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:18 am

Well said! For all I know his shopping list is littered with historical references, I'm just not well-read enough to know what they are! (That's why I want someone to do the hard work for me)
Dotsie

Return to The Broken Drum