Real Life fans

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Real Life fans

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:29 pm

How many fans do you know IRL? I don't know any! I've tried to force the books onto friends, but they're not having any of it. Wierdos.

It makes going to events a bit tricky - walking into a room full of people dressed as elves/witches/barbarians/seamstresses can be a bit daunting! Maybe I should just get a pointy hat myself. Or a sewing basket :wink:
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:49 pm

I know loads, mainly because I've met a lot of people from Terry Pratchett boards in real life. I even met my wife Sharlene on a Pratchett board.

I've been to events and stayed with Pratchett friends in the Netherlands and the Shetland Islands. :D

But as to knowing anyone otherwise - just my brother really. It was him that got me to read Colour of Magic when it first came out.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Loads, but then my circle is predisposed to liking Discworld it would seem! My husband is a fan, but by no means as much as me, my Dad likes them, most of my friends do too, one very good friend of mine refused to read them for years because she was sick of her husband laughing out loud while he read them and reading bits out to her, but we got her in the end :twisted:
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Re: Real Life fans

Postby Colin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Dotsie wrote:How many fans do you know IRL? I don't know any! I've tried to force the books onto friends, but they're not having any of it. Wierdos.

It makes going to events a bit tricky - walking into a room full of people dressed as elves/witches/barbarians/seamstresses can be a bit daunting! Maybe I should just get a pointy hat myself. Or a sewing basket :wink:

Like Tony, I have met a great many fans IRL (including a few I wish I hadn't .. :wink: ). Agreed it can be a bit tricky entering a room full of weirdos :lol: but I can heartily recommend you give it a go.

The magic password, guaranteed to get you a warm welcome, is to ask a simple question (1) of the first person you meet!
. (1) "Hello, I'm Dotsie ... can I buy you a drink?"
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Jinx » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:56 pm

I got my GF into the Discworld series. I told her if she likes Adams she'll love Terry Pratchett. This could be construed as a lie, but in her case it was true. =D
Several colleagues all like the series too. In my old job there was at least 3 other Pratchett fans before I got there and I got a few other people into them.
I have a Rincewind coffee mug (from PJSM) in my current job, so it starts conversations anytime a fellow fan spots it.
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:18 pm

I used to have a Hogfather T-Shirt with the Josh Kirby cover (this was when the book came out) and I got so that I stopped wearing it as people would come up to me and start talking Pratchett.

The worst case was sitting in a restaurant with my family and being aware someone was standing behind me. I turned around and there was a bloke and his young son. The bloke told me his son was a fan and would I talk to him about the books. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:29 pm

I was attending a training course last week and at the start of the week we each had to introduce ourselves and talk about what we do at work and also what we do out of work.

I mentioned that I am the editor of Discworld Monthly and the person sat next to me chipped in to say that he had been reading DWM since issue 1. It kinda knocked me off my stride.

I had two similar experiences at the Royal Berks Hospital recently. In the two times that I have had to take my wife for check-ups at the maternity ward I have bumped into other Discworld fans. One was another expectant father and say my Discworld t-shirt and the other was someone that asked if I was going to the Convention this year.

I think the best one was when I phoned up my mobile phone company to sort something out. When I gave my name the lady at the other end says, that's funny you have the same name as the editor of a Discworld newsletter I read. It was slightly surreal trying to sort out my telephone issues with somebody who was so excited to talk to me.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:49 pm

:lol: You're almost as famous as Terry, Jason. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:19 pm

infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Bickaxe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Golly...a moderator that doesn't lie :wink:

Apart from the ones I've met through other fan boards.... my ex and a couple of guys on a gamers forum. Otherwise nobody.

You know how there are some things in life you regret..... :lol:
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Colin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:39 am

Moderator - Jason wrote:infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy.

Blimey! I didn't know Kenneth Williams did impressions of Jason ... :shock:
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Popcap » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 am

one... though he's basicly a fan of all books existing XD
Popcap

Re: Real Life fans

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 am

Colin wrote: (1) "Hello, I'm Dotsie ... can I buy you a drink?"

PMSL! That should do it, I'll be surrounded with new friends in no time.

There is one person that I work with, who said "Ooh I'm a fan too. Isn't it sad that he's got cancer?" So I can't see her wanting to go to conventions with me.
Dotsie

Postby Jinx » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:56 am

How many subscribers you at now Jason?
DWM is one of only two newsletters (out of the many*) I actually like seeing arrive in my inbox.

* - If you're a troll I wasn't counting to 4, I meant a really big number. err... a really big number that is more than 4.
Jinx

Postby Jeannie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:54 am

IRL I only know three other Terry Pratchett fans, one being the lovley Toothy :D

I was at a barbeque with the other two fans I know recently, my lovely hubby had gotten himself into trouble and was getting the 'glare of doom' from me when the moment was ruined by a cry from behind us of...

"Oh wailey wailey, it's the foldin' of the arms, the pursin' of the lips, the tappin' o' the feets!!!"

which of course made me collapse in a heap of giggles thus rendering my glare ineffective :roll: :lol:
Jeannie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum