No
12%
Curious
4%

Total votes : 49

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:44 am

Quel surprise! :lol:

Good news if not exactly unexpected :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby DaveC » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 am

I was a bit worried there for a while!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Finomans » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:23 pm

They better do every single thing that is in the book. because I thought leaving out Tom Bombadill was really stupid of them he was one of my favorite characters. And they are going to do it in two parts and of all of the LORT books the hobbit is one of the thinnest.
goat who is this goat
Finomans

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Tom B's not everyone's favourite of course - he's certainly an acquired taste and it's arguable that the Old Forest segments would have added much to the action narrative of the Trilogy :roll: But then as Christopher Lee pointed out rather vigorously, cutting the Scouring of the Shire out of the ending was virtually a criminal act and failed to properly vindicate the Shire Hobbits involvement altogether... :evil:

However - this is Hollywood and Tolkien's not around to do his nut over liberties taken. :shock:

With the Hobbit I think it won't get cut quite so indiscriminately as it's largely more action-based than some parts of the LotR (being written for younger people with a limited attention span which does roughly equate to that of a 'normal' cinema audience will help a lot in this I think... :wink: ) so less likely to be skipped over quite so cavalierly. The thing with having 2 movies is that the Hobbit encompasses, but does not go into canon lore that Tolkien only made very brief references to in the book - the Siege of Dol Guldur. This event takes place in the south of Mirkwood, a couple of hundred miles away from the track Bilbo and the dwarves took, and is what will be featured in the later parts of the films. For the film-makers it's simply a case of following Gandalf when he parts company with the dwarves after they leave the house of Beorn the skin-changer and go South to meet Elrond, Celeborn, Radagast and Saruman and push the Necromancer out of his lair. The military sequences are likely to be spectacularly heavy on the CGI as there are a lot of magic-wielders in there so it's quite a mixed feeling of anticipation and apprehension as to how much of this will be put in as Tolkien only made fairly light sketches accounting for this event, which in fact is more important lore-wise than Bilbo finding the ring in some respects :shock:

Anyway - the 3 films were successful on the whole if you can get over certain aberrations (the Scouring and ditching Glorfindel in favour of Arwen were the worst ones for me) and TBH for modern audiences trying to squeeze everything in would likely have lessened the wow factor for some of the less dynamic events, so horses for courses I suppose :?

I very much doubt that the Silmarillion will be made over in my lifetime - but I live to be amazed in that respect :lol: :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: The Hobbit is finally greenlit!

Postby Stumped » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:00 pm

This is great news! :D There is so much hard work and talent that goes into these films. I applaud Peter Jackson for being so committed with them.
Stumped

Postby DaveC » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 am

Couldn't be bothered to start a new thread. The first video diary entry from the set of The Hobbit is now online at Peter Jackson's Facebook page! It's 10 mins long! :) I can't watch it, though, as I am off on holiday, at my missus' family who have no computer, now and only have 3G internet on my phone. :( Enjoy!

http://m.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Jackson/141884481557?_rdr

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 am

Cheers Dave. Its the best video diary in the history of the world. You'd love it . Ah well :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 am

Bugger - it wants you to login! :evil: No time now but will get to it later - thanks for the linkie Dave :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby DaveC » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Bugger - it wants you to login! :evil: No time now but will get to it later - thanks for the linkie Dave :wink:
No probs. I'm currently an hour into a 3 and a half hour journey from London to Norfolk... :roll:

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby unseenu » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Really exited about these movies,apparently Sylvester McCoy is making an appearance as Radagast the Brown,one of the lesser known wizards
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby Penfold » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Thank you for the linkie Dave. Hope you and your Mrs have a great holiday. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby meerkat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:31 am

Richard Armitage.....sigh......Image
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby fids » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 pm

In 3D too

Martin Freeman just fits the bill perfectly

Can't wait.
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby DaveC » Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 am

One for you Del, the guy from Pushing Daisies is is the Elf King in The Hobbit! :D

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/05/03/pushing-daisies-star-is-hobbit%e2%80%99s-elf-king/
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/notes/peter-jackson/casting-news/10150239464391558

Dean O'Gorman will be playing Fili. Dean's a terrific Kiwi actor, who I am thrilled to be working with. He's recently been in an excellent TV series down here called "The Almighty Johnsons", and I should let fans of that show know that our shooting schedule allows Dean to continue with a second series next year. Dean will be joining us next week.

I'm also pleased to announce that Lee Pace will be playing the Elven King Thranduil. Casting these Tolkien stories is very difficult, especially the Elven characters, and Lee has always been our first choice for Thranduil. He's going to be great. We loved his performance in a movie called "The Fall" a few years ago, and have been hoping to work with him since. When we were first discussing who would be right for Thranduil, Lee came into mind almost immediately.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby meerkat » Tue May 03, 2011 11:08 am

Good news for the Kiwis! They could do with a boost.

Shame though, that they didn't use the Black Hills in wales where the Mountains of Moira really are!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre