The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Have you ever met any politician who lives in the same reality as we do?
(on how many pages have we actually talked bout the book by now?)
Most of them actually. :lol:

This may sound stupid, but every time I read this book I curse Mrs Whitlow for closing the window after her. It's not like she's going to do it any different the next time I read the book. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Have you ever met any politician who lives in the same reality as we do?

This may sound stupid, but every time I read this book I curse Mrs Whitlow for closing the window after her. It's not like she's going to do it any different the next time I read the book. :lol:

Hey, there are people rewatching thelma&louise hoping they'll make the jump this time
LilMaibe

Postby meerkat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, I live in hope that the butler might drop the dressing gown in the bath scene from 1995 Pride and Prejudice! I replay and replay and does he? Noooo! :cry: :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Tonyblack wrote:

I admit I hate that part SOOOO much I read it out the corner of my eye.
deldaisy

Postby meerkat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:45 pm

I could slap her, I know that! You expect the Bursar to do that sort of stupid thing!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm

But what I want to know is..... did noone MISS them.... even if not the wizards.... wouldn't someone have missed Mrs Whitlow? Go looking for them? I know the uni is vast... and where would you start.... but did noone know? at all? Wasn't she bringing them some food or something? Wasn't there evidence left behind?
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:58 pm

deldaisy wrote:But what I want to know is..... did noone MISS them.... even if not the wizards.... wouldn't someone have missed Mrs Whitlow? Go looking for them? I know the uni is vast... and where would you start.... but did noone know? at all? Wasn't she bringing them some food or something? Wasn't there evidence left behind?
I wondered that as she seems to have left people behind in the room. But it does say that once the portal is closed it probably won't open in the same place again. So even if they had opened the window, chances are they'd only see the university grounds. :)

Oh yes - I spotted another song reference. Once the Wet arrives we get this bit:

'Can you hear that thunder? said Ridcully, as a rumble rolled across the city. 'We'd better take cover . . . '

This song. :D
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Yep! Got that one.

I was looking through my pics on my phone today with a g/f adn I came across some I took in the Koala Park up the road... we drive through it if we have to waste 15 minutes on a hot afternoon before going somewhere else for something; its way cooler in there. (Looking for fairies, but usually only finding kangaroos)....

Its National Park. I have pics on my phone of the "red trees"... the trees are usually very black.... then they pop thier bark and the trunks are bright red to deep red.... gorgeous especialy as the rest of the forest is green, gray, black and then the red POPS (image wise... they don't explode)

Oh yeah... I thought.... the trees where the bark drops off! But.. thats... normal for those.

Some trees can tell you the weather... if a VERY big storm system is coming... and I don't mean one storm.... trees that don't normally drop thier bark... suddenly pop the bark and drop it over a few days.... ohhhhhhh.... bad bad summer coming. :shock:

Other things I take for granted... Silky Oak trees won't bloom if they aren't in drought conditions. And alot of trees, the seeds won't germinate unless they go through bushfires, then they use the ash to grow in (and conditions are better because they have more light because the overstory of leaves and tall trees is missing.... amazing huh.... that nature stuff.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 pm

That's an interesting question. We need a study involving a schrodinger quantifier, a relative dimension stabiliser, and a cucumber. :)

I'm guessing that the amount of politicians living in what we think of reality is less than 1%.

Now, back to The Last Continent, hopefully without seeing connections that aren't there. Dibbler is homophobic, but that's also the way Monty Python's Bruces saw the world. And I quote from the Woolamaloo University faculty rules (which is also racist, so be warned):

Bruce wrote:1. No poofters.
2. No member of the faculty is to maltreat the Abos in any way whatsoever—if there's anyone watching.
3. No poofters.
4. I don't want to catch anyone not drinking in their room after lights out.
5. No poofters.
6. There is no... rule six.
7. No poofters.

See? It's about how people in England see Aussies, or rather, country Aussies. Python and Pratchett merely play around with those preconceptions.

Australia tends to get the wrong end of the stick in some British humour. In the very first episode of The Goodies, when Graeme demonstrates his rent-a-view picture window, he shows three locations with appropriate muzak. London gets approval, to the backing of 'Any Old Iron', and Paris, with a backing of some stereotypically French music, gets a giggle from Bill. But as soon as Sydney comes up to the tune of 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport', Bill Oddie howls "TURN IT OFF!" :(
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 am

But that was part of the long running send up of Rolf Harris rather than Australia.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pandasthumb » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

I think, because, Rolf is really a Pom.

:wink:
pandasthumb

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:03 am

He was pretty much the face of Australia over here for many years. If you asked a Brit to name 10 Australian things, then Rolf would have been pretty high of that list.

Mind you, when Brits were asked to name the most famous artist in the world, they named Rolf Harris. :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:15 am

pandasthumb wrote:I think, because, Rolf is really a Pom.

:wink:

Well he was born in Australia but his parents are Welsh. Bloody Welsh get everywhere :wink:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:22 am

:lol: The current Australian Prime Minister was born in Barry, South Wales. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby inca » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

The book made me realize how little I know about Australia. There's about two books I've read that take place there, and I have seen the odd spot of Neighbours and Flying Doctors. Oh, and McCleod's daughters... but that's it! So most of the jokes went right over my head. (The ever more manic 'no worries' though... that one I got :) )

I even missed vegemite since I don't know the stuff. Can't say that it sounds like much to miss, but I was reading it and knowing there's some joke to be made, and I had no clue. (Althoug, reading it that way, it gives you a perfect idea about how ridiculous our actual world is. Nobody would fall for such an improbable thing in a story - it's only funny because it's real :) )
inca

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels