Are Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin related?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quilpusha » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:57 am

. . . his website http://www.thegoldensprout.com/ has 2 (two) members.

Enough I would imagine.

His Titles do not have an original idea - vergeing on plagiarism.

And he writes about Brentford. Pah!
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:40 am

That's his NEW website.:roll:

This is his old website 8)

It has 509 members and 19,634 articles posted.
This site has 604 members and 12,099 articles posted.

http://www.sproutlore.com/forum/
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 am

The old Rankin forum site has been going since 2006 (or thereabouts) hence the high numbers of articles published, so stats yet again can say what you like.

Anyway this isn't a competition to see who's best or most popular, but the similarities in the writing styles (isn't it?).

I can't comment, but Terry obviously like Rankin's books which is a huge compliment in itself. He's obviously a well-read chap and I would imagine that reading a book by someone other than yourself is something of pleasure for an author - after all you know what's coming next in your own work don't you? :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:11 am

(BTW I only started this thread coz I just noticed that Josh Kirby had done a couple of Robert Rankin early covers)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:(BTW I only started this thread coz I just noticed that Josh Kirby had done a couple of Robert Rankin early covers)

AHA so you're the cover judger? The artwork is very nice, but I still maintain that the titles are pants :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Dotsie wrote:AHA so you're the cover judger? The artwork is very nice, but I still maintain that the titles are pants :lol:

No I'm not! :roll:

I read the two books in question years ago. It was only two days ago that I discovered the original first editions had Josh Kirby covers, that's why I started this thread!

Anyway, I think the titles are funny and just another of his running gags. How can anyone NOT want to read a book called "The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse" or "Sex and drugs and sausage rolls" or "Nostradamus ate my hamster" ?:lol:

The first one I read was "Web Site Story" and the only reason I bought it in the first place, was because on the front of the book was the Terry Pratchett endorsement.

Married woman to sexy single woman
"Have you ever considered marrying, yourself?"
"Why would I want to marry myself?" :lol:

Army officer
"OK, Fire at will!"
"Which one of them's Will sir?" :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Quilpusha » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:13 pm

. . . if that is an example of Rankin humour, for sure I will not be reading anything by him any time soon.
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:34 pm

They're funnier in context when you're not expecting them :D
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm

lol - so what you're saying in a nutshell is - you had to be there? :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Aaww bless! You've tried so hard, I promise I will at least look at one :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Tonyblack wrote::lol:

Oh I'd certainly recommend him to people (and have). Yes I've read about three or four of his books - some were pretty good and at least one (The Antipope I think) I didn't find particularly funny at all.

Would I go out of my way to read his books? Probably not - but if I saw one in a charity shop for less than a Pound, I'd probably buy it and read it. :P

That's what I'll do then. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:11 am

...well how about (last try);

"To understand your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. He might still be your enemy but at least you're a mile away, and he hasn't got any shoes" :lol:

You don't think that's funny?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

didnt rincewind come out with something like that :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:31 am

Shh! I'm trying to catch them out!
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby TheMole » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:25 pm

:D I thought Rincewind used to run a mile without his shoes, while his enemy was still staring at them

anyway, it also reminded me of Maskerade:

'Before you criticize someone, Gytha, walk a mile in their shoes,' said Granny, with a faint smile.
'In those shoes she was wearin', I'd twist my ankle,' said Nanny, gritting her teeth.
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum