Breaking and Decorating

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Breaking and Decorating

Postby Heyesey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Well, technically not breaking - but I was prompted to come and find this forum because this news story reminded me irresistibly of Terry's "anti-crime" notion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/here ... 967951.stm

Grade I Listed Pub painted pink by mystery vandals. I wonder if they've read "Reaper Man?"
Heyesey

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:23 pm

:lol: That's hysterical! :lol:

Welcome to the site Heyesey.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi Heyesey, welcome. I think it looks good pink. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby mspanners » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:03 am

Several thousand pounds to fix........ :?:

Just paint over the Pink in the original colours......... a couple of Hundred Quid tops. 8)
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:25 am

welcome to the site heysay :lol:
it doesnt work like that on an insurance job mspanner , youve got to get risk assessments done ,scaffolding everything will be done at least three times ie filling a mist coat ,a covering coat and a finishing coat. that doesnt even include the windows,doors and any other exterior woodwork. youve got all the labour costs and materials , so yes a cost of several grand is highly probable :lol: :lol: :lol:
ps i could go on with this for several pages :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:47 am

Also, if this is a listed building, I don't suppose they can just buy a couple of cans of Dulux Weathershield. I suspect they'll have to remove the pink paint and use a traditional and acceptable whitewash.
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:00 am

And there we have it, common sense is out of the window today.... a Job that should cast no more than a few Hundred Quid is blow up to a major thing by Red tape and officious bureaucracy.

Where's the Grim Reaper when you need Him ................ the establishment needs thinning out! :shock:

Come the revolution thay will be against the wall!!

Power to the people from the tooting popular front.... :lol:
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:24 am

:lol:

I'm almost inclined to agree until I think about the Victorians. Take Cardiff Castle for example. A Roman fort that was later a Norman castle that was happily sitting there in a state of decay and along came this fabulously wealthy guy and decided he'd like a fantasy Medieval castle to live in. Here are the original bits and here's the Victorian monstrosity that was plonked on top of it:

I think having some control on historic buildings is a good idea generally. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:56 am

I've got a post card of the original Cardiff Castle, Tony. I didn't know someone had altered it! :shock: :( :roll: It must have cost a bomb to re-build it. :shock: I really am surprised he was allowed to do that. :shock:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Tiffany wrote:I've got a post card of the original Cardiff Castle, Tony. I didn't know someone had altered it! :shock: :( :roll: It must have cost a bomb to re-build it. :shock: I really am surprised he was allowed to do that. :shock:
Like I say - that's the Victorians for you. :roll: And this guy, the Marquis of Bute, was one of the richest men in the world at the time. Coal and steel were the oil of the time and people like him were like the oil sheiks in Saudi Arabia as far as wealth was concerned.

Most of what you see these days at Cardiff Castle are only about 150 years old or so.
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:32 pm

No listed buildings in those days either, Tony, just the gentry in their manor houses, who had the influence.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Looking again at the title of the thread, didn't a whirlwind break in somewhere on Discworld & redecorate? In an alternate universe scenario? Or have I been eating cheese before bedtime again?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Dotsie wrote:Looking again at the title of the thread, didn't a whirlwind break in somewhere on Discworld & redecorate? In an alternate universe scenario? Or have I been eating cheese before bedtime again?
It comes under the heading of an "Anti-Crime" according to the Companion. It's mentioned in Reaper man. :?

But the whirlwind does sound familiar.
Tonyblack

Postby big yan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:48 pm

seven grand!!!
i work in disaster restoration and if we put a quote in for that we'd hear the laughter from lands end!

anyone got the landlords phone number. i've got a couple of lads quiet next week
big yan

Postby Jason » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Wasn't it also in Soul Music. Didn't Glod decorate all the hotel rooms they visited. Sort of opposite of The Who?
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Next

Return to The Broken Drum