Just the flowers, ma'am

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:57 am

Wow gorgeous pics everyone, will get clicking and load some up soon. Our garden is full of spring, butterflys, bees, ladybirds and unfortunately ants on my apple tree :shock:
spideyGirl

Postby Penfold » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:39 am

Thank you all. I think its probably blackthorn as well (after looking at other pics on the 'net). :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby deldaisy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Lovely pics, Penners! :D It's so nice to see so much colour after what seems like such a long winter.

Funny what you take for granted huh.... its coming into autumn now and we can finally wear jeans without melting. Even had my shoulders covered tonight.

Even right through winter our city will be alive with colour as the trees bloom.

What is your birthday flower? (NOT what tradition says is your birth flower)

What I do for the children is..... I know what bushes, trees and flowers come out leading up to thier birthday. It was lovely when they were young to get excited with flame trees, or tibouchinas blooming and knowing their birthday was due. :D Found my 23 yr old pointing out her "tree" to her boyfriend the other day. Millions of wattle trees are in blooming right now.

So what blooms in the month leading up to YOUR birthday? to signal your day.
deldaisy

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:02 pm

I have only seen a Flame tree once, what is the "name" of it? I am going to be landscaping now that we are closing the paintball field and am looking for beauty for our 1.9 acre chunk up here in NukeLand.

Edit: Violets, been nuts about 'em for decades. :wink:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby deldaisy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Here in Australia they are Illawarra flame trees, Brachychiton acerifolius.

They look spectacular if you plant them with Jacaranda Trees which bloom purple. I love when I drive into the city and the hills are covered red roof houses, the trees are covered in purple, and then a blinding red flame tree.

If you have a temperate climate Tina you should be able to grow them. My sister planted a huge massive garden out on a property up north (she was a horticulturist/landscaper as is my brother). She planted a Jacaranda, a flame tree and a bougenvillia as a clump.... when they bloomed it was like this amazing GIANT vase of flowers in the middle of the home paddock. All bloomed together and not too showy for the rest of the year but when they DID bloom... amazingly beautiful.
deldaisy

Postby chris.ph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:49 pm

are those primroses :!: :!: :!: i always thought they were weeds
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:54 pm

chris.ph wrote:are those primroses :!: :!: :!: i always thought they were weeds
The definition of 'weed' is something growing where you don't want it to. If it's growing in the countryside it's a wild plant, not a weed. :)

These are primroses, chris.

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:06 pm

those are the ones growing out of my wall :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Broccolee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:49 pm

I have the great luck to have my birthday on the first of may.EVERYTHING is out when I have my birthday,but I especially love the cherry blossoms,because they look so beautifully pink and ruffled.That comes out end of April,too,so I guess thats the reason I love them so much.Besides,theys are one of the few flowers that come out in spring I´m not allergic to!!!
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Great pictures! It's still cold here. :(
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby deldaisy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:53 pm

spideyGirl wrote:Wow gorgeous pics everyone, will get clicking and load some up soon. Our garden is full of spring, butterflys, bees, ladybirds and unfortunately ants on my apple tree :shock:

See here for ants on your trees....and yes the ants are usually farming something else in your tree.

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/p/17935/19068.aspx
deldaisy

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Penfold wrote:Thank you all. I think its probably blackthorn as well (after looking at other pics on the 'net). :D

The Blackthorn is doing really well this year. From the pictures I took on The Heart of England Way yesterday

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Oooh, I would like to get a Blackthorn tree.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby deldaisy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:51 pm

1.9 hectares???? OHHHHHHHH how wonderful Tina! How ecxciting for you.

Start collecting pics of gorgeous trees you love, do up a plan and start planting hun. :D Best idea is to drive.... look around your area... any tree or shrub or plant that is doing well in the most neglected house or park will do well through all times, lean and good.

A long as you give your trees a good start in life and make the hole huge to let them settle in, lots of blood and bone dug in and good soil if only in the hole for starters, and look after them the first two years they will give much love for years to come. Hint: Our local scientific org has discovered if you dig a SQUARE hole to plant, trees bed down better than a round hole :shock:

And don't forget to take pics of the Nuke site so you can get all goosey smug when its all green.
deldaisy

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:34 pm

deldaisy wrote:
spideyGirl wrote:Wow gorgeous pics everyone, will get clicking and load some up soon. Our garden is full of spring, butterflys, bees, ladybirds and unfortunately ants on my apple tree :shock:

See here for ants on your trees....and yes the ants are usually farming something else in your tree.

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/p/17935/19068.aspx

Grossed out now :shock: but also grateful, cheers Deldaisy :D
spideyGirl

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum