Mission - Patrick Tilley

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Mission - Patrick Tilley

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:42 pm

I read this book a long time ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. Mission by Patrick Tilley.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Not that one but I did read and mostly enjoy that post-apocalypse series he wrote which was vaguely techie cowboys living underground versus mutant indians surface-dwellers? Nice twist for the mutants anyway... :wink: And the oriental hairless japanesie types living in Canada? PMSL
The Amtrak Wars! :lol: Boy am I glad I dredged that one up! :twisted:

There was one little bit in there where they had some observer-type techie who committed the awful crime of listening to 'illegal' music by Van Gelis whilst watching some freaky cloud vids he'd made. There may have been a sequel series to that after that but I never looked for it
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:16 pm

god i read the amtrak years ago , i think ill go and dig them out for a reread :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:38 am

Mission is all about Jesus popping up in 1980s New York.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:34 am

Did he get on MTV? :shock:

Seriously -god stuff (or son of) generally sends me off in the opposite direction to the bookshelf, so i've never read it. I really should be broad-minded but all irretrievably lapsed catholics have these tendencies - reactionary nurture over nature I s'pose.

If I read morality stuff the deity substitutes generally have pointy ears - then I can handle it :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby baruch menachem » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Mission is all about Jesus popping up in 1980s New York.

Did he visit with a televangelist? Would be the same kind of talk as Dostoyevsky's Grand Inquisitor. "We don't need you anymore, because we are the religion now... and your kind of thing just gets in the way of what people actually want, and our goals."
It would be a mistake to think that they weren't also dangerous, just because reading them didn't make fireworks go off in the sky. Reading them sometimes did the more dangerous trick of making fireworks go off in the privacy of the reader's brain.
baruch menachem

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:57 pm

Isnt he the one that wrote the books about some sort of nuclear train that does weird things to the people that live on it, i remember they used paragliders or something to scout ahead for the train tracks, i think there were 6 books in the series but im buggered if i can rememeber what they were called.
The_Discworldaholic

Postby chris.ph » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

have a look at the top of this thread :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:34 pm

and its in bright red :lol: :lol:
chris.ph

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:55 pm

:oops: lol didnt see that was probably half asleep when i read it, ive been piled up with work this last couple of weeks and its getting to me now :(
The_Discworldaholic

Postby nickinwestwales » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:47 am

Read a couple of the AMTRAKs way back when-also seem to recall one called `Fade Out`-in the same mould as some of the Niven/Pournelle stuff-worth a look
ATB
Nick
nickinwestwales

Postby deldaisy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Nick
Have we welcomed you officially yet?

The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:13 pm

welcomr to the site nick :)
chris.ph

Return to Non-Discworld books