Terry on The Sky At Night

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Terry on The Sky At Night

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Sorry to those of you not in the UK, but Terry was on The Sky At Night tonight at Patrick Moore's 88th birthday party. Asked what his favourite constellation was, he chose Orion. :D

See the episode on the BBC iPlayer HERE.

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Cool. Will check it out when I get home. Don't think I have ever seen a whole episode, only bits. Looking forward to Mastermind on Thursday, am curious as to why DW is suddenly allowed. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 pm

You beat me to it Tony but you would have had the better link. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 am

It's an interesting show, Dave. Well worth checking out. :D
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:59 am

Is it this months episode? My sky box fail to record it! Thanks for the link..... 8)
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:10 am

mspanners wrote:Is it this months episode? My sky box fail to record it! Thanks for the link..... 8)
I don't know to be honest. It was just the episode that was on the BBC iPlayer last night. :D
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 am

Well thanks anyways, was a good episode!

Orion is the only constellation I can pick out with any certainty in the Sky!
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 am

Ursa Major - The Great Bear or The Big Dipper is an easy one to spot as well. :D

Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:55 am

...or the Plough (as we say in England :roll: )
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 am

poohcarrot wrote:...or the Plough (as we say in England :roll: )
Darn it, I was trying to remember what we call it. My mind went blank. :lol:

It's a useful constellation as it's almost always visible from Britain (weather permitting) it points to Polaris (the North Star) and is a good starting point for finding other constellations.

I'm no expert though and can only recognise a few of the 88 constellations.
Tonyblack

Postby Willem » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:18 am

In the Netherlands we either call it 'de Grote beer' (dutch translation of Ursa Major) or 'het steelpannetje' meaning something like 'the longhandled cooking pan'. It looks more like that last one... you'd think those cavemen who first thought up the name would have seen that too!
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 am

Wikipedia wrote:In both Ireland and Great Britain, this pattern is known as the Plough or sometimes the Saucepan. It is also occasionally referred to as the Butcher's Cleaver in northern England. In Ireland the figure is sometimes called the Starry Plough and has been used as a political symbol. Known as Charles his waine in some areas of England, it was formerly called by the old name Charles' Wain[1] ("wain" meaning "wagon," and derived from the still older Carlswæn), as it still is in Scandinavia, Karlavagnen, Karlsvogna, or Karlsvognen. In the northeast of England it is sometimes known as Charlie's Waggon. A folk etymology holds that it was named after Charlemagne, but this common Germanic name meant the men's wagon (the churls' wagon), in contrast to the women's wagon (the Little Dipper).[2][3] An older Odin's Wain may have preceded these Nordic designations.[1] Similarly, in Romanian and most Slavic languages it is known as "the Great Wagon", as opposed to "the Small Wagon," the Little Dipper. In German it is called Großer Wagen (Great Cart).

In Dutch, its official name is Grote Beer ( Big Bear), but often called Steelpannetje (saucepan), because of its resemblance to the utensil.

In Finland the figure is known as Otava and widely used as a cultural symbol. In Finnish dialects, the word otava means a 'salmon net', but this word is largely obsolete in modern Finnish.

In Hungary, it is commonly called Göncölszekér ("Göncöl's cart") after a figure in Hungarian mythology, a táltos who carried medicines in his cart that could cure any disease.[4]

These seven stars (septentriones, from the phrase septem triōnēs, meaning "seven plough oxen"[5]) are the origin of the Latin word septentriōnēs meaning "north" and now found as the adjective septentrional (northern) in English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. This etymology goes back to a passage in Varro (Marcus Terentius) who explains that triōn- (a word not attested elsewhere) means "plough ox" and derives the form from terō, one of whose meanings is "thresh grain by rubbing". The derivation is acceptable (Latin short vowels often syncopate before -r- in medial syllables), but the meaning, if Varro is right about the root derivation, is surely "threshing ox", as the seven stars (oxen) perpetually wheel about the pole star like oxen on a threshing floor. A different etymology appeals to *septem astr-iōn- "seven stars" (aster-), which is not obviously wrong (if lacking poetic inspiration), but the development of *-nstr- to -ntr- is not without problems.

Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:05 am

That was fascinating. And I understood nearly everything except when they got onto the telescopes!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby polythenegirl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:05 am

DaveC wrote:Cool. Will check it out when I get home. Don't think I have ever seen a whole episode, only bits. Looking forward to Mastermind on Thursday, am curious as to why DW is suddenly allowed. :)

Diswrold is on MM? WOW! I have to watch it :D
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby DaveC » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 am

polythenegirl wrote:
DaveC wrote:Cool. Will check it out when I get home. Don't think I have ever seen a whole episode, only bits. Looking forward to Mastermind on Thursday, am curious as to why DW is suddenly allowed. :)

Diswrold is on MM? WOW! I have to watch it :D

Mastermind thread
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett