Favourite?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:10 pm

welometo the site matey :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:57 pm

Tiffany wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:Hi,Welcome to the site! toby1. :)
And welcome from me too. :)

Welcome from me three, Toby1. :)
This is starting to become a trend. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby lance-constable rose » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:50 pm

a big hello from me :D
A lie will go around the world before Truth has even got his boots on.
lance-constable rose

Postby Brummie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm a huuuuuge Watch fan. The characters are so well fleshed out now in the series that reading the novels is like hanging out with old friends and colleagues.

I've recently got back into the Discworld novels having rabidly tore through the (then) entire series in a few short months back in 1996 after a college friend introduced me by way of Pyramids. Must admit that there are some of the earlier novels I haven't re-read since then so will have to get round to re-aquainting myself before making a definitive choice for favourite. :wink:

That said... Anything set in AM is going to be a likely winner for me! :D

Oh and... hi all! Nice to be here! :wink:
Last edited by Brummie on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brummie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Welcome to the site Brummie! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Brummie! Enjoy your rediscovery :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:10 am

My favourite are Jingo, Hogfather, Pyramids, Thief of time (half - the bits with Lu-Tze and Susan), Going Postal, The Truth, Interesting Times, Last Continent, Guards Guards, Nation and Good Omens.

My least favourites are Monstrous Regiment (too depressing), Making money (silly ending), Wintersmith (Tiffany was stupid) and Maurice (not quite sure why I'm not too keen on it).

(Ooh! A touch controversial :wink: )

The ones not mentioned are merely excellent!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

fave books

Postby lance-constable rose » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:02 pm

having just read nightwatch its really made me reevaluate the character of sam vimes and hes now become my 2nd fave character after carrot :)
A lie will go around the world before Truth has even got his boots on.
lance-constable rose

Postby Polly » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm

My favourite is good omens - first one of terry books I read & still my fab 20 years later! least fab.is nation but this is one of the few books I've bought that i've struugled to read - only other was Lotr..but I will get there with it

Other faves are the watch books & of course the witches!
Polly

Postby hunnibal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:37 am

I like SMALL GOD - It cover every aspects I like. It happened to be a little bit dizzy for me at the beginning but Overall is quite impressive.

Other books also Great too but I like to mention Small God.....

Cheers :D
hunnibal

Postby Omnia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Oh no, I find it far too difficult to pick just one discworld novel as my favourite!

I have already admitted to my top 5 novels though, so out of those I could perhaps get away with saying that my favourite is Carpe Jugulum.

There are far too many themic reasons why I love this book. I really like Agnes who is always in two minds about things without being indecisive, I like how Mightly Oats comes to realise that belief starts with the individual and the small things that one can achieve. I like how Granny overcomes the Vampyres who try to 'better' themselves and who seem to represent the modern way of living. there are so many things I like about this book that I can't think how to express all of them :wink:
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Postby Perdita X » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Given that we (mostly ) seem to read these books again and again I have taken the view that my favourite could well be the one I have re- read the most and this book will therefore be the one in the worst condition.

My most dogeared is a close run thing between Thief of Time and Carpe Jugulum - then Nightwatch and then Lords and Ladies and then the fifth Elephant - but that one also seems to have been in the bath with me at some point.

No, actually, this wont do as a selection method these are my most favourite - best first
Carpe Jugulum (I ain't been vampired, you've been Weatherwaxed!)
Night Watch
Thief of Time
Thud
Lords and Ladies
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby feanor » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Ayup All...

Only one. Reaper Man...

As Death is my Favourite Character, (VERY closely followed by Granny Weatherwax) Not least because he's like Humans once were before we either got Cynical or 'Civilised',He shows his real concern for the Living as not just recipients of 'The Duty', when under attack from the Auditors, and thus shows his 'Humanity' in a way i feel we all need to do to eachother if we're to survive as a species. When I Die, I hope he shows up. I shan't be afraid then, even though i'm a Christian... Not bad for a fictional character... but then, that could be me... :wink:
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Perdita X » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 am

Oh Yes! Me too Feanor! (although Atheist, not a Christian) - Reaper Man and Hogfather are the next two

My favourite bit of Reaper Man is when they are at the dance - and after their last dance Miss Flitwick says something about "thats what death does to you" and he says something like "no that's what life does to you" - I always shed a tear at how beautifully Terry puts that whole scene together - and I often re-read it just so I can have a little cry - Am I what is known around these parts as "Sad"?! :oops:
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby brookrenwick » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 am

The 'Colour of Magic'. It was the first book of Terry Pratchetts that I read and it made a fantastic impression on my fresh, virgin senses.[/img]
I could realy go one of those hotdogs. Ooh so yummy.
brookrenwick

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels