Duplicate Posting and Error Message

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Duplicate Posting and Error Message

Postby Jason » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:49 pm

There appears to be an intermittent error on the forum at the moment. Which it appears Colin has become a victim of.

Sometimes when you post a message you get a message that states:

Ran into problems sending mail. Response 551 Bad Recipient

I have reported the error and hopefully this will get resolved soon.
Last edited by Jason on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:11 pm

I came across this a few times - the post goes ahead, so you don't need to repost it if you get that message. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Colin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:13 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I came across this a few times - the post goes ahead, so you don't need to repost it if you get that message. :wink:

Yes, I know that NOW! :P :roll: :wink:
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Statsman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:39 pm

Me too! :roll:
Statsman

Postby Periwinkle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:06 pm

And me guys! 8)
Peace and be Wild!
Periwinkle

Postby Throat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:07 pm

I should have read this thread before I whined about the error elsewhere. :oops:
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard.
Throat

Postby qvize » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:38 pm

And me :lol:
qvize

Postby Jason » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:47 pm

SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol is the standard used for sending email messages. And a 551 error signifies that the user isn't recognised as a local user.

This suggests to me that somebody has requested to be emailed whenever a new reply is posted but the forum hasn't had its email settings correctly configured.

As I said at the top of the mail, a request has been sent in and hopefully the tech guys that set up the forum will sort this out as soon as possible.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby squigglyx » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 pm

:oops: triple posetd
squigglyx

Postby Laineethepainter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:37 pm

I got the error message, but managed to ignore it! Aren't I clever? actually, no, I read this first!! :oops:
Take Care and Keep Smiling xxx
Laineethepainter

Postby Throat » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 am

Laineethepainter wrote:I got the error message, but managed to ignore it! Aren't I clever? actually, no, I read this first!! :oops:
Teacher's pet.
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard.
Throat

Postby rentawitch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:48 am

me too, me too, waves hand.
I love my computer, all my friends live in it.
rentawitch

Postby swreader » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:57 am

Has anyone actually not gotten the error message when you've posted? It sounds as if all the rest of you have figured the way around it--which takes you back to the forum index. I've also discovered that simply clicking on the back arrows at the top of the page gets me to the thread and my post. Tony (and Jason) says the problem is "intermittent," but I have yet to have a post on any thread be submitted, and then show up properly on it's thread.

Edited to correct where you end up by clicking on Forum Index, and adding the other way of getting back to your post.

2nd edit :D Wouldn't you know after complaining about this, I got straight through for the very first time (who knows what it'll do now).
swreader

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:31 am

swreader wrote:Has anyone actually not gotten the error message when you've posted? It sounds as if all the rest of you have figured the way around it--which takes you back to the forum index. I've also discovered that simply clicking on the back arrows at the top of the page gets me to the thread and my post. Tony (and Jason) says the problem is "intermittent," but I have yet to have a post on any thread be submitted, and then show up properly on it's thread.

Edited to correct where you end up by clicking on Forum Index, and adding the other way of getting back to your post.

2nd edit :D Wouldn't you know after complaining about this, I got straight through for the very first time (who knows what it'll do now).
You need to post more often Sharlene, that way you'll have more posts that go through without a problem.

Of course the downside to this is that you'll also have more that don't! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:55 pm

swreader wrote:I've also discovered that simply clicking on the back arrows at the top of the page gets me to the thread and my post.

I'm guessing you don't use Internet Explorer then? I clicked back to the forum then clicked reply and reposted the first time, only to discover later that I had unwittingly double posted. Whoopsie!
I spotted and fixed it though 8)
Jinx

Next

Return to The Broken Drum