Discworld marathon blog...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld marathon blog...

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 am

Okay, so I recently capped off a book-reading blog on another BBS at 100 books with The Stand by Stephen King. But while I am sick and tired of searching for new books to read, I have decided on a new thing to do: a Discworld marathon.

The rules are as follows:

*I must read and finish, in publication order, one Discworld novel every week at a bare minimum.

*After every one, I will have to post a review.

*Alternative versions using the same text are permitted (ie, the illustrated version of The Wee Free Men), but graphic novel versions or plays or screenplays are not.

*It must be in publication order/story order. Young adult Discworld books must be read at the time they were published.

Whaddya reckon? Should I bother?
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby DaveC » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Awesome idea! I am still on my first go round and it has taken me about 2 year and a half, (not taking into account that I spread CoM and LF over a year), I have just finished UA and it has been roughly 2 weeks per book.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3777
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Reading through a series in chronological order is always a good idea. I've done it myself with DW books as well as Bernard Cornwell ones.

It's an excellent way to see, not only character development, but the development of the writer as well.

Just make sure you end up enjoying the experience and not feeling it to be a 'task'. There were times on my marathon read throughs that I wished I'd never started. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28673
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby deldaisy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:48 pm

You DO like to put pressure on yourself huh Q? When you SHOULD be destressing.....

Mate... just read them because they are a good read.... enjoy.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Reading through a series in chronological order is always a good idea. I've done it myself with DW books as well as Bernard Cornwell ones.

It's an excellent way to see, not only character development, but the development of the writer as well.

Just make sure you end up enjoying the experience and not feeling it to be a 'task'. There were times on my marathon read throughs that I wished I'd never started. :roll:


Hopefully, I will.

deldaisy wrote:You DO like to put pressure on yourself huh Q? When you SHOULD be destressing.....

Mate... just read them because they are a good read.... enjoy.


I need something to have some sort of intellectual challenge. I can enjoy it as well. :)
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:00 pm

I think it's a very good idea because;

a) It'll keep you out of mischief. :lol:
b) We can all disagree and argue with you about your ratings, and say you're talking pants! :twisted:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Dotsie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Quatermass wrote:I need something to have some sort of intellectual challenge. I can enjoy it as well. :)


Didn't you say you were thinking about doing a PhD? I hear they're easy :P

You might find you don't have as much time for reading and writing though. Unless you're doing a PhD in literature.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Very OCD but rewarding too - go for it :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10472
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:39 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I think it's a very good idea because;

a) It'll keep you out of mischief. :lol:
b) We can all disagree and argue with you about your ratings, and say you're talking pants! :twisted:


Better to talk pants than talk s**t. :P

My general rating means that 7.5/10 is an average book. Not an average Discworld book, just an average book. Not bad, but not excelling. I gave Unseen Academicals 8.5, and I Shall Wear Midnight 10.

Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:I need something to have some sort of intellectual challenge. I can enjoy it as well. :)


Didn't you say you were thinking about doing a PhD? I hear they're easy :P

You might find you don't have as much time for reading and writing though. Unless you're doing a PhD in literature.


I'm applying for a PhD scholarship soon, and if I have to give this up in favour of a PhD or work, then I'll do so. But there's not much work around ATM that I can commit to, and I haven't got a PhD subject in mind, not quite, anyway.

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Very OCD but rewarding too - go for it :lol:


Will do. I read the first little bit of The Colour of Magic during Earth Hour. With a torch.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:47 am

Quatermass wrote:My general rating means that 7.5/10 is an average book. Not an average Discworld book, just an average book. Not bad, but not excelling. I gave Unseen Academicals 8.5


Boo!
LilMaibe
 

Postby Quatermass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:06 am

LilMaibe wrote:
Quatermass wrote:My general rating means that 7.5/10 is an average book. Not an average Discworld book, just an average book. Not bad, but not excelling. I gave Unseen Academicals 8.5


Boo!


8.5/10 means 'very good'. 9 means excellent, and 10 means perfect.

Anyway, why do I have to justify my opinion to you? :P
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:13 am

Quatermass wrote:Anyway, why do I have to justify my opinion to you? :P

Um...You don't. However, as you have decided to give us your opinion without being asked, we therefore have every right to criticise your opinion by stating our opinion. :roll:

All Lilmaibe was doing was stating her opinion. :D

My opinion.
Pyramids 10
Monstrous Regiment 6
Night Watch 8
Thud! 8
Making Money 6 :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Quatermass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:36 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Anyway, why do I have to justify my opinion to you? :P

Um...You don't. However, as you have decided to give us your opinion without being asked, we therefore have every right to criticise your opinion by stating our opinion. :roll:

All Lilmaibe was doing was stating her opinion. :D


Excuse me, but she shot down my opinion of Unseen Academicals without giving me any justification. I don't call 'boo!' a compelling argument against my opinion, to mangle the words of Dorfl.

Okay, technically, part of the point of doing reviews IS to justify my opinions, but they're not justifying the opinions to anyone except maybe myself. Or if they are justifications to others, it is a general justification. Ah, bugger, I'm contradicting myself. :|

Okay, I should have said that I do not have to justify myself to LilMaibe because her response was ad hoc, without any justification for her argument. And your arguments aren't much better. You want to comment on my reviews? Fine, but make it a little more substantial than booing my opinions.

The main point of the marathon is that it has been a while since I have read many Discworld books, and it'll certainly be the first time that I have actually read them in order. With the exception of Small Gods, they are written in chronological order, more or less...

poohcarrot wrote:My opinion.
Pyramids 10
Monstrous Regiment 6
Night Watch 8
Thud! 8
Making Money 6 :P


I think you may have got everything right, except you got Pyramids and Making Money the wrong way around, more or less.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:42 am

Quatermass wrote:Excuse me, but she shot down my opinion of Unseen Academicals without giving me any justification.

poohcarrot wrote:My opinion.
Pyramids 10
Monstrous Regiment 6
Night Watch 8
Thud! 8
Making Money 6 :P


I think you may have got everything right, except you got Pyramids and Making Money the wrong way around, more or less.

Excuse me, but you just shot down my opinion of Pyramids without giving me any justification! :lol: :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Quatermass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:47 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Excuse me, but she shot down my opinion of Unseen Academicals without giving me any justification.

poohcarrot wrote:My opinion.
Pyramids 10
Monstrous Regiment 6
Night Watch 8
Thud! 8
Making Money 6 :P


I think you may have got everything right, except you got Pyramids and Making Money the wrong way around, more or less.

Excuse me, but you just shot down my opinion of Pyramids without giving me any justification! :lol: :lol:


It's only the seventh book. I'll get to it soon enough. Besides, you didn't give any justification for the opinion I shot down, whereas I will be for the others.

In fact, I will go and copy my reviews that I did elsewhere of Unseen Academicals and I Shall Wear Midnight. Those two will be omitted from this marathon for that reason. I will post them here, both to show what my reviews will be like, and to show my reasoning behind my giving them those scores.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Next

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests