A song of ice and fire

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

A song of ice and fire

Postby WannabeAngua » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 am

Has anyone read this book series by George R R Martin?
I read someplace that he was the "new Tolkien" so I got curious and started reading his books.
The books are great, I'm on book 3 now, but I don't think it's really right comparing him to Tolkien. It's a different type of story in my view. The George Martin books are, at least up until now, much more focused on politics and there's lots more intrigues (and sex) in them.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 am

The only thing I've read by him was a short story called Sandkings. It's much more scary SciFi than Fantasy, but well worth checking out. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm

I can't remember which forum I saw this on now but they've made a TV series for Game of Thrones that's showing on Sky next month - with SEAN BEAN! 8) :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby WannabeAngua » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Oh, Boromir :D
Yeah, well we know he makes a good knight so why not?

Have you read Martin, Jan? It would be interesting to hear what you make of the series, you being the Oracle of Tolkien :)
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Willem » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Game of Thrones is brilliant, I hope the show does it justice. And since they plan to make each book into a season, I hope Mr Martin gets over his writer's block since they've only just announced the release date for book 5 :)
Willem

Postby chris.ph » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 pm

ive got them , my god they take some reading and they are bloody thick books as well , i think this is wot kindle s are designed for :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:Oh, Boromir :D
Yeah, well we know he makes a good knight so why not?

Have you read Martin, Jan? It would be interesting to hear what you make of the series, you being the Oracle of Tolkien :)

I've not 'persevered' shall we say :lol: I have read a paragraph of two of the first book (on Amazon) at the insistence of 2 good Tolkien forum friends who adore RPing his work, but he didn't 'catch' me and the synopses of the books didn't appeal either.

TBH I don't like being told someone's 'better' than Tolkien or 'wiser' than Pratchett because I don't want to read another LotR-a-like or a wannabe Witch learnign her trade *yawns* I want to read a new tale and something different so perhaps I'm v. unfair but I just didn't get hooked by him - yet. I'll watch the 1st episode of this for sure - I'll watch SB in anything after all! :lol: And maybe I'll get into this finally. :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:TBH I don't like being told someone's 'better' than Tolkien or 'wiser' than Pratchett because I don't want to read another LotR-a-like or a wannabe Witch learnign her trade *yawns* I want to read a new tale and something different so perhaps I'm v. unfair but I just didn't get hooked by him - yet. I'll watch the 1st episode of this for sure - I'll watch SB in anything after all! :lol: And maybe I'll get into this finally. :D

I'm with Jan on this one. To be honest I've probably discarded, out of hand, many opportunities to read what are possibly excellent books because the blurb on the back contained a phrase similar to, "Comparable to Tolkien at his best". :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Willem » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:56 am

I wouldn't compare these books to Tolkien's work. Tolkien is epic fantasy with a very black and white idea of good and evil. Martin writes about political intrigues and warmongering, there are many shades of grey. All this just happens to take place in a fantasy setting.

Then again, Tolkien's name sells books so that's why publisher love putting it on covers and in blurbs :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby WannabeAngua » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:45 am

Then again, Tolkien's name sells books so that's why publisher love putting it on covers and in blurbs

Yup, that's exactly what's been going on here, saying he's the next Tolkien is just to sell books. (If I'd been Martin I would personally feel a bit pissed off by that - it makes it sound as if his books can't sell by their own accord - which they absolutely can.)

Really Jan, it's quite safe, it's not like reading Tolkien at all. I love Tolkien as well and I don't feel like I'm cheating on him, not even a little bit.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:47 am

They used to say that Terry Pratchett was the new Douglas Addams. Now they say that new comedic writers are the new Terry Pratchett. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Wrecks » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I can't remember which forum I saw this on now but they've made a TV series for Game of Thrones that's showing on Sky next month - with SEAN BEAN! 8) :lol:

Yeah, I've heard quite a bit about this! I really should find and read these books for myself! Although with the show, I honestly think Triple H from the WWE would fit in nicely on it!
Wrecks

Postby WannabeAngua » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I can't remember which forum I saw this on now but they've made a TV series for Game of Thrones that's showing on Sky next month - with SEAN BEAN! 8) :lol:

I don't have Sky! :x

Willem wrote:Game of Thrones is brilliant, I hope the show does it justice. And since they plan to make each book into a season, I hope Mr Martin gets over his writer's block since they've only just announced the release date for book 5

Just finished the fourth book yesterday. Noticed that he wrote in it that he hoped number five would be out the following year (in that case it should have come out in 2006). It's taken him 5 extra years to complete book 5 :shock: How many books does he plan to write in this series? I hope he's doesn't spend 5 years writing the next book as well :?
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Willem » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 pm

I should be seven books in total if I remember correctly.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:34 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:

I don't have Sky! :x

Willem wrote:Game of Thrones is brilliant, I hope the show does it justice. And since they plan to make each book into a season, I hope Mr Martin gets over his writer's block since they've only just announced the release date for book 5

Just finished the fourth book yesterday. Noticed that he wrote in it that he hoped number five would be out the following year (in that case it should have come out in 2006). It's taken him 5 extra years to complete book 5 :shock: How many books does he plan to write in this series? I hope he's doesn't spend 5 years writing the next book as well :?
He has been writing other books in between and co-edited Songs of the Dying Earth.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books