MANGA

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 am

Sorry Mystmoon. This will be my last comment on Japanese women. :oops:

BJ, I find your comments totally sexist. You are demeaning and degrading Japanese women. By extension you are demeaning and degrading my wife who is Japanese. I can assure you that my wife is not a "kawaii-naff, Kitty chan-loving bimbo." :twisted:

I'm not saying that women like you mention don't exist, and that certain men don't encourage this kind of behaviour, but to state that ALL Japanese women are like this is stereo-typing in the extreme. :shock:

If your friend believes that 60,000,000 Japanese women all talk in a subdued high-pitched voice and not one of them has an opinion, she is quite clearly stark raving bonkers! And you are too, for believing such sexist claptrap. :shock:

I thought lesbians were supposed to hate men? You are the first misogynous lesbian I've ever encountered. :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby BaldJean » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 pm

I think there is a misunderstanding about the word "forced". Let me make an anology. You could say that in Western culture women are forced to wear their hair long. Of course no-one really forces them; they can wear their hair however they want. But if a woman decides to wear her hair short she is generally considered to be less attractive. Of course there are excepttions to that rule; there certainly are men who like women with short hair, there are even weirdos who like their women to be bald, but as a rule of thumbs it is true. If a woman wants to "advertise on the sexual market", if I may use that expression, it is best for her to wear her hair long. Women with short hair are even easily suspected to be lesbians in Western culture. This and nothing else is what I mean when I say "forced". Why do you think the childlike appearance of women in mangas is so successful? Because that childlike appearance is what is attractive to Japanese men.
In the same way no Japanese woman would dream of getting breast implants; they would be counterproductive in the Japanese culture. This and only this is what I mean when I use the wiord "forced". Japanese women can of course choose to act differently, but they would be considered to be less attractive by Japanese men then.
I hope this makes it more clear.
BaldJean

Postby Wrecks » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:18 pm

I very rarely read any Manga. But the last one I do recall reading was called King of Hell I think.
Wrecks

Postby shegallivants » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 am

mystmoon wrote:Can we discuss manga rather than argue over whether Japanese women are depressed? I don't know where else I should ask about the new Beyblade manga I found (it is much better than the anime though! More violent too :twisted: )

Reading the word Beyblade made me choke over breakfast! Beyblade!I'd completely forgotten about that. When I was a kid, we used to have these plastic arenas where we would battle our beyblades. And we would modify Beyblades like we would erasers with staple bullets to make them into tops.

Sorry for babbling. I've just been hit by this sudden wave of nostalgia. :D :D
Balter n. To dance gracelessly, without particular art or skill *but perhaps with some enjoyment.
shegallivants

Postby shegallivants » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 am

If we're going to take anecdotal evidence as fact, I have a Japanese friend who controls the finances in her household, and she certainly does not squeak "give me the cash, mister handsomeee!"

I don't really think I'm qualified to argue whether any Japanese women fetishize themselves or if there's pressure to do so. However, to summarily dismiss all of them as doing that seems extremely rude and narrow-minded.

I know I've suffered the stereotype of the submissive asian girl, and it's not fun to have people prejudge you like that. Also, I love it when people say "Yooou speeeaak goooood englisssh. Is Singapore in China?" My favourite moments! :evil:
Balter n. To dance gracelessly, without particular art or skill *but perhaps with some enjoyment.
shegallivants

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:48 am

shegallivants wrote:I know I've suffered the stereotype of the submissive asian girl, and it's not fun to have people prejudge you like that. Also, I love it when people say "Yooou speeeaak goooood englisssh. Is Singapore in China?" My favourite moments! :evil:

Had something similar once...just replace the last bit with -Isn't Germany in Europe-
/sidenote
LilMaibe

Postby shegallivants » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:17 am

LilMaibe wrote:Had something similar once...just replace the last bit with -Isn't Germany in Europe-
/sidenote

Oh dear :shock:
shegallivants

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 am

shegallivants wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Had something similar once...just replace the last bit with -Isn't Germany in Europe-
/sidenote

Oh dear :shock:

Gotta love the internet
LilMaibe

Postby shegallivants » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:34 am

IS IT TRULY? IS IT? I MUST KNOW. Do not think to spare me...
Last edited by shegallivants on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
shegallivants

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:13 am

shegallivants wrote:IS IT TRULY? IS IT? I MUST KNOW. Do not think to spare me...

Happened once upon posting a comment on youtube.
LilMaibe

Postby shegallivants » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:34 am

LilMaibe wrote: Had something similar once...just replace the last bit with -Isn't Germany in Europe-
/sidenote

shegallivants wrote: IS IT TRULY? IS IT? I MUST KNOW. Do not think to spare me...

'Twas a joke :D
shegallivants

Postby mystmoon » Wed May 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Err, gonna give this thread a bump again...

so I've gotten into Genkaku Picasso recently, which is about a boy who after a near death experience, gains the ability to draw troubled hearts...he has to use this gift to help others or the death that he was spared will happen

It's pretty cool.
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby dennykay » Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 pm

draw like drawing towards him or like painting?

also: "germany? are you still east and west?" on of my favourites. LilMaibe surely knows that one. :D
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

Postby mystmoon » Wed May 04, 2011 3:03 pm

draw like sketching it in his sketchpad when he comes into contact with them, sorry it's kind of hard to explain...
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby dennykay » Wed May 04, 2011 3:37 pm

hmm, def gonna look into that one!
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books