Your ideal Discworld game?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Your ideal Discworld game?

Postby Werewolf87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:52 pm

All former Disc games were part of the adventure genre, which I do not like very much. Roleplay Games on the other hand... I've been thinking about how awesome a Discworld roleplay game for the computer (or PS3 or Xbox, whatever floats your boat) could be.

By this I mean something similiar to the The Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion). You'd get a whole Discworld area, let's say Ankh-Morpork and some outskirts area for starters, and do whatever you like in it.
In the beginning you'd have to create your character, decide on which race you want to play as and choose your talents.
Afterwards you're free to roam the city and do random quests or become a member of a faction (assassins, wizards, watch and so on, there are enough possibilities) and work yourself up to a leading position there. Maybe even with a main quest, where you work as an agent for Vetinari. ;)
Of course all of that with decent graphics and the possibility to run into various Discworld characters while playing through.

So what do you think? What would your ideal Discworld game look like?
Werewolf87

Postby TwoShotTino » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Personally I love the original games but then I'm a fan of point and click adventures. I would like to see some kind of Sim/strategy game based on the Discworld, something in the style of Civilization would be awesome. Mybe not so much as a leader of a country but certainly the leader of a guild in which you have to gain the most influence with Vetenari or something?
TwoShotTino

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm not a huge fan of computer games, but I did quite like the adventure style of the early games. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby captainmeme » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I loved Discworld 2... Before it got destroyed in the flooding. I wish I had it again.
Albatross!
captainmeme

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 pm

I'd like a Super Mario type platform game. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Werewolf87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I'd like a Super Mario type platform game. :D

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Suppose one could become a millionaire by offering something like this for iphone.
Guiding the death of rats through some obstacle filled room to a hamster he has to collect would rock. Or having Granny on her broom avoiding treetops and other more creepy things in the night air. Sidescrolling games = <3
Werewolf87

Postby TwoShotTino » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:05 pm

captainmeme wrote:I loved Discworld 2... Before it got destroyed in the flooding. I wish I had it again.

Check out the Discworld Noir thread. I've put a link on there where you can buy all 3 of the games and they work perfectly on the latest versions of windows.
I'm currently playing the 2nd one myself :D
TwoShotTino

Postby captainmeme » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:10 pm

TwoShotTino wrote:
captainmeme wrote:I loved Discworld 2... Before it got destroyed in the flooding. I wish I had it again.

Check out the Discworld Noir thread. I've put a link on there where you can buy all 3 of the games and they work perfectly on the latest versions of windows.
I'm currently playing the 2nd one myself :D

Thanks! Hadn't noticed that. Now I just need to persuade my Mum to buy it for me...
Albatross!
captainmeme

Re: Your ideal Discworld game?

Postby Bickaxe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Werewolf87 wrote:By this I mean something similiar to the The Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion). You'd get a whole Discworld area, let's say Ankh-Morpork and some outskirts area for starters, and do whatever you like in it.
In the beginning you'd have to create your character, decide on which race you want to play as and choose your talents.
Afterwards you're free to roam the city and do random quests or become a member of a faction (assassins, wizards, watch and so on, there are enough possibilities) and work yourself up to a leading position there. Maybe even with a main quest, where you work as an agent for Vetinari. ;)
Of course all of that with decent graphics and the possibility to run into various Discworld characters while playing through.

I've often imagined the same thing being a fan of the Elder Scrolls series. On PC you get the toolbox so there is nothing to stop you from making a mod.
I'd do it myself but the amount of work involved would keep you busy for about 3 years and I don't have that much free time despite still looking for work.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Werewolf87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I have no idea how the TES Construction-set works. Let alone all the copyright issues that might pipe up if I really did that. :shock:
Werewolf87

Postby Bickaxe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Copyright is not a problem as long as you don't make money from it.

The TES has a very good help index, although I haven't worked out how to make residences/dungeons properly yet.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Werewolf87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I suppose building Ankh-Morpork would take a single person pretty long, considering that I would not want to recycle the buildings from Oblivion (or Skyrim for that matter). I can model and texture, hopefully will learn how to animate soon, but alone? That's the kind of mod that would need a big team and a lot of time.
Gotta admit though, the idea is nice.
Werewolf87

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:32 am

It's a pity RPMaker 2000 etc isn't freeware anymore :( And there are no good skins and meshes for Sims 2 or 3
LilMaibe

Postby Cezzatr0n » Sat May 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Werewolf87 wrote:I suppose building Ankh-Morpork would take a single person pretty long.

Im a video game enviroment artist and would love to contribute my skills towards such a mod group if one was to form :)
Cezzatr0n

Postby author3 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Now I really want a Discworld game for Xbox
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Next

Return to Games