The Wonderful Wizard Of OZ

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Wonderful Wizard Of OZ

Postby shelke » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Folklore, legends, myths and fairy tales have followed childhood through the ages, for every healthy youngster has a wholesome and instinctive love for stories fantastic, marvelous and manifestly unreal. The winged fairies of Grimm and Andersen have brought more happiness to childish hearts than all other human creations.

Yet the old time fairy tale, having served for generations, may now be classed as "historical" in the children's library; for the time has come for a series of newer "wonder tales" in which the stereotyped genie, dwarf and fairy are eliminated, together with all the horrible and blood-curdling incidents devised by their authors to point a fearsome moral to each tale. Modern education includes morality; therefore the modern child seeks only entertainment in its wonder tales and gladly dispenses with all disagreeable incident.

Having this thought in mind, the story of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was written solely to please children of today. It aspires to being a modernized fairy tale, in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heartaches and nightmares are left out.

L. Frank Baum

Chicago, April, 1900.
shelke

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:15 pm

Another one I've been meaning to read one of these days. I understand the book is somewhat different to the movie. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby shelke » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 pm

The book is far far better I remember reading it as a kid and I loved it highly recomend it.
shelke

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

I've read the sequel (Return to Oz? I was about 9 I think :? ) and that was wonderful :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I've read the sequel (Return to Oz? I was about 9 I think :? ) and that was wonderful :D

There was a movie by that name, but it was actually a combination of a couple of the Oz books. There isn't actually a book in the series called 'Return To Oz'. :)

Oz works
Main: List of Oz books

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900)
The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904)
Queer Visitors from the Marvelous Land of Oz (1905, comic strip depicting 27 stories)
Ozma of Oz (1907)
Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (1908)
The Road to Oz (1909)
The Emerald City of Oz (1910)
The Patchwork Girl of Oz (1913)
Little Wizard Stories of Oz (1913, collection of 6 short stories)
Tik-Tok of Oz (1914)
The Scarecrow of Oz (1915)
Rinkitink in Oz (1916)
The Lost Princess of Oz (1917)
The Tin Woodman of Oz (1918)
The Magic of Oz (1919, posthumously published)
Glinda of Oz (1920, posthumously published)
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Wow - that's quite a list! Baum must be one of Terry's heroes! :lol:

I've seen bits of Return so that's why it stuck as that's much more recent - I know it still had Dorothy and the Scarecrow, Tinman and Lion in it.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:44 pm

This was my favourite book as a child. My father taught me to read at a young age so I'd read this cover to cover numerous times by the time I was 6. Haven't read it in years.... may have to dig out my copy from my mums loft :D
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 pm

The first book I ever bought, loved it! x

We didn't buy books much in our house so it was a treasured possession. :D
spideyGirl

Postby Wrecks » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Wow - that's quite a list! Baum must be one of Terry's heroes! :lol:

I've seen bits of Return so that's why it stuck as that's much more recent - I know it still had Dorothy and the Scarecrow, Tinman and Lion in it.

Wasn't the Return film a bit more crazy though? And is the book(s) and the film really different from the other?
Wrecks

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Wrecks wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:Wow - that's quite a list! Baum must be one of Terry's heroes! :lol:

Wasn't the Return film a bit more crazy though?
Well in that they had Dorothy carted off to a psychiatric hospital to be given electric shock treatment. And the bad witch in the story used to cut off her enemies heads and wear them in place of her own head. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Wrecks wrote:

Wasn't the Return film a bit more crazy though?
Well in that they had Dorothy carted off to a psychiatric hospital to be given electric shock treatment. And the bad witch in the story used to cut off her enemies heads and wear them in place of her own head. :lol:

Used to really freak me out when I was little, that bit of the film :?
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Temple_maiden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:52 pm

I have read the original book, but I had no idea there were so many - I only read the first one. It is very different to the film - there is a lot more in it, the film is heavily abridged.
. . . and I'm all like, "I wrote a book, innit," and they're all like, "Well where can we get it," and I'm all like, "Here . . ."
Temple_maiden

Postby Wrecks » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks on that Tony! And yeah, I'm in the same boat as you are with not knowing there more books! Heck I didn't even know the film was based off a book!
Wrecks

Re: The Wonderful Wizard Of OZ

Postby Haydee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am

i love wizard of oz and epsically the the monkeys and Dorothy
I love Harry Styles and Zayn Mailk and love One Direction and Cody Simpson.
Haydee

Re: The Wonderful Wizard Of OZ

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:05 am

Those flying monkeys were the scariest thing EVER!!!! :o
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Children's Books