Armageddon v Deep Impact

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
deldaisy wrote:On The Beach is brilliant..... very played down.... real.

The scene with them going all that way to find the curtain (blind?) pull setting off the signals..... !!!! :shock:
Have you read the book, Del? It's an Aussie classic! :D

Q, have you read Day of the Triffids? It's one of my favourites and no one has really done it justice on the large or small screen. :D

:shock: :shock: Read it? I HAD it!

Yeah... how come they haven't made a remake of that.... that book, that movie... they scared the heck out of me as a kid.

Strange what you take for granted. My 23 yr old told me only a few weeks ago that she had only just read the book and booked the movie out. I naturally thought she had seen it years ago.

The group that do the Rocky HPS stage shows also show classic movies (1950 horror movies etc) every few weeks on the big screen. they are always booked out solid... and any excuse for a dress up huh? I mean how good is that... all those old movies as they were MEANT to be seen.. on the big screen! She has since DEMANDED that Christian show Day of the Triffids!

btw.... even as a KID I knew it was obvious that seawater was the killer! :roll:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:33 pm

The sea water thing in the movie of Day of the Triffids is a big cop out. That doesn't happen at all in the book. I think they added it because horror movies and SciFi in those days usually had a positive ending.

Which was one of the reasons On The Beach was so powerful - because it doesn't.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:54 pm

deldaisy wrote: :shock: :shock: Read it? I HAD it!

Yeah... how come they haven't made a remake of that.... that book, that movie... they scared the heck out of me as a kid.

The BBC did a pretty good job of the remake a couple of years back with Eddie Izzard as one of the main characters (well I enjoyed anyway). :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9xPcdI__8
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Armageddon has Bruce Willis in it. :D

It's also the only movie with Ben Afflec in it that doesn't make me fall alseep. I don't have anything against him, I just always fall asleep for some reason...
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Dogma had Ben in and that was OK. :D

Armageddon has Liv Tyler in it. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby DaveC » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:19 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Dogma had Ben in and that was OK. :D

Armageddon has Liv Tyler in it. :D

And they were both reunited in Jesrey Girl. :wink:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

ELE's and movies

Postby Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Deep Impact was pretty good - a solid look at the sociatal context of a ELE, and for hollywood, thoughtfully and well done.

Armageddon - BIG pile of poo - but fabulous CGI graphics. They are both repeated fairly often here on late night TV. Lack of real science, but hey - it was esacpist fluff al la GOR etc...

When you think they can not get any dumber - they put out The Core - Lets ignore science, and I knew right from the moment each character waliked into the screen how and aprox when they would die etc... cookie cutter sort of Harlequin Romance meets GOR, really glad I saw it on TV and never paid to watch it.
What ??
Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com

Other Books/movies

Postby Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Nevil Shute was an Aussie ?? Lord love a duck - all these years I thought he was a Brit.

On The Beach is remarkable because the book and the movie were so well done. I read the book as a teenager, 30 years ago(??) and was creeped out - didn't see the movie until 10 years ago, it was really well done. The scene where the naval explorer is walking through the base looking for the source of the signal was particulary creepy. And Fred Astaire !!

Day of the Triffids is another one I read as a teenager -after seeing some terrible american make of it on Saturday Night Horror show - the story was SO much better. (The movie ends up in a Light House where - well, maybe yoou want to try to watch it yourself some day.)

I just saw a British remake which upgraded it a bit, the characters were more or less the same, but they tried to explain the science to much - it doesn't matter if the Triffids were genetic experiments gone wrong or whatever - it was the society afterwards that was important.
What ??
Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com

Postby chris.ph » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 pm

i love day of the triffids brilliant book :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah the core was really silly :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Re: Other Books/movies

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com wrote:Nevil Shute was an Aussie ?? Lord love a duck - all these years I thought he was a Brit.

He was British, he just wrote a lot of books about Australia. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:33 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com wrote:Nevil Shute was an Aussie ?? Lord love a duck - all these years I thought he was a Brit.

Tony, do you need some help with quotes? :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby mspanners » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:29 am

Deep impact is for the thinking man,Armageddon for chilling out and watching....... an Action Hero movie..... have a few beers and put your brain into neutral!

Deep Impact is more a suspense movie with political story line wove in to it, and is my favorite too.

It's truer to what could happen if such a disaster were to happen, the physics in it are truer to real life.... unlike Armageddon.

I find both fun but in different ways.
mspanners

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:49 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Q, have you read Day of the Triffids? It's one of my favourites and no one has really done it justice on the large or small screen. :D

Nope. I think I very nearly did when I was a teen, but never got around to it. Oh, I'll tell you a great post-apocalyptic book I read. World War Z by Max Brooks. And The Stand is pretty good too, so far.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Dotsie wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:

Tony, do you need some help with quotes? :P
Apparently so. :oops: :lol:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre