The Quatermass serials...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Quatermass serials...

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 am

Okay, who here has actually watched any of the Quatermass serials from which I take my username? I've watched the two surviving episodes of the original The Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass and the Pit, and the remake of The Quatermass Experiment. I also have scriptbooks for the first three serials, and the novelisation of the third. The first serial scriptbook was hardest to find, but I found it in an Oxfam bookshop near the British Museum (during a trip to the UK in 2009) for the princely sum of 6 pounds, or $15 Australian at the time.
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Re: The Quatermass serials...

Postby DaveC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 am

Quatermass wrote:Okay, who here has actually watched any of the Quatermass serials from which I take my username? I've watched the two surviving episodes of the original The Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass and the Pit, and the remake of The Quatermass Experiment. I also have scriptbooks for the first three serials, and the novelisation of the third. The first serial scriptbook was hardest to find, but I found it in an Oxfam bookshop near the British Museum (during a trip to the UK in 2009) for the princely sum of 6 pounds, or $15 Australian at the time.

I have only seen the live one thy did a few years ago with Jason Flemying and David Tennant. Was not bad. :)
Last edited by DaveC on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby deldaisy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 am

No idea who he is or the series or nuffin.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Re: The Quatermass serials...

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 am

DaveC wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Okay, who here has actually watched any of the Quatermass serials from which I take my username? I've watched the two surviving episodes of the original The Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass and the Pit, and the remake of The Quatermass Experiment. I also have scriptbooks for the first three serials, and the novelisation of the third. The first serial scriptbook was hardest to find, but I found it in an Oxfam bookshop near the British Museum (during a trip to the UK in 2009) for the princely sum of 6 pounds, or $15 Australian at the time.

I have only seen the live one thy did a few years ago with Jason Flemyning and David Tennant. Was not bad. :)

I agree. Pity they couldn't show the monster in the new version. The monster from the original looks surprisingly effective (there's a picture in the scriptbook) considering that it was the authors gardening-gloved hands covered in latex, weeds and all sorts of crap.

deldaisy wrote:No idea who he is or the series or nuffin.

Okay, well the first three Quatermass serials preceded Doctor Who. They were the top of the range science fiction serials of their day.

Here's the relevant Wikipedia article. Those familiar with my debut might recognise the first picture of Bernard Quatermass (as played by Reginald Tate) as my first avatar.

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 am

I'm sure I did watch these when they were originally aired, but can't remember anything much about them. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'm sure I did watch these when they were originally aired, but can't remember anything much about them. :?

Did you? The first serial was back in 1953, and it was never completely recorded. And I'm not sure about your age, but I didn't think that you were quite old enough, not for the first one. Maybe Quatermass and the Pit, that was 1958, I think.

I won't speculate any more about your age. Sorry if I'm being rude. :?

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:08 pm

:lol: Maybe I didn't see it then! I must have seen reruns or something. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Only ever seen clips, but they were good
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Just done a bit of Googling and realised that I'd seen Qutermass and the Pit - the movie. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Just done a bit of Googling and realised that I'd seen Qutermass and the Pit - the movie. :D

Ahhh, apparently the best of the Hammer Horror adaptations. A pity they aren't available on DVD over here...

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Tiffany » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:28 pm

I loved the Quatermass series on our b&w TV. :lol: Deliciously scary at the time.
Quatermass & the Pit was my favourite.
Like most things from that era, they would seem very dated now though.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Did anyone see A for Andromeda, written by Fred Hoyle, back in the early 60s? That's another series that the Beeb have carelessly lost. :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Did anyone see A for Andromeda, written by Fred Hoyle, back in the early 60s? That's another series that the Beeb have carelessly lost. :roll:

Its available on dvd :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:43 pm

pip wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Did anyone see A for Andromeda, written by Fred Hoyle, back in the early 60s? That's another series that the Beeb have carelessly lost. :roll:

How strange - I was under the impression that only the first part remained. Oh well. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Tiffany wrote:I loved the Quatermass series on our b&w TV. :lol: Deliciously scary at the time.
Quatermass & the Pit was my favourite.
Like most things from that era, they would seem very dated now though.

Quatermass and the Pit has actually aged pretty damned well, better than some Doctor Who stories which came a decade after. Can't say the same thing for the first two serials, although I have to admit that the effect of the aliens in the dome and the dome exploding in Quatermass II was pretty good. And that title sequence for Quatermass II was so simple, and yet effective...

pip wrote:

Only the sixth episode of A for Andromeda exists any more, though a few film extracts here and there exist from other episodes, including the end of the final episode.

I don't have the DVD, though I can get it from the library, or a friend. But I have the novelisation of the serial, which I read a few months back. A bit old-fashioned, but Fred Hoyle had a brilliant scientific mind, if only he didn't stick to the damned Steady State Theory... Still, it's been an inspiration for my own writing.

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre