Making Money

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:29 pm

Periwinkle wrote:Moist will be hitting the TV screens sometime next year as the Mob are making "Going Postal" their next offering for Sky.
Hope he doesn't get into the electrics.
silverstreak

Postby ladyramkin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 pm

I would agree with Tony. You need to read Terry's books at least twice to really get the best out of them. I didnt enjoy Monstrous Regiment on the first reading, but on the second, I was surprised to find how good it was.
ladyramkin

Postby TheMole » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:38 am

silverstreak wrote:
Periwinkle wrote:Moist will be hitting the TV screens sometime next year as the Mob are making "Going Postal" their next offering for Sky.
Hope he doesn't get into the electrics.

I am sure Anoia would help him in that case...again.

PS: well, Making Money is quite good...alas, not so good as Going Postal, but surely worth reading. My favourite character is Mr Bent, I consider him the best character of the book :wink:
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby RACKU » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:39 am

Ohmai! The last book I read..was indeed, Going Postal :) When I first picked up the book, I thought it was gonna be just a bit ordinary..I had no idea it was so good! Actually, it's one of my favourites. Can't wait to see the movie! The previous ones were awesome..this one is going to be a blast :)

As for Making Money, my school library just got it, and after I'm done with Night Watch, that should be my next reading. Considering it's a sort of "sequel" to Going Postal.
RACKU

Postby silverstreak » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:04 pm

RACKU wrote:Ohmai! The last book I read..was indeed, Going Postal :) When I first picked up the book, I thought it was gonna be just a bit ordinary..I had no idea it was so good! Actually, it's one of my favourites. Can't wait to see the movie! The previous ones were awesome..this one is going to be a blast :)

As for Making Money, my school library just got it, and after I'm done with Night Watch, that should be my next reading. Considering it's a sort of "sequel" to Going Postal.

Your school library has very good taste!
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:13 pm

Well I've read Making Money twice now and was disappointed. :( Going Postal was excellent, but Making Money (as far as I'm concerned) isn't as good. I'm desperately trying to think why - I'm doing a discussion of this book on the Discworld Stamps Forum at the beginning of next month and I need to try and work out why I think this one doesn't work so well.

I'm afraid that despite my earlier post saying that Terry's books often get much better on a second read - this one is an exception.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:32 pm

i enjoyed it :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 pm

well after the first one came out, i thought i hope there no more of this series, didnt enjoy it very much at all, but the second one well thats a different matter. i really enjoyed it, probably to me it seemed like he was writing in more of his old style, which to be honest i prefer, so, if another does come out. well i'll pass that judgement at the right time.
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 pm

And that's how it should be. It wouldn't do at all if we all agreed - I actually prefer Terry's later writing style and that's one of the problems for me with Making Money.

Having said that - even the worst of Terry's books if tons better than a whole lot of other writers. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 pm

I dont think theres one book of his you could put in that catagory, even his off ones, if there are such a thing are good, even where my cow is an enjoyable book to read, my little un loves it too and shes 4 :D
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Hear hear!
Tonyblack

Postby douglind » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:43 pm

I just finished reading Making Money - it is my first Terry Pratchett book and will certainly not be my last :-)

The book was hilarious - I couldn't put it down. If, as some people suggest, Going Postal is even better then I am really looking forward to reading that one :-)
douglind

Postby chris.ph » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:02 pm

welcome to the site doug
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:24 pm

douglind wrote:I just finished reading Making Money - it is my first Terry Pratchett book and will certainly not be my last :-)

The book was hilarious - I couldn't put it down. If, as some people suggest, Going Postal is even better then I am really looking forward to reading that one :-)
You've got some real treats in store! :wink:

Welcome!
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:54 pm

hey there Doug :D

Not many writers can manage funny AND intelligent AND wise - Terry's a genius :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels