Birthday Thread - no digressions

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Birthday Thread - no digressions

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:13 am

This is just a suggestion at the moment to see how you all feel about this.

My thought is that we have a birthday greeting thread. You register and then every year, on your birthday, a thread is started by someone to wish you a happy birthday.

I'm prepared to organize this (may the Lord have mercy on my soul) but I'd suggest some ground rules. I've seen things like this on other boards and there are birthday threads posted to people who aren't even members of the board, or people who joined, registered and then never posted again.

So I'd say:
1. Board members only.
2. If you haven't made a post in a year from your last birthday then we consider that you are no longer posting here and therefore no longer a member.

What I'd suggest is that we have a thread where you can register your birthday. I'll then add you to my email reminders and post a thread on the day of your birthday.

What do you think? Any further suggestions?

PLEASE DON'T REGISTER YET!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:20 am

Good idea. :)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby LadyL » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:50 am

Sorry if I was the reason for this :wink:

but I like the idea too :P
LadyL

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:12 am

LadyL wrote:Sorry if I was the reason for this :wink:

but I like the idea too :P
No reason to be sorry. :) It just struck me that some people were getting birthday wishes and others weren't. I hate people to think that some members were more important than others or that there was some sort of clique here. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:16 am

I'd be up for this. The more fuss the better IMO :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Batty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:27 pm

It's a lovely idea. Can we also have an emoticon in the form of a birthday cake? ... I like cake!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:23 pm

It is nice to be greeted on one of your favourite haunts :D

On other forums - and I'm sure it can be done on php ones as well as asp - they have a calendar option which does automatically pick up DOB entries on registration (can't remember whether this was a required or optional field on here). Anyway - look here and you'll see a button for Calendar which doesn't have any birthday's up today but does show all of them for March (with a litte cake too :lol:) When there is a birthday it's shown at the base of the previous page and if they're a regular then their mates can start a thread for them.

Admin (i.e. me effectively at present) pick these up on site and if they're still active I'll set a thread up for them - little less hassle all round. I'm sure it's a standard setting option for most forum software so perhaps your techie lads can enable it and save your fingers Tony? :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Annebn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:40 pm

I like birthday greetings- both sending and getting them. So I think it's a great idea.
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
-- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Annebn

Postby chris.ph » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:02 pm

good idea im 40 this year :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm all for it, I am Birthday mod on a forum.
I start threads for people's birthdays, I do have help, coz on the profiles there is a place for people to say their DOB, then it comes up at the bottom of the forum, so I can see who has a B/D that day. If people don't want others to know when their B/D is they don't fill it in, but most do, I think.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:It is nice to be greeted on one of your favourite haunts :D

On other forums - and I'm sure it can be done on php ones as well as asp - they have a calendar option which does automatically pick up DOB entries on registration (can't remember whether this was a required or optional field on here). Anyway - look here and you'll see a button for Calendar which doesn't have any birthday's up today but does show all of them for March (with a litte cake too :lol:) When there is a birthday it's shown at the base of the previous page and if they're a regular then their mates can start a thread for them.

Admin (i.e. me effectively at present) pick these up on site and if they're still active I'll set a thread up for them - little less hassle all round. I'm sure it's a standard setting option for most forum software so perhaps your techie lads can enable it and save your fingers Tony? :wink:

We don't have that facility here (we do on Hookton) and I'm not sure it's available anyhow. This is the same type of board as the Cunning Artificer and they don't have it there either, so I'm guessing it's not available. :)

But I'm happy enough to take on the posting of the threads to anyone who wants to join in.

What I suggest is that anyone who wants to join in should post here with the date and I'll compile a locked thread which I'll update as and when we get new birthday requests. I'll then get Hotmail to send me reminders the day before the birthdays so I'll have time to post them.

Please let me know if I screw up. It may well happen. :lol:

So here goes:

Tonyblack - 15th November
swreader - 26th November
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:56 pm

December 17

I always got a joint xmas/birthday prezzy. What a bummer!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:58 pm

June 22nd - and it was still the Summer Solstice but only just (11 am) :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Snap! I'm 15th November too!! ... At 5.05 pm.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:40 pm

That all those done so far. :)
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum