The Great International Pancake Race

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Poohcarrots » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Xtreme Knitting! :twisted:

Jump out of a plane with a ball of silk and a couple of knitting needles, and you have to knit yourself a parachute before you splat into the ground, while eating a semla. :lol:
"Hear a speech declaring a holy war and, I assure you, your ears should catch the clink of evil's scales and the dragging of its monstrous tail over the purity of the language. - Pyramids- 1989 British Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
Poohcarrots

Postby snowballs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good idea.

Dot, I do need some safer hobbies but would probably find some way of making them more extreme. Even gotten into some situations with photography, like falling through the ice on a river trying to crawl closer to an amazing ice formation :roll: :roll: :roll:
My mum says that one day I will give her a nervous breakdown.
ADHD isnt a problem it's like having another gear when you need to go faster
snowballs

Postby Broccolee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Nooooooooo!!!!I can´t believe I missed pancake day!!!I knew there was one but I couldn´t find out when it was!!I had intended to make all sorts of different pancakes for lunch,breakfast and dinner and let the kids choose!!!
And now it´s gone and I missed it!!

Couldn´t someone give me a hint on these wierd days beforehand???
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby deldaisy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Soooooooooooooooooo... its running with a fry pan? A COLD frypan? They don't have to flip it or even HAVE the pancake at the end?

And btw.... the UK course looks like its more downhill than the USA one. Do the runners have to be locals? Whats the prize? Whats to stop the town from bringing in a ringer?

The Kiss of peace??????? Is that a pancake kiss with or without a bit of tongue on the side.

Who gets and gives the kiss? How can they run them at the same time? Isn't it day on one side and night on the other?

What sort of pancakes? Don't Americans call them flapjacks? Are the pancakes and pans a regulation size?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Nurse! Nurse!

Del's off her meds again! :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby chris.ph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 pm

i had a competition last year with my mrs, she bought a ready made pancake mix, just add water blah blah blah and i made it from scratch. the comp was to serve a pancake the quickest and i tanked her it was much quicker to make proper batter than to get all the bloody lumps out of the alledgedly ready made crap
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby deldaisy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Nurse! Nurse!

Del's off her meds again! :D

:D :D My daughter told me today she has booked me a nice cruise.... its a special cruise..... all the rooms are nice and clean... and white.... so soft... the walls are so soft.... nothing sharp.... and lots and lots of candy allllll day.... :D

Missed you Bouncy
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Re: The Great International Pancake Race

Postby michelanCello » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Today is Pancake Day! It's also the day that two towns, one in England and one in the USA, compete in the International Pancake Day Race.

Khmm... I do beg your pardon, but today is International Woman's Day The link doesn't work for some reason, but you can google it if you want... :wink: Has a huge tradition here... flowers are distributed to women on the street and everything...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby chris.ph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:15 pm

if its international womans day how come its only in hungary :wink: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:17 pm

michelanCello wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Today is Pancake Day! It's also the day that two towns, one in England and one in the USA, compete in the International Pancake Day Race.

Khmm... I do beg your pardon, but today is International Woman's Day The link doesn't work for some reason, but you can google it if you want... :wink: Has a huge tradition here... flowers are distributed to women on the street and everything...
I'll bet you'd rather have a pancake than a flower. :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 pm

deldaisy wrote:Soooooooooooooooooo... its running with a fry pan? A COLD frypan? They don't have to flip it or even HAVE the pancake at the end?

And btw.... the UK course looks like its more downhill than the USA one. Do the runners have to be locals? Whats the prize? Whats to stop the town from bringing in a ringer?

The Kiss of peace??????? Is that a pancake kiss with or without a bit of tongue on the side.

Who gets and gives the kiss? How can they run them at the same time? Isn't it day on one side and night on the other?

What sort of pancakes? Don't Americans call them flapjacks? Are the pancakes and pans a regulation size?

And this is what happens when you let the Aussies near a sporting event - they take it way to seriously :lol:
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 pm

michelanCello wrote:

It is all over the world but largely ignored in the UK. However they did give roses to all the women arriving at work today. I do have to ask though, if they gave something to only the men arriving at work how long it would take for some woman to complain and have all the management dragged in front of some sex discrimination kangarooo court :roll: :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Poohcarrots » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:16 pm

So Mad, did you they see through your disguise in your attempt ot get a free flower? :lol:

"Hear a speech declaring a holy war and, I assure you, your ears should catch the clink of evil's scales and the dragging of its monstrous tail over the purity of the language. - Pyramids- 1989 British Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
Poohcarrots

Postby Joolz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Pancakes- Chicken with chili ginger and spring onions, followed by lemon juice and sugar And then chocolate spread and whipped cream :D :D :D :D :D :D
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby swreader » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:45 am

Well, this year's Pancake Day race is over, and once again, Liberal (oxymoron), Kansas wins.

Del, they used to have to flip pancakes at the start and finish and once during the race (back in the 50s when I was in Liberal and saw it). But, Nicole Schowengerdt won this year's race in a time of 63 seconds (well ahead of the Olney time of 72 seconds). If you look closely at the photo, you'll see that she has her thumb firmly on her pancake.

What made this one a dramatic and difficult win was the weather--which is not typical for race day. There was light to moderate snow during the race, and they'd had sleet, so the city street department crews had to use blow torches to clear the streets of ice.

I tried to check up on the total wins, but couldn't find a listing more recent than 2000 when Liberal was well ahead.
swreader

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum