Unseen Academicals ***SPOILERS***

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:33 am

high eight wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I presume that Pepe has a beard as the only dwarf we know of without a beard is Casanunder.

Have I missed something? I thought Pepe was human.
I think you're right. After thinking about it some more, I think that Pepe is a short human or a human with dwarfism.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 pm

On a sidenote on the orc thingy:

Aside from orcs not having an actual background before in DW, Nutt is utterly unimpressive as by now (some of) the readers likely grew too familiar with the Warcraft orcs. Therefore the whole -omfg he's an orc- just gets a bored -so what- out of many as the 'they're not all evil and dumb, can actually be good
, big hearted and kind and intelligent' theme is already there pretty clearly in the heads of people, as The Warcraft orcs more or less taken the place of the warhammer or even LotR orcs in people's heads.
LilMaibe

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm

All depends on the readers background LilMaibe - a lot of us would go wtf is Warcraft?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

wtf is warcraft? :? wtf is warhammer? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

I think Terry was sort of posing the question: why are the LOTR orcs so evil? Terry has said in the past that DW is, in some ways, a bit like Middle Earth hundreds of years after the fighting has finished and everyone is trying to get on with life.

Nutt's secret, and therefore the secret of the Orcs is that they were made and used by humans as weapons. It's a bit like taking the technology used to bomb London with V2s and using them to land on the Moon. A missile isn't evil, it can be used for good. It depends on who is using it. :)
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:04 pm

wtf is LoTR :lol: :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:06 pm

wtf is wtf? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Tonyblack wrote:wtf is wtf? :lol:

World Taekwondo Federation
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby rockershovel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:41 pm

I couldn't quite work Pepe out, although I'd assumed that he was human.

Regarding Jewels "passing for a tall dwarf", Carrot is a 6ft 6inch dwarf and he is apparently accepted as such, at least by the majority ( although as per Thud!, not all )

how tall IS a dwarf, anyway? In the absence of any real information, since characters like Cheery and the other Watch dwarfs apparently use human furniture and buildings, and the dwarf tunnels, cells etc in Fifth Elephant and Thud! seem to have headroom for humans, and the Dwarf King and Troll King play at a common gaming table, I'd pictured them as being between 4ft 6 inches and 5 feet tall.

On that basis, Jewels could be say 5ft 2inches or so and be on the rights scale; or it may just be a throw-away joke that shouldn't be looked at too seriously

There's a fair amount of inconsistency, often for comic effect, but I'd always pictured Detritus as being between 7 feet and 8 feet tall ( he appears to be able to use the human-sized Pseudopolis Yard Watch House, for one thing ) although there's considerable variation among trolls, per Asphalt in Soul Music and Bluejohn the one-troll riot shield. Then again, we are told that trolls keep growing as long as they live, so there's no reason a sufficiently old troll couldn't be any size at all, although probably substantially reverted to immobility by then.

Brick the street troll appears to be able to walk in dwarf tunnels which have headroom, and given his addled state he is presumably walking more-or-less upright, which infers he is the same sort of height as Carrot
rockershovel

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Your average human isn't the same shape as a supermodel. A dwarf supermodel possibly wouldn't be the same shape as a dwarf. :D
Tonyblack

Postby rockershovel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:22 pm

actually A-M seems to have moved on a long way. For one thing, there's a "celeb" magazine ( Bu-bubble ) which obviously has a printer, distribution system and enough readers of sufficient literacy
rockershovel

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Yes, it's progressed far quicker in many ways than our planet. The early books were almost Medieval, but it's since been through the Renaissance, Regency, Victorian and the Industrial Revolution periods. :D
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Weren't some things just thrown at the reader? Like the transportation system? Or did I miss a short story.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:36 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Weren't some things just thrown at the reader? Like the transportation system? Or did I miss a short story.
There has been a rumour after Thud! that there was going to be an underground railway system in A-M. But as far as I know, that's never actually happened yet. :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels