Nation - No plot spoilers

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Nation

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Les_le_Breton wrote:Just finished Nation. I too found it a very moving book. It contains Terry Pratchetts' amazing insights into cultures ancient and modern. I personally think that it is far too important a book to be permanently labelled a "childrens' book." In many respects it is the 21st century equivalent of Gullivers Travels. Superficially it is like a fairy tale but, intrinsically within this structure is an immense critique of superstition and Nationhood itself.
I think this book should be placed on the reading list of the University of Life.
I agree! I would also put Terry alongside Swift and have often done so.

Welscome to the site Les_le_Breton! :D
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:41 pm

WElcome to the site Les_Le_Breton :D
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Kladivo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Les Gaules de Breizh! :) Salud dit!
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Nation

Postby Chus Novis » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi! I´m a new member here, and just finished Nation and had this urge to say how much I liked it. I didn´t think I would, not being a Discworld novel, but I felt it was like a "fresh air wave". I also agree that it's more than a young adult novel.
Chus
Chus Novis

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Chus Novis :D
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Dotsie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 am

Welcome from me too :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Nation

Postby Erictheviking » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 pm

As a long time discworld fan I too was reluctant to go "off plot" when I got Nation as a xmas present but was I wrong. Its a very moving book, one of sir Terry's best.
eric the viking
Erictheviking

Re: Nation

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Erictheviking wrote:As a long time discworld fan I too was reluctant to go "off plot" when I got Nation as a xmas present but was I wrong. Its a very moving book, one of sir Terry's best.
I was pleasently surprised at how good a book it was. Welcome Erictheviking! :D
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 am

Hellooo and welcome Erictheviking. :D

I have to admit that it took me a couple of attempts to get into the book but it was well worth it in the end. I enjoyed it immensely. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby rockershovel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 pm

about the only TP book I didn't finish, couldn't get into it at all. There are a couple of DW books I've never re-read, Carpe Jugulum for one, Equal Rites for another, Thief of Time I'm not a great fan of; but Nation is the only book I haven't finished.
rockershovel

Postby fanahoria » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 am

Hello!! I,ve just finished the book right now. It was a little dificult at the begining, I thought i was going to give it up sometime. but i made the effort, and it worth it. It makes me cried and no so many book does.
fanahoria

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am

I'm glad you stuck with it. I think it's well worth the effort and one of Terry's better books in recent years.
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby pip » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 am

In Terry's Biography on PJSM Colin Smythe seems to think Terrys next book after snuff will be a sequel of sorts set in the world created for nation -
He has just finished his next work: another Commander Vimes/City Watch novel, called Snuff (with a working title of ‘Vimes on Holiday’). I had originally thought it was to be the third Moist von Lipwig novel, Raising Taxes – and oh how relevant is that title in Britain now! – but Terry moved away from that, and I think his next book will be a young adult novel set in the 19th century London of the alternate world of Nation.

Could be interesting
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 18, 2011 9:51 am

Yes indeed. :D But I predict there'll be an awful lot of moaning about this. :lol:
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby pip » Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 am

Just a little :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books