Funniest lines in a Discworld book....

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Not sure about Nation - I've only read it once - but certainly Small Gods works whatever your beliefs.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:12 pm

welcome to the site jonny :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:20 pm

poohbcarrot wrote: "Imo made us clever enough to work out he doesn't exist." - Nation

Have you seen what happens if you give this the "Da Vinci Code" treatment?

IMO (God) = Text speak. "In My Opinion God"

So we have a book all about atheism written by a self-confessed atheist.

The book is littered with atheist comments (will supply you with some if requested). It also hails Darwin as the "greatest ever scientist". It not only mentions Richard Dawkins (author of the excellent "God Delusion"), but calls him "nice".

However, the icing on the cake is the fact that the stars in the cave dated back 31,000 years.

cols wrote: ...I happen to have enjoyed Nation ( and love Small Gods) and yes I'm a creationist and strangley enough it doesn't hinder my capacity to appreciate a good book :shock:

My highlights for a book I've never read, but seems to be given a hell of a lot of credence for what is in the end only a work of fiction... the power of the printed word huh? And well done Cols and Pooh for having an intelligent and tolerant exchange.

Belief is not the same as faith I think. Some things should always be challenged, whilst others can be accepted quite easily - with a certain amount of evidence to back it up. Which is where faith is far more aetheriel as it requires belief without evidence... so it's more a matter of personal conviction that often requires the suspension of proof.

The scientific community accepted Darwin's theory of evolution after vicious and controversial argument over several years and it is still being challenged today. Darwin did not get everything right - certainly not continental drift for instance - although he recognised some things like how S. America fits onto Africa quite well, but in his day geology and vulcanism were very inexact sciences. Ditto Einstein whose famous theory was stunningly insightful in its day, but is now being redefined and challenged.

So is religion, but the basis of belief within it, is not necessarily dependent upon proof, but is dependent on what you can believe in. I once believed in a 'god of mercy', but if s/he does exist that's something that's very easy to reject on the basis of 'proof'. History establishes that a person called Jesus did indeed live in what is currently Israel and was crucified. Belief is a very strange thing and some 'proofs' work for a while but in the end we cannot be really sure what to trust - certainly not when most religious belief systems tell us not to kill each other and we still have wars 2,000 years later - or 1,400 years or "whatever" later...?

I don't really think Terry's an atheist necessarily - he's certainly a humanist which some people will say is the same thing. Even that has it's philosophical side and also doesn't ask you to believe in monkey gods; that although a sacred book tells you not to kill other people it's OK when those other people don't follow its teaching; or that the possibility of weapons of mass destruction in an unfriendly state means...... blah blah to infinity

You find a way to live your life and if you don't hurt anyone doing that then that's the best you can hope for - that and the right to decide for yourself what is worth believing in - I'm quite fond of discs and magic actually... :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:17 pm

In a word Christ that's a bit deep and heavy.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:23 pm

So are you saying I'd better not read Nation then - 'cos I ain't read that either yet? :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:11 am

In a word No! and I have not read yet either but I do have a copy.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:55 pm

:lol: I actually much prefer books that don't get me thinking too much these days - Pterry's are really one of only a few exceptions because his logic is always rational and, where it's not kind all the time, it is always just. Plus they make me laugh :D

I will read Nation soonish. I will continue to pass on the Da Vinci Code however (I've managed to avoid the film even though Tom Hanks is one of my favourite actors) as religious 'disputes' (rather than send-ups like Small Gods or Life of Brian) are entirely pointless and not to be taken literally in any way as you're trying to preach to the converted on either side of the coin and, indeed, its edges that encompass the 'completely confused' and the 'what a load of b*llocks brigade'... :P

I'm just not interested in the arguments now - whether that's by learned argument in the written word of whatever weight or consideration, or by direct action (with a great deal of irony aka as 'freedom' fighting)

And having messed with this thread's purpose enough now I've finally managed to get off my fat behiney and found my first 'laugh until I felt breathless and sick' moment on Discworld...

The old man had a large white horse tethered to a withered tree in a snow-filled gully some way from the circles. It was sleek, glossy and the general effect of a superb battle charger was only very slightly spoiled by the haemorrhoid ring tied to the saddle."

Gimme Cohen over Hrun any day of the week :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:11 pm

I've been feeling somewhat like that recently Jan - I just want a book I can lose myself in.
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I've been feeling somewhat like that recently Jan - I just want a book I can lose myself in.

Ditto! I read to escape whatever daily stresses are going on.
Catch-up

Postby cols » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:29 am

This one stuck in my head for years especially when we were study English in school every time someone said "without" in some old dialect I'd be giggling
"There's knocking without"
"without what"
"Wihout the door, idiot"
"A Knocking without a door?"...
"This isn't some kind of Zen is it "
:D
cols

Postby Kade » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:38 pm

I couldnt agree with you more Tony and Catch-up, nothing like losing yourself in a good book

Nanny Ogg looked him up and down or, at least, down and further down. "You're a dwarf," she said. - Witches Abroad

"Baths is unhygienic, you know I've never agreed with baths. Sittin' around in your own dirt like that." - Witches Abroad

"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend." -Night Watch

The Assassin moved quietly from roof to roof until he was well away from the excitement around the Watch House. His movements could be called cat-like, except that he did not stop to spray urine up against things -Night Watch

Or just about anything from anyother Pratchett book, almost suffocated myself while rereading The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky laughed so much
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
Kade

Postby Byakuran » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Haha I'd forgotten about the "Mister Safety Catch" line, that was so good!

"Well then, how about Bum? In the sense of, er, migratory worker? He's a freelance chicken throttler, style o' fing?" - Gaspode, Fifth Elephant

LET'S SLEIGH THEM! I DON'T KNOW IF YOU NOTICED, ALBERT, BUT THAT WAS A PUNE, OR PLAY ON WORDS. - Death, Hogfather

"Inside every fat girl there is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate. Perdita was the thin girl, Agnes was the lot of chocolate." - Carpe Jugulum

"Slidey Harris was unlucky at cards last night, he played the ace of spades." - "Is that an unlucky card?" - "It is when Big Tony knows he didn't deal it to you. But I'll soon have it removed." - Dr. Lawn and Vimes, Night Watch (I'm not sure about the two names mentioned though...)
DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy!
Byakuran

Postby NightOwl » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:09 pm

My all-time favourite quote is the "Blues Brothers"-esque

"We're on a mission from Glod!"
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:16 pm

NightOwl wrote:My all-time favourite quote is the "Blues Brothers"-esque

"We're on a mission from Glod!"
I groaned when I read that one! :lol: Terry will sometimes go to great lengths to fit a joke into a story.
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:22 pm

A line from Mary Gentle's "Grunts" although not my favorite is pass me another Elf this one is spilt, it makes grimace and laugh at the same time.
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum