Pratchettisms

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Pratchettisms

Postby Dotsie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:01 pm

Do Pratchettisms take over your everyday life? I can't see multiple exclamation marks without thinking "sure sign of a diseased mind". I've changed my language as well - it's been a longtime since I used "am not" instead of "aten't" :oops:

Is it too late for me to rejoin normal society do you think? Please tell me I'm not the only one!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:26 pm

You've got no chance Dotsie! :lol: We're all doomed.

I have a feeling that one of these days a Pratchett fan is going to be seriously hurt or even killed because someone is going to shout "DUCK!" and ulike any 'normal' person we are going to reply "What duck?!" :shock: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:02 pm

theres a painter in work with me called margretson and every time i fill his work sheets in i put magratson :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby CarolineB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Haha the exclamation mark thing is SO me! I do it all the time. and i can't stop my self from saying "It's all bloody klatchian to me" instead of the roundworld version. "Excuse my klatchian" is common aswell.

I try so hard not to do it, but it just slips through. Hardly any of my friends have ever read Discworld, so they probably wonder a bit about these things.
"Go on, do Deformed Rabbit... it's my favourite."
CarolineB

Postby chris.ph » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:12 pm

welcome to the site caroline it looks like youll fit right in :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:13 pm

:lol: I do that as well Caroline. :lol: Welcome to the site. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Caroline, welcome from me as well and I wonder how that would sound in Swedish. :) not a chef by any chance are you. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby CarolineB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Hi Caroline, welcome from me as well and I wonder how that would sound in Swedish. :) not a chef by any chance are you. :mrgreen:

well i don't do it in swedish really, but i used to live in London for a while and have loads of non swedish speaking friends. Tons of aussies, as a matter of fact, i picked up a few expressions from them, which makes rereading TLC a bit embarrassing. Still.. No worries, eh?

Edit: bah I'm being so rude. thank you for welcoming me btw!
"Go on, do Deformed Rabbit... it's my favourite."
CarolineB

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:36 pm

I almost got to Stockholm a couple years ago for the sf convention I registered for it but at the last minute I could not go, I also know a few people from there, the Anders,Urban and Ilva etc. who attend Eastercons here and Worldcons.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:22 pm

I have to admit to exclaiming 'OOK'! or 'EEK'! depending on the occasion. I'm also guilty of over using exclamation marks and warning my sister (if she deserves it), that is she doesn't behave herself, I will start a-tapping of my feet, and a-crossing of my arms and a-pursing of my lips. And then, I will ask for an explanation'!, to which she then cries: 'Waily, Waily'!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:36 am

Batty wrote:I have to admit to exclaiming 'OOK'! or 'EEK'! depending on the occasion. I'm also guilty of over using exclamation marks and warning my sister (if she deserves it), that is she doesn't behave herself, I will start a-tapping of my feet, and a-crossing of my arms and a-pursing of my lips. And then, I will ask for an explanation'!, to which she then cries: 'Waily, Waily'!
Not the tapping-of-the-feet and the crossing-of-the-arms! :shock:

Actually, did you know that "O Waly Waly" is a very very old folk song? :)
Last edited by Tonyblack on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonyblack

Postby Shane » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Im a fan of "Crivens!" myself,to the bemusement of all around me.

I may be wrong but i think i remember reading "crivens" in the 70's in Oor Wullie or possibly the Broons annuals at my grans.
Shane

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Shane wrote:Im a fan of "Crivens!" myself,to the bemusement of all around me.

I may be wrong but i think i remember reading "crivens" in the 70's in Oor Wullie or possibly the Broons annuals at my grans.
:lol: You're probably right. Terry seems to have read and ingested everything ever written in the history of the world. It never ceases to amaze me the references he uses. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Shane wrote:Im a fan of "Crivens!" myself,to the bemusement of all around me.

And also Jings and Help ma Bob.magic stuff Eh!. :)
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Byakuran » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:51 pm

O waily waily is one I use a lot, which seems to scare everyone nearby :D

And I also use the Chicken reference (Methodia Rascal in Thud!) quite a lot, especially to warn someone of something behind them "Look out for the chicken!"
DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy!
Byakuran

Next

Return to The Broken Drum