Amazon Kindle

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:So, if I go onto Amazon now, and buy a Kindle, and have it sent to:

Pip
Pip Manor
No. 1 Pip Street
Pippsville
County Pip
Republic of Pip

you'd return it?

:wink:

Got offered a sony ebook and didn't want it. Love the feel of a book. I love the look of a full bookshelf.
Can't get that with a Kindle thingy.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:38 pm

I don't see why it has to be an 'either or' thing. I think paper books and ebooks compliment each other and make up for each others cons to a degree. I love to read in any format and will continue to buy both paper and ebooks.
"We're on a mission from Glod"
TheTurtleMoves

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Totally agree with pip. :shock:

I will never but an ereader. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Well each to their own :) I find them to be a space and money saver.
TheTurtleMoves

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

How much do they cost to buy? :D

And are ebooks cheaper?
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Indeed.

I wanted something to read last weekend, so downloaded about five books to my Kindle, at a cost of around 79p each.

Kept me amused for 2 days.

Don't know about you, Turtle, but I find that I get through books so much faster on a Kindle than in book form.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 pm

What were the titles of these books? :D
Spot goes to town, Spot goes to the park, Spot meets a rabid squirrel, Spot contracts rabies, Spot is put down. :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Indeed.

I wanted something to read last weekend, so downloaded about five books to my Kindle, at a cost of around 79p each.

Don't know about you, Turtle, but I find that I get through books so much faster on a Kindle than in book form.

I bought the entire Jasper FForde collection in hardback with two signed for the missus at christamas for eleven pound while the ebook price would have topped a hundred quid. A bookshelf is also cheaper than a kindle. :D
LAtest release books tend to cost about the same but you can't go 'Oy Poohcarrot just read a bleedin deadly book . would you like a lend . then we can both discuss it.'

A book can be passed around, shared loved by many. ebooks are restrictive. I love showing off my book collection and lending to trusted people.
Ebooks just don't allow that.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Indeed.

They were proper books, with big words in. :wink:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:59 pm

I don't have the Kindle. I have the Kindle phone app (which is free). Lots of books are free and many of them are a few pounds. If something should happen to my phone, all I have to do is redownload the app and all my books will be there without having to repurchase. If my paper books are damaged it will cost me a lot to replace them.
TheTurtleMoves

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Why are you being so coy about the titles? :?
We're talking vampires, aren't we? :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Exactly.

I love paperbacks too (not a fan of hardbacks because of cost and find them very heavy to handle), but if your collection is on Kindle (or an App), you can get them again if they're lost for whatever reason.

The replacement cost of shelves full of books lost to a fire, flood, etc, makes me shudder.

Bouncy Castle

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Also I believe you can share them between Kindles in the US. Also you could just burn the file to disc and share them that way or just lend out your kindle. I lent my phone to my housemate yesterday because she wanted to have a look at the Grimm Fairy Tales book (which was free to download I might add).
TheTurtleMoves

Postby deldaisy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:10 pm

I only wish that Ebooks were around when my dad was alive. He LOVED reading.... loved books.... no... he loved WORDS and information.

He was an invalid most of my life and as he got worse it was harder and harder for him to hold the newspapers (which were his life). Especially the better newspapers that tend to be VERY large spreadsheets.

Even books became hard to hold up in the later years and we brought him all kinds of things to hold them. Ebooks would have been wonderful... and even though he was born in 1917.. he LOVED new technology! Right up his alley.

My adult daughter is an avid reader... and by downloading books onto her phone or MP3 player she always has something to read without carting a heavy book around (she was injured in the same car accident as me and has trouble carrying heavy things for long as do I)

When I was in hospital a few years ago, my daughter brought in reading material on her phone and blue toothed it to mine. (No comment on the nature of said material).... in any case.... it was so much easier to read my phone in bed than a book (no lights on during the night to disturb anyone either). I adore books.

I think both technologies have a place and look forward to getting some kind of reader.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:19 pm

That is certainly another advantage. I find that reading on my phone is a lot less likely to set my RSI off than holding a paper book.

I still love paper books but I love ebooks equally.
TheTurtleMoves

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels