Street names needed

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Street names needed

Postby Soryah » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Small town twinned with Ankh-Morpork is in need of new street names any suggestions?
Broken Drum road?
A traveler from Borogravia
Soryah

Postby chris.ph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:29 pm

welcome to the site soryah :lol: how about weatherwax cresent
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Soryah,welcome from me to. :)
And have you seen this that was posted on The Cunning Artificers site about the new steet names in Wincanton.

It is with great delight that we are able to announce an important step forward in the continuing relationship between Ankh-Morpork and Wincanton. A new housing development is being built in the town by George Wimpey & Co, and they have decided that some of the streets are to be named after their counterparts in Ankh-Morpork. Terry has agreed a selection of names, and fans will be invited to vote for their favourites. The winning names will be revealed by Terry at a special event on Sunday 5 April at the Wincanton office of George Wimpey, which just happens to be opposite the Discworld Emporium.

Voting will be done by email – as soon as the address is confirmed, we’ll make a further announcement. But you can start thinking of your choices straight away, because this is the shortlist:

Mollymog Street
Moon Pond Lane
Cable Street
Shamlegger Street
Peach Pie Street
Treacle Mine Road
Hen and Chickens Field
Lobbin Clout
Scoone Avenue
Tenth Egg Street
Kicklebury Street
Morpork Street
Ankh Street
The Ridings
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Soryah. welcome to the forum.
Dibbler Drive
Gaspode Gardens
Patrician Place
Angua Avenue.
:D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:09 pm

Being cynical I have a feeling this is a project that's doomed. Wimpey did this with Wallace and Gromit and although it eventually happened they had a lot of problems.

And can you imagine a non Discworld fan moving into Mollymog Street (or such) and getting a whole bunch of fans turning up outside their house in costume getting their photos taken? :shock:

Still I'll bet it won't be as bad as if you lived in Butt Hole Road. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Aahaaa

Postby Soryah » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:15 pm

My information comes from a local who wants Wincanton to be involved too. Especially those who don't know any of the references. My parent, ex mayor by the name of Winder (how spooky is that) wants me to find reference for each name by tomorrow!! I know a few but was having trouble with them all. Also he wanted other suggestions.
HELP
Soryah

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Tony did Bevis and Butthead not live there once.(Still I'll bet it won't be as bad as if you lived in Butt Hole Road.) :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Aahaaa

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Soryah wrote:My information comes from a local who wants Wincanton to be involved too. Especially those who don't know any of the references. My parent, ex mayor by the name of Winder (how spooky is that) wants me to find reference for each name by tomorrow!! I know a few but was having trouble with them all. Also he wanted other suggestions.
HELP
Foureks Place
Vetinari Avenue
Dibbler's market place
Patrician's Court
Clacks Close
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's Wee Dug

Dibblers market place

Postby Soryah » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Do you know Wincanton?

Dibblers market place... market square will never be the same
Soryah

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:40 pm

I have been down a few times for Hogfather event,may come down for April shower but left it too late for accomomdation. :(
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Aahaaa

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Soryah wrote:My information comes from a local who wants Wincanton to be involved too. Especially those who don't know any of the references. My parent, ex mayor by the name of Winder (how spooky is that) wants me to find reference for each name by tomorrow!! I know a few but was having trouble with them all. Also he wanted other suggestions.
HELP
I don't mean to sound dense Soryah, but I really don't understand what you are after here.

As I understood it from this thread on the Discworld Stamps Forum, it was already organised and people were going ahead and voting. :?

I'm not sure what you actually want. Sorry.
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:50 pm

i think she just wants somemore ideas thats all :wink:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Soryah » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:56 pm

My understanding was that the names were not all set. Also as you said about the Wallace and Grommit idea it sound great but what happens in reality. Do the names get used. The idea was to look at the first street names and tell people about the names so the whole idea doesn't get lost and people in Wincanton want to get involved.
PS thing about fans turning up to have photos with street names already happens. Conan turns up well underdressed to visit Wincanton in November!
Am a mad fan and would hate it to be a non event
Soryah

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Soryah wrote:My understanding was that the names were not all set. Also as you said about the Wallace and Grommit idea it sound great but what happens in reality. Do the names get used. The idea was to look at the first street names and tell people about the names so the whole idea doesn't get lost and people in Wincanton want to get involved.
PS thing about fans turning up to have photos with street names already happens. Conan turns up well underdressed to visit Wincanton in November!
Am a mad fan and would hate it to be a non event
I know Kev, I mean Cohen. :lol:

I'd suggest using the Streets of Ankh-Morpork Map or looking up the various streets in the Discworld Companion if you wanted to find out more about the streets. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:19 pm

OK - how about these from the A-M street map -

Brass Bridge Way
Dolly Sisters Street
Endless Street
Broken Moon Plaza/Square/Crescent
Sator Square
Pseudopolis Yard

Whorepits Lane might not be such a good bet... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Next

Return to The Broken Drum