Favorite group poll

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:00 am

MongoGutman wrote:In the Moist and Co, does that include Good Omens, Nation, Truckers (etc), Johnny (etc) and Once More With Footnotes?

Moist & Co only includes Moist, Dearheart and the Golems, the Post Office workers and the Bank workers

Some of the characters of Discworld don't belong with any group.

Although Tiffany is a witch (provisional) she and the Feegle don't belong with the Witches group
[/quote]Thats true.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby james.a.vivian » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 pm

I'd have to say I favour the Watch.
Its a close race as all the characters have become well known to me and much loved otherwise I couldn't keep turning those pages. Guarding the city along side Vimes and reading as the Watch and himself evolve is thrilling and leaves me hanging for more. :roll:
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby Portia » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 pm

I re-read a Watch book and think, 'I definitely like the Watch books best.' Then I re-read a Witches book and, 'Actually I like the Witches best'. So basically the answer depends on what I've just finished re-reading :)
Portia

Postby Pearwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:09 am

Hmm, tough one.

The Wizards of UU - I love the Rincewind books (bar Colour of Magic, but even that grew on me). But Unseen Academicals just drags the wizards waaaaaaaay down in my book.

The City Guard - Used to be my favourite, but they've become boring to me. Vimes has become everything he's ever hated, Carrot and Angua have lost any sense of humour and Nobby and Colon have been sidelined. Night Watch was just plain depressing.

The Witches - Love 'em. They're the best mix of humour and Terry's philisophical musings. Although I wish Magrat hadn't been sidelined in favour of boring Agnes.

Tiffany and the Nan Mac Feegle - Have only read the first two. Liked Wee Free Men, but thought Hat Full of Sky was only so-so.

Death & Co - Like these ones a lot too. My only real problem is that I find them the most samey (most of them are about Death taking a break from his duties), but hey if it ain't broke.

Moist Von Lipwig & Co - The Moist books strike me as perfectly mediocre. I don't dislike them like I do Night Watch and Unseen Academicals, but I could happily do without another one in the series. Love Small Gods and Pyramids (which is probably the one I've read most). Monstrous Regiment was decent. In the middle of reading Maurice for the first time and liking it so far.

So after a lot of waffle, The Witches win it for me with honourable mentions for Death and Rincewind.
Pearwood

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:31 am

Pearwood wrote: Love Small Gods and Pyramids (which is probably the one I've read most).

Hi Pearwood. :D

I must say you have excellent tastes. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 am

50/50 Wizards and Death.

would have been 33/33/33 with Moist in the mix (sounds wrong :? ) but Making Money was rather disappointing.
LilMaibe

Postby pip » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 am

Pooh with an Ally.
Scary thought. :shock:
Pyramids will take over the forum. :shock: :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Pearwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:08 am

^ Is Pyramids not considered one of the better ones by most people then? The Epheban philosophers alone make it one of my favourites. :D
Pearwood

Postby DaveC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am

Pearwood wrote:^ Is Pyramids not considered one of the better ones by most people then? The Epheban philosophers alone make it one of my favourites. :D

It is regarded as awesome, but it is Pooh's favourte, so we tease him, he enjoys it... :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Antiq » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Death and Co. My first Discworld encounter, and my everlasting favourite.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Perestroika » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 am

The wizards win with me hands down, but most probably because Rincewind is my fav discworld character, and they're in a lot of the same books.

the Watch come a pretty close second though.
Perestroika

Previous

Return to Discworld novels