Graphic Discworld Novels

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:41 pm

I haven't got Eric graphic yet, but I will find it, Freddy.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:53 pm

But you'll have to pay at least 60 pounds for an original Eric hardback. :cry:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pandasthumb » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:01 am

I've just finished reading the The Light Fantastic and I can't quite make up my mind about it. On the one hand I acknowledge that it is a good story to adapt to this form, but on the other I do not find the story as rich or as satisfying. I feel that it lacks some of the intrinsic cleverness and subtleties of text that I enjoy in a Pratchett. This genre does not, of course, rely so much on text (apart from dialogue) and instead is based upon, well, graphics. The graphics are ok but now it seems it is just a story here rather than an adventure. There is a whole richness to Twoflower that has been lost.

But I will reserve judgement until I have read the others. :?

(and the whole bolding of text thing is very annoying).
pandasthumb

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:40 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Ah! I thought so. The COM and LF both came in 4 issues. I've recently bought the originals.

I now have Eric HB
Mort signed by TP and Graham Higgins signed + little picture
Guards Guards HB - only 1500 made
COM/LF originals

My comic collection is complete.

I've got all these as well but none are signed, the next step Pooh is the original artwork. So far I've got one page from the 4th part of The Light Fantastic painted by Joe Bennet. It is interesting because it shows how much bigger the paintings were before being reduced to comic size. The original is on the left and is signed by Terry, the same page cut out of one of the comics is on the right.

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 pm

I remember seeing that in your house. :D (I hadn't started on the Sarah whatshername by then)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:59 pm

I'd like to find more by the other artists involved, it seemed to be an ever changing list at the front of the comics as to who did what
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Raz » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Nice piece you got there Mad Collector! I haven't got anything like that in terms of TP stuff, but I have a storyboard lithiograph from Star Wars: A New Hope, which was used by the special effects department in the making of the film. I will take a pic tonight if anyone is interested
Raz

Hmmm...

Postby CJDobs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Wow. Having read this and other threads about graphic novels and illustrated Eric etc, I'm starting to think I'm sat on a bit of a goldmine.

My Pratchett collection - including aforementioned graphic novels/illustrated Eric etc - are all first edition prints with the exception of TCOM, LF, ER M and S.

I have the hardback and paperback editions of all UK Pratchett novels since (as purchased on UK release date).

That's what happens when you work in the city centre - I used to visit Waterstones, Dillons and HMV every single lunch hour and whenever anything Discwolrd was released, I just bought it on the day!

Will never sell personally of course, but handy to know there maybe a small nest egg in them for my kids (unless I can convince the little buggers to actually READ them first . . . . . ).

:lol:
"If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter. "
CJDobs

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 pm

I take you will give them the PB to read 1st or are you going to be brave n foolhardy with the firsts. :wink: :( :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 pm

To be honest, I don't like the style of The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic graphic novels. It's done too much like a stereotypical fantasy comic of the time, and the artwork was too serious. I mean, I viewed the Lady pretty much as Paul Kidby later drew her.

Guards! Guards! was better done, in my opinion. It didn't take itself too seriously, and had an interesting style that fitted.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby CJDobs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:33 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I take you will give them the PB to read 1st or are you going to be brave n foolhardy with the firsts. :wink: :( :)

If any of them ever showed an interest in reading, I'd happily share the frist editions! Sadly, even though me and the wife read all the time, none of our three boys have taken to it at all - still i've got some hope left with the youngest aged 9. I was 11 before I discovered how good books could be . . . . (it was Jack Higgins 'The Eagle has Landed' and Robert Leesons 'The Third Class Genie' that started it all for me!).
"If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter. "
CJDobs

Postby james.a.vivian » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 pm

I've only just read guards guards, like it. I'll definitely read and collect the rest.
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby Tiffany » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 am

I found the graphic paperback of The Light Fantastic at a car boot yesterday for 50p. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:55 am

Nice find, Tiff! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby archerinwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:37 pm

I am only missing the Guards! Guards! one. :(
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books