New Sony eReader

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby saphyress » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:48 am

Oh yes, if someone borrows a book and bends the pages over, that's a hanging offense - poor books! Now if they were magical, they could strike back!
saphyress

Postby chris.ph » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:40 pm

your going to the wrong libraries saph.
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

e-book reader

Postby Philippa » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:37 am

I just got one of these and after the usual ritual of the air turning blue while I tried (or rather my son tried)** to get it and my computer to talk to each other, I have now got NATION and a few other books on it. It's really neat - like a slim hardback book but can carry over 180 books in it. Much nicer looking than the Kindle. As someone else says here, it'll never take the place in my heart reserved for real books but - oh boy - what a difference it will make to journeys and holidays!

**for the sake of getting to the point, I've left out the bit where the two machines STILL don't talk nicely to each other (it turns out it won't work with my 64bit PC) and I had to get the nice IT chaps at work to install on my office machine. Oh, and it definitely doesn't work with Macs.
Philippa

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:17 pm

can you store books on a usb and then load them in phillipa or is it a straight download from computer? i thought youd be able to store more than 140 books on them as well !!!!
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:18 pm

180 books sorry and which one did you buy please phillipa?
chris.ph

Postby rentawitch » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:08 pm

i wouldn't have one of these as i use a smartphone which has ereader on it and i read from that on the train.
It is much easier than carrying a book around and i can even read easily when strap hanging.

the london tube is not reader friendly at rush hour for the most part!

:D
I love my computer, all my friends live in it.
rentawitch

Postby silverstreak » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I definatly would not use one.After all with something so small where would you load the charcoal?
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Philippa » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:50 am

chris.ph wrote:180 books sorry and which one did you buy please phillipa?

I don't have 180 books on it yet. My son downloaded a book that he liked the look of, The Warrior by Marie Brennan. I haven't heard of this book or the author, nor have I read it yet. Currently I can't get it from the Adobe ebook library onto the reader itself (problems with Adobe and my 64bit PC) so it remains - er - unread.

I do have a copy of Nation on the reader, which I got through my work and I can say that I think the experience is pretty impressive. The maps and chapter heads look good, the type is very readable.
Philippa

Postby chris.ph » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:36 pm

just had an email off sony ereader and they are giving away some free scifi books and an ereader programme to download onto your pc or laptop :)
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:14 pm

With 64 bit a lot of programs wont work as companies have not developed drivers for them.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:23 pm

dont know wot that means but i got 2 books i havent got :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:06 pm

I can see how they will help when you're on holiday, as they'll be a lot lighter to carry, but I still prefer an actual book to read.
If there's something I want to re-read or refer back to in a book, I can scim back and search for it, but I don't think that will be possible on an e-reader.
Besides, I like the smell of a new book!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby chris.ph » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:11 pm

you can go back and for to your hearts content and you never lose your page. i love real books but these are free and i love free :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Stultus Saxum » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 pm

chris.ph wrote:you can go back and for to your hearts content and you never lose your page. i love real books but these are free and i love free :lol:

You may love free, but I love phwoar!

Sorry. Just checking with my pictionary imp...

Is that rude?

"Ss"
Stultus Saxum

Postby chris.ph » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:51 pm

no thate not rude theres plenty of phwoar sites around tho :lol:
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum