Cross Overs

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Cross Overs

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Do you ever see references to one TV show or movie in another?

I was just watching the final episode in the first series of Star Trek The Next Generation. In the episode the crew of the Enterprise find a derelict spacecraft from Earth with three people cryogenically frozon from 300 years in the past.

One of the three people, when unfrozen, is concerned about what became of her family and Councellor Troi uses the computer to track down her family tree. There is a series of screen shots of the family tree scrolling past and I suddenly saw a name I thought I recognised, so I rewound and advanced it frame by frame and sure enough:

I don't know if you can read the names on the left of the screen, but they start with William Hartnell and then list all the other Dr. Whos to Colin Baker. :lol:

Have you seen anything like this before?
Last edited by Tonyblack on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:54 pm

That is weird, Tony. They did it as an in joke I guess, but I bet you are the only one who noticed it. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Straw Walker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:15 pm

I can't read the detail Tony but if it's a proper family tree, who are the partners and children of the various doctors? Fascinating stuff, well spotted. :D
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby chris.ph » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 pm

does that make you a spotter for spotting that :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Well spotted! You must have the eyesight of an eagle!

I can't make out the two names after Colin Baker, but I'm impressed that you noticed it.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Well it was a bit clearer on the DVD and the name Jon Pertwee seemed to jump out that's why I went back. But it was only on the screen for a very short time. :)

I guess it's one of those subconscious thinks like hearing your name in a crowded noisy room.

The name after Colin Baker seems to be "Mary Richards" whoever she is. Don't know what the other stuff says. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 am

Those guys did well to have babies! No wonder their offspring wasn't very healthy (i remember the episode).

And well done Tony for the spot. My spots are all of the obvious homage-type references. Hot Fuzz is full of them.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am

Dotsie wrote:Those guys did well to have babies! No wonder their offspring wasn't very healthy (i remember the episode).

And well done Tony for the spot. My spots are all of the obvious homage-type references. Hot Fuzz is full of them.
I thought that about the babies - must be a Timelord thing. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 am

There are loads of things like that in films and TV, little homages slipped in specifically for us nitpickers to find!

For instance, in the Jackie Chan Rush Hour films (can't remember if it's in 2 or 3) the Paris one, in the extras you get a helicopter shot of Jackie and the baddie fighting on the Eiffel Tower. As it zooms in, you see they are fighting with lightsabres!

There are loads around.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Yes in series 1 of Heroes, Hiro's father played by George Takei (Mr Sulu from Star Trek) gets out of a car that has the reegistration number NCC 1701 - the registration of the Starship Enterprise. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:41 pm

There is talk of having a girl as Dr Who, can't remember where I read that now, but I say 'no way'.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jason » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yes in series 1 of Heroes, Hiro's father played by George Takei (Mr Sulu from Star Trek) gets out of a car that has the reegistration number NCC 1701 - the registration of the Starship Enterprise. :D

I spotted that one too. Strangely when I mention it to people at work I get funny looks. I thought everyone knew that the Enterprises reg was NCC1701
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Jason wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Yes in series 1 of Heroes, Hiro's father played by George Takei (Mr Sulu from Star Trek) gets out of a car that has the reegistration number NCC 1701 - the registration of the Starship Enterprise. :D

I spotted that one too. Strangely when I mention it to people at work I get funny looks. I thought everyone knew that the Enterprises reg was NCC1701
:lol: Ever feel like a nerd? I know I do! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:18 pm

omg wot am i doing here ,oh yeah i forgot , ive got all tng in their wrappers so i must b worse than u lot i hope not tho :P :roll:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:25 pm

This morning Mr Dotsie was talking about logarithmic scales (the Richter scale, decibels etc), & I said "Yes! Just like with warp factors on Star Trek!" :lol:

Luckily, Mr D just thinks I'm extra special :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre