First Contact

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby barrie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:18 am

My first contact was in Spring 2005. Renta dragged me from the undergrowth and Uncle Bernard suggested in a tone that implied we better turn up.

I was supposed to talk with Terry about the Jewellery some time in the afternoon, but I joined the signing queue instead. When i reached the front I asked for the book to be made to 'Barrie, the Jeweller'. Terry put down his pen and looked at me with a smile and said something like "So its your fault then".
We then chatted about casting and old fashioned Jewellery techniques, I got my book signed and we had another little chat later about horses and things shiny.
barrie

Postby Catch-up » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:14 pm

I've only met him once, in 2003 when Monsterous Regiment came out. He was chatty with several people ahead of me until he got one of those people who wanted him to sign every book he'd ever written. That took the chat right out of him I think. I was too starstruck to come up with anything good to say (it was pre-stamps, so I didn't have the advantage of saying "I'm one of those crazy Flatalists.") and all I asked was, "Do you mind if my husband takes our picture?" :oops:
Catch-up

Postby Jarmara » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:33 pm

First contact would have been Dillons in Aberdeen in the early/mid nineties. No questions, I was very much of the 'nk you' ilk, this being actually better than meeting Santa.

At DiscCon '98 though, my number came out of the hat to be amongst the few who got a special audience with Terry that year, able to ask whatever we wished. I asked if he's named Lancre after a french Magistrate called De Lancre who had presided over Witchcraft Trials in France during the 16th Century persecutions there.

No I really did! :?

He was very kind and his lengthy answer boiled down to 'no, not that I'm aware of, it's meant to be Lancashire' :lol: :lol: :oops:
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Jarmara wrote:First contact would have been Dillons in Aberdeen in the early/mid nineties. No questions, I was very much of the 'nk you' ilk, this being actually better than meeting Santa.

At DiscCon '98 though, my number came out of the hat to be amongst the few who got a special audience with Terry that year, able to ask whatever we wished. I asked if he's named Lancre after a french Magistrate called De Lancre who had presided over Witchcraft Trials in France during the 16th Century persecutions there.

No I really did! :?

He was very kind and his lengthy answer boiled down to 'no, not that I'm aware of, it's meant to be Lancashire' :lol: :lol: :oops:

:lol: Geek! :lol:

Sorry about that! I remember coming across the same reference myself and being so convinced that he must have based the place of (Guy?) De Lancre, that to this day I've always pronounced it as if it were a French word. :oops:

Ha! What does Terry know? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:22 pm

***hugs Tony***

Aw you just made me feel so better!
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby VesuvianRuin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:31 pm

I would have thought exactly the same thing too!
Nietzsche: "Nothing is true, everything is possible"
VesuvianRuin

Postby Jinx » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Yep, and had I been aware of De Lancre I'd have likely thought the same.
For some reason that eludes me, I always thought it was meant to be a Swiss sounding name but with no real inspiration.

The first time I met Terry was at a book signing for Wintersmith in Borders. The cue was miles long and I wasn't very close to the front when it started moving. After some considerable time (which was spent not thinking about running water), I started to get closer. I had thought of a question I wanted to ask, but by the time I got to him I had decided it was unfair to tax his time considering the long day he was likely to have still ahead of him (nothing what-so-ever to do with the fact that I had to climb down 3 flights of steps and cue up and pay for my book before I would be allowed to use the toilet). So, I simply said "'nk you." and moved on.

I can't even remember the question now, so I probably just wanted to be a smart arse or something. I think it was a personal question, regarding changes in his faith since he started the Discworld series. Sometimes I get the impression he pities the gods despite or possible because of their ignorance.

I think if I met him again I would ask one he's probably more accustomed to hearing, like 'What Discworld character do you most relate to?'.
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Jinx wrote:Yep, and had I been aware of De Lancre I'd have likely thought the same.
For some reason that eludes me, I always thought it was meant to be a Swiss sounding name but with no real inspiration.

The Lancre Army Knife perhaps? :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The Lancre Army Knife perhaps? :wink:

Ah that might've been a clue, and I'm pretty sure Lancre cheese has holes in it now that I think about it.
Jinx

Postby TheMole » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:11 pm

I met him in 1997, when he had a book signing in our town...well, it was quite simple - I had been standing in a terrible queue, then I gave him "Stráže!Stráže!" (Guards!Guards!) and "Soudné sestry" (Wyrd Sisters), spelled out my name for him, said "Thank you very much" and went home. :D
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby RACKU » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 am

Oh dear D: You all are remarkably lucky to have met him. What are you to do when you live in a smallish (uh, biggest inland) city, that which being in Australia?
Damnation to you all =P
RACKU

Postby Jinx » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:30 pm

RACKU wrote:Oh dear D: You all are remarkably lucky to have met him. What are you to do when you live in a smallish (uh, biggest inland) city, that which being in Australia?
Damnation to you all =P

Travel. How close is the DWCon in Austrailia to you?
http://snowgumfilms.com/runrincewindrun/ <- You reminded me of this entertaining film.
Jinx

Postby elvedhel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:22 pm

hopefully i'll get chance to meet TP at next signing London way.. as for what i'll ask.. simple..Do you like Cheese?
elvedhel

Postby Nausica » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:39 pm

RACKU wrote:Oh dear D: You all are remarkably lucky to have met him. What are you to do when you live in a smallish (uh, biggest inland) city, that which being in Australia?
Damnation to you all =P
He did a book-signing tour here a couple years ago, he might well do another. :D
Nausica

Postby BlackAssassin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Nausica wrote:
Damnation to you all =P
He did a book-signing tour here a couple years ago, he might well do another. :D

... and I was there!!! my hubby was sick in bed with the flu so I went and lined up for 4 hours in front of Dymocks book shop in Perth and waited and waited and waited and then when I got to the front I told him I had bought the book for my hubby for his bday and that he was in bed sick with the flu so he signed the book for him.

I think If I had another chance I would ask him if he has his potato with him....

Ally
xxox
BlackAssassin

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett