Firefly/Serenity

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:05 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:With Jon Pertwee or David Tennant? Must have been Jon if it's UNIT I suppose - he must have been a 'red shirt' in that? so I missed him and UNIT's uniform doesn't float my boat. :lol:

See for yourself. He's Captain Hawkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvB_2LukkY
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:32 am

PMSL - well he had about 2 close-ups and really rivetting dialogue (in that clip)! :lol: I was like 8 or 9 - 11 at most (and possibly still hiding behind the sofa) and that was almost 40 years ago. I did not notice him 'cos he was

1) wearing beige - UNITs uniforms sucked :roll:
2) he was speaking like a posh git and being polite :roll:
3) wasn't wearing leather :roll:

No, I didn't remember him in that, so sue me :lol: He can't have been in that timeline for long though - there was the Brigadier, Capt Mike someone who was a fair-haired Eton type and fancied Jo thing (Katy Manning) and Serjeant Benton who was hanging out with Hawkins during the search as the friendly muscle, who were the regular UNIT players. The uniform's even lousier than I remember it :twisted:

My point with the soap, was that it was like last year and he's still bloody sexy as hell :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:08 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:PMSL - well he had about 2 close-ups and really rivetting dialogue (in that clip)! :lol: I was like 8 or 9 - 11 at most (and possibly still hiding behind the sofa) and that was almost 40 years ago. I did not notice him 'cos he was

1) wearing beige - UNITs uniforms sucked :roll:
2) he was speaking like a posh git and being polite :roll:
3) wasn't wearing leather :roll:

He does die at the hands of a Silurian.

Jan Van Quirm wrote:No, I didn't remember him in that, so sue me :lol:

With gusto. Where's my lawyer...?

Jan Van Quirm wrote:He can't have been in that timeline for long though - there was the Brigadier, Capt Mike someone who was a fair-haired Eton type and fancied Jo thing (Katy Manning) and Serjeant Benton who was hanging out with Hawkins during the search as the friendly muscle, who were the regular UNIT players. The uniform's even lousier than I remember it :twisted:

That was the original UNIT uniform, and it was changed partly because Nicholas Courtney (the Brigadier) hated it too.

Actually, although I thought I did see Benton in the search party, I was pretty sure John Levene, and the character of Benton, didn't return until the next story, The Ambassadors of Death. He's not even credited as an extra, to my knowledge. And I've checked.

Jan Van Quirm wrote:My point with the soap, was that it was like last year and he's still bloody sexy as hell :lol:

I dunno about that, but his voice has remained more or less the same. I always thought that during his interview for the Blake's 7 series 4 boxset (which became the documentary Forever Avon), as well as that for the Doctor Who story Timelash, he had this very warm, paternal air that is very different from his roles on-screen.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:02 pm

He still has the 'chocolate mousse' voice - and the chocolate's Belgian - with a hint of chili :D

For an older lady he's still absolutely fine, even with the gut (we can't be that fussy obviously), but it's still the voice and the narrow-eyed sneer/stare/disdain :lol: He's better at that than even Clint Eastwood! :shock: I can't like Clint like 'that' 'cos my Dad was the spit of him (only much shorter) when they were 25 :P

The Uniform? Yeah, it went forest green I think but it was still pants - I think it's the beret :( Benton was with Capt Hawkins at the beginning of the clip when they were searching the building they found Liz in. Very, very young though :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:He still has the 'chocolate mousse' voice - and the chocolate's Belgian - with a hint of chili :D

For an older lady he's still absolutely fine, even with the gut (we can't be that fussy obviously), but it's still the voice and the narrow-eyed sneer/stare/disdain :lol: He's better at that than even Clint Eastwood! :shock: I can't like Clint like 'that' 'cos my Dad was the spit of him (only much shorter) when they were 25 :P

The Uniform? Yeah, it went forest green I think but it was still pants - I think it's the beret :( Benton was with Capt Hawkins at the beginning of the clip when they were searching the building they found Liz in. Very, very young though :lol:

Clint Eastwood? I do remember that Darrow mentioned imitating a lot of Westerns when doing Blake's 7.

I always thought of Paul Darrow as being like a higher-pitched Alan Rickman. In fact, the first time I can recall a performance of his (besides watching bits of Doctor Who: Timelash) was him playing the evil wizard Zarok from the video game Medievil.

Quatermass

Firefly

Postby james.a.vivian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Firefly is awesome, Jayne has to be the best character in it. It was a shame that it got cancelled. Gotta love Summer. Another good Josh Whedon series is Doll house with Eliza Dushca :?: Faith from buffy
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm

he'll lose his pilot licence :shock: :shock: :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm

:shock:

I didn't know he had a pilot's licence.

Edit.

Oh. Wait. I just got it.

Doh.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh bouncy. :roll: :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm not into Firefly. That's probably why I didn't realise.

I'm sorry.

I'll go now............................... Image

Bouncy Castle

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Got to say I love em all :D :D

Firefly was stopped way to early.

Hope Fringe doesn't end anytime soon :(

Had a crush on Avon too!

Now, here's one for the older folks- remember the Outer Limits anyone? Was in black and white!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz9ruCf09do&feature=related

And this one has a young smaller (but not by much) eared Nimoy in.

Use to get special permission to stay up late to watch these. :D
spideyGirl

Postby pip » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 am

Did wash get done for speeding in the end or get off.
:?:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:09 pm

I wasn't speeding, it was drunk driving, I think.

He was stopped for speeding, but failed a field sobriety test.

Supposed to be in court 1st March.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:31 pm

cheers. Tonies new signature made me think of it. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre