What do American tourists do that offend people in Britain?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mystmoon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

:o del, i hand on heart swear, I never took nude piccies of ugly men on a tourists camera
yeh, the shambles are in York, they're next to marks and spencer, i used to use them as a shortcut to work in the morning, but couldn't use them in the afternoon cos they were too busy
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:04 pm

I KNOW that Americans hate being called "yanks" overseas... but hey thats what we call you ... its not suggesting you are from the north or the south... its a generalisation.

and on to the inhabitants of the islands up there....

You live in the United Kingdom.... We call most of you Brits. Unless you are Irish or Welsh or Scot.... If I am referring to everyone on all the islands.... what name do I use? If I mean ... *draws a big circle around England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales and other islands* WHAT do I call the people who live THERE?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby raisindot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 pm

deldaisy wrote:I KNOW that Americans hate being called "yanks" overseas... but hey thats what we call you ... its not suggesting you are from the north or the south... its a generalisation.

Only Americans from outside of New England hate being called Yanks. I kind of like it. We were the original Yankees. New York just appropriated it for their baseball team. :)

deldaisy wrote:
You live in the United Kingdom.... We call most of you Brits. Unless you are Irish or Welsh or Scot.... If I am referring to everyone on all the islands.... what name do I use? If I mean ... *draws a big circle around England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales and other islands* WHAT do I call the people who live THERE?

UKies?
Islanders?
UKups?
WISEguys/gals?

:)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:41 pm

deldaisy wrote:You live in the United Kingdom.... We call most of you Brits. Unless you are Irish or Welsh or Scot.... If I am referring to everyone on all the islands.... what name do I use? If I mean ... *draws a big circle around England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales and other islands* WHAT do I call the people who live THERE?

It's British Del, or Brits if you insist, this covers all the mainland and most of the islands. Almost all the ones who aren't Irish or Welsh or Scot are English :) Unless they are from The Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands of course which aren't British :roll: . There isn't a collective noun for all the people of the UK
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:48 pm

raisindot wrote:Only Americans from outside of New England hate being called Yanks. I kind of like it. We were the original Yankees. New York just appropriated it for their baseball team. :)

Never mind Yank, my ex wife (who is American) always preferred to be called Canadian when she was out of the country :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby mystmoon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:26 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
deldaisy wrote:You live in the United Kingdom.... We call most of you Brits. Unless you are Irish or Welsh or Scot.... If I am referring to everyone on all the islands.... what name do I use? If I mean ... *draws a big circle around England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales and other islands* WHAT do I call the people who live THERE?

It's British Del, or Brits if you insist, this covers all the mainland and most of the islands. Almost all the ones who aren't Irish or Welsh or Scot are English :) Unless they are from The Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands of course which aren't British :roll: . There isn't a collective noun for all the people of the UK

Which pretty much explains the relationship between the different countries and islands in the UK :lol:
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:37 pm

with the six nations just about to start im not getting involved in this :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Beyond Birthday » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 pm

So is Dexter, True Blood and Weeds shown in Britain?

Dexter and True Blood is mega popular over here.
Beyond Birthday

Postby BatrickPatrick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 pm

True Blood is definately, I think Dexter is on certain channels. Don't know about Weeds.

But I'm into Glee...Though I don't think it needs to be said there isn't really so much singing in real American schools.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:42 pm

In general I like tourists, whatever nationality, they pour money into London, staying in our vastly overpriced hotels, buying our expensive gift-crap, paying the exorbitant fares of the black cabs... money money money, come and give us more :-)

Also they tend to be happier than the locals - why not? they're on holiday! Meet a local and all you get is a moan, about the weather, about the govt., about anything - if they cant find anything else to moan about they'll moan about you.

But I do wish they'd look the right way when stepping off the curb. I'm always whizzing in and out of the traffic and couldn't tell you how many times I've had to stand on the brakes to miss 'em. And wont tell you how many I've hit.
MongoGutman

Postby deldaisy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 am

Mongo said:
But I do wish they'd look the right way when stepping off the curb. I'm always whizzing in and out of the traffic and couldn't tell you how many times I've had to stand on the brakes to miss 'em. And wont tell you how many I've hit.

Oh yeah... we get that too. never mind the poisonous marine life/spiders/sharks/snakes/crocs. We have antidotes for most of them.... but you WILL die if you drive one the WRONG side of the road people. Those road trains are a bugger! Just a tip.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:35 am

Beyond Birthday wrote:So is Dexter, True Blood and Weeds shown in Britain?

All three are on. With Tru Blood being on the most popular channel.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby mystmoon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 am

DaveC wrote:

Well, True Blood is on terrestrial so you can watch no matter what tv package you have, but the others are on channels that you have to pay for
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby DaveC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:03 am

mystmoon wrote:
DaveC wrote:

Well, True Blood is on terrestrial so you can watch no matter what tv package you have, but the others are on channels that you have to pay for

That's what I meant :)

Dexter is on ITV1 and FX with ITV being behind, and Weeds I think is only on ChannelOne - (Virgin1)?
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 pm

You should have posted the offending pictures back to the cab company manager(s), with an explanatory note.

He'd have never lived it down with is co-workers! :lol: :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books