Eureka

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Eureka

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm

What is your EUREKA!!!!! moment?

Mine was yesterday, when I finally managed to make mayonnaise after ten attempts!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Straw Walker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:07 pm

Mine came about 30 years ago when I finally understood how a radio receiver picks out the signal you want to hear from all the millions that are all around us. A feeling I'll never forget and a teacher with the patience of a saint :D
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Several I think, but the most memorable was the day I mastered the aids of the Flying Change, every stride. My horse was a star. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Bit political this one.

When I found out that the during the Falklands War, the Argentinian ship the General Belgrano wasn't in the exclusion zone when it was sunk, had never been in the exclusion zone and was in fact heading back to port. About 700 people were killed. Up to that point absolutely zero people had died in the Argentinian invasion and Thatcher did it purely for political purposes.

It made me realise that politicians don't care and kill people because of lies eg; WMDs in Iraq.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby mspanners » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:09 pm

The Falklands War was a political war, as are most others in the first place.

I used to work with a chap who was a petty officer on a ship that took part in that conflict, He keep a Photo album of His exploits which I found very Interesting.

It raised moral in the country when that Ship was sunk.

BUT ....It my have been steaming back to port but only to protect it self from the Subs that were there at the time.

If it had not been sunk it could have been a major risk to the lightly armed and defended transport ships sent to recapture those Isles.

Given a free hand it would have decimated the landing Ships.......

This sort of thing always goes on in wars, the fire bombing of Germany and Japan was not just to demoralise those Countries but to give your side a fighting spirit.

Sad as it sounds this is true of Human Nature....
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 pm

good shot as well. they invaded a soverign territory dont invade dont get killed tough
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby WannabeAngua » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Think my biggest eureka moment came during my time as a veterinarian student. We were practicing finding cows ovaries to decide where they were in their cycle. The poor cow had to patiently stand there while I sweated and fumbled with my arm up its ar**, and I had no idea how the bleedin' ovaries where supposed to feel like. Felt to me like I had my arm stuck up a warm, soft airhangar...
Then finally I found the one on the left, and I have never in my life been so glad to feel a small, round "ball" slip into my fingers :D
Last edited by WannabeAngua on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:Think my biggest eureka moment came during my time as a veterinarian student. We were practicing finding cows ovaries to decide where they were in their cycle. The poor cow had to patiently stand there while I sweated and fumbled with my arm up its ar**, and I had no idea how the bleedin' ovaries where supposed to feel like. Felt to me like I had my arm stuck up a warm, soft airhangar...
Then finally I found the one on the, and I have never in my life been so glad to feel a small, round "ball" slip into my fingers :D
What is it with vets and cows? Put a vet and a cow together and the first thing you know the vet has its arm up the cow's backside. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 pm

Shades of All Creatures Great & Small :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:21 pm

Probably scratching it's tonsils as it would not be safe to do it from the front. :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby WannabeAngua » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Probably why every cow I come across get that slightly constipated look in their eyes...they can smell it on me and instinctly their backside clamps up :lol:

Oh, and by the way, you do not want to know what we put some of the other species through...
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Tiffany wrote:Shades of All Creatures Great & Small :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loved that programme!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Looks like I started something here! :shock:

Hopefully I will be learning how to make custard from scratch and I hope to make it right first time. :wink:

Lady Vetinari

Postby chris.ph » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 pm

custards easy open a tin magrat :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 pm

chris.ph wrote:custards easy open a tin magrat :lol:

That's what I do, Chris, Ambrosia :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 pm

I usually use Birds powder.

I just want to be able to say: Yes, I can make proper custard... I did merengue before my dad!

Lady Vetinari

Next

Return to The Broken Drum