Story About Discworld - Starring, The Fans of Terry Pratchet

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Ponder - Quark will have to tell you his character as it's off-discworld and original to him (sorry Quark I know you did say but that may have been whilst Ponder was mired in real life)

Sally is the first Vampire in the Watch and also a 'spy' for Lady Margolotta in Uberwald (first appeared in Thud - if you didn't know this yet)
:wink: Crys - if you didn't already do one can you let us know what characteristics of you is going into Sally (see what we did at the very start of the thread).

Valentina Ariana - is an original Discworld character made up by Lady V and is a Vampire with Werewolf heritage too. I think Lady V did a character study for us but I don't know when she'll be back on the forum and she hasn't posted as her character anyway yet (so she'll have to tag along when she gets back)

Plots - what may work without being too prescriptive is an outline which is more or less what it says - we have a rough plan of what we want to do and where we want to do it, so presumably we're now

1. mostly heading away from the Broken Drum to UU (well Quark is) and that's where you are Ponder/Bursar, so that's one strand to follow as you two get together somehow with maybe something happening for you thrash out between you that requires Watch attention.
2. Sally is getting ready to leave the pub and presumably so will Cheery and maybe Gaspode too
3. we seem to want the some of the Watch in too, so that doesn't need too much organising if we don't mind a 'first come first served' option on the main cjharacters (or we can 'cast' or toss coins whatever :roll: )

Rules - Ponder over to you as you started the thread. We've abandoned the 2 sentence per post idea as people were finding that limiting aside from that I think what Cheery and others are not certain of how to play themselves and/or a main character but discuss that amongst yourselves.

I won't be able to get in here much until after Xmas now as I'm totally knackered and have too much travelling around to do with the housemate in hospital and my mum facing her 1st Xmas as a widow. I'm fine with whatever you all decide as to how we go on. :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:21 am

All right. Thanks, jan. Actually, you were doing quite well your self.
I think here's what the rules should be. Or rather guidelines.
Write anything. Don't contradict or overly bully anyone. Dont rite more than a para. Dont drop hints the size of bombs to coerce someone into posting what u want. Anything else? I dont think so.
Oh yea, and dont post anything that doesnt make sense(duh!!)
"Not even guidelines, really."

And perhaps we should have someone take on the role of semi-narrator to help smooth out the kinks in the storyline. of course he/she/it'll have to follow the majority vote if that so applies. Until someone applies i'll be the narrator, but i have bad imagination, so your all welcom.
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Just one quick thing Ponder and then I won't be in either thread until at least tomorrow.

I would recommend on the guidelines (much better than rules :wink: ) that you have a minimum post size limit rather than maximum, else this'll go really slowly, people will feel inhibited and 'conversation' will be stilted.

Not trying to score points here but I'm probably one of, if not the most experienced RPer and gamesmaster on the forum and if you want more than a venue/pub thread with people meandering in and out, an 'at least 200 word' post limit works best as that will stop spam/chatting in the thread and it allows more interaction when players are wanting to tag or converse as characters.

Up to this point above I've written 122 words, in which case maybe 'at least 100 words' might be more sensible as a lower limit so those new to roleplaying can get the hang of things. In general when I'm playing with experienced RPers I don't even bother with upper or lower post length limitations at all - as they do limit and make people anxious about what to post :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quark » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Well, it seems self-conscious to say the least, when you see a massive post, followed by a very small post, and then a very large post again by the same person. Agree with Jan, if we're going to have a limit, it should be a minimum!
Quark

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 am

I already posted a description of Sally based on who she really is and what i want to play, so if i remember correctly I wrote that she is
funny, loyal, friendly, a black ribboner, beautiful ( :lol: ) but I must add now she's loyal to her Watch, to her friends and to herself. She was a spy but now she'd never betray Vimes or Ankh-Morpork!!! :)

EDIT: well, she thinks she's funny, but she has her own sense of humour and sometimes(often :lol: ) she's the only one laughing :P
Last edited by CrysaniaMajere on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:36 am

Ok. Thanks Jan and Quark. This is the first time i've done a RPG so i'll just follow your advice (This time! :twisted: :lol: )
New Guideline:Minimum limit 100 words.
New New Guideline: No arguing with physics

From quarks last post i take it he's a new wizzard in UU. Similar to rincewind by the sounds of it. :lol:
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Quark » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 am

No arguing with physics

:lol:
Unless it's in a Discworld-y way

From quarks last post i take it he's a new wizzard in UU. Similar to rincewind by the sounds of it.

Sounds fine to me. :P We'll go with that.
Quark

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:26 am

Yes. That's what the sun was doing in the last post.

I seem to have said something. Were you planning on a different action, quark, or have the other nearby characters deserted you?

Here's a list of characters we need:
Vimes
the other members of the watch
other wizards
lady margalotta
igor (margalotta)
a troll
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Quark » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:51 pm

I was planning on a slightly different course of action... but I better let the powers-that-be command the plot. Not many people seem to still be posting :\
Quark

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 am

I still like and follow this story, but as right now I don't know where Sally could go or what she could do, I was waiting for something else to happen :oops: :oops: I should have more fantasy
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Quark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm just not overly willing to post back-to-back, and seeing as you're still back at the Broken Drum nothing I say can affect you much anyway. Run a subplot. Go nuts. Prosecute someone. :wink:

EDIT: Eh, what the hey.
Quark

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Quark wrote: Run a subplot. Go nuts. Prosecute someone. :wink:

Done! :wink:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Cheery » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Finally managed to post a part!
Sorry that I left the game for so long :oops:
Cheery

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Me too tech problems in that I managed to bust both my PC and the laptop but the latter's back up after a week being U/S - will get a post on tomorrow in the main thread :)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:32 am

I'm back! :twisted: I'm guessing nobody noticed :wink: .
Anyway, having gone on holiday and gotten my hands on Feet of Clay, I can certainly understand the allure of a Watch novel.
Quark

PreviousNext

Return to Games