Discworld I & II (coming soon to Windows XP & Vista)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby thelibrarian » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:32 am

Wow, I would love to play these games again. Monkey Island recently had a revamp/re-release for XP and Vista to coincide with the release of the new instalment, would be awesome if they did the same for these games as I no longer have the discs :(
thelibrarian

discworld games

Postby fiona82 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:55 pm

hi i love playing the discworld games!!

just wondered is there any chance they would be coming out on any other game console ie the wii??
fiona82

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:06 am

Hello and welcome fiona82 :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Re: discworld games

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:51 am

fiona82 wrote:hi i love playing the discworld games!!

just wondered is there any chance they would be coming out on any other game console ie the wii??
Welcome to the site fiona82. I suspect it's highly unlikely that the games will be available for the newer consoles - but I seem to remember (I think) that they are available for the Playstation. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:20 pm

In a separate incident (Before coming to this forum, but after getting interested in Discworld) I found that the original Discworld I game was actually abandonware. >.> <.< So, I downloaded a copy, and I have to say it's pretty good, although I wish I had sound :(
Quark

Postby Danny B » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:10 pm

For people running Windows Vista, download the DOSbox emulator from the DOSbox project's Sourceforge page.( Please to clicky here.) Be aware, the download will start automatically. Install DOSbox, follow any one of a number of useful youtube tutorials on how to configure DOSbox to run well with Windows Vista, then either play from the original discs if you have them, or download a ROM file from an abandonware site. (Again, youtube is your friend for showing how to configure a ROM in DOSbox.)

For those few individuals who run some flavour of GNU/Linux, I think the original discs run in the WINE windows emulator, I'll dig out my old copy of DW Noir and get back to you on that one.
Danny B

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Quark wrote: I wish I had sound :(
Believe me, after listening to Eric Idle saying "I don't want to do that" hundreds of times, you'll be glad you don't have sound. :lol:

Danny - I'll try that when I get back to Cardiff - I found a copy of Discworld Noir for 99p and it doesn't work on my computer. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Danny B » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 pm

To my great disappointment, followers of the penguin aren't able to play DW: Noir via the WINE emulator. :( I may be able to rig up the linux version of DOSbox to run the CD's, but it's been a long day and the cat wants fed so anyone who runs linux and is thinking about buying the game will have to wait a few days to find out if it works or not.

On the bright side, whilst looking for the DW: Noir discs, I found Planescape Torment and Half-Life, which both work perfectly in WINE. Whatever else happens this week, boredom won't be an issue.:D
Danny B

Postby Quark » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am

Funny, that. Last time I checked, Discworld 1 didn't actually need DOSbox. I can run without it, anyway.
Quark

Postby Pooo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Any chance of getting the games into iPhone? Monkey island and broken sword have made it onto this platform and I can't think of anything better than being able to play these games on the move!
Pooo

Previous

Return to Games