Discworld Character Card Project (DIY Playing Cards)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Discworld Character Card Project (DIY Playing Cards)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Yeah - similar thing to what we did. :) Even though we only used one actual character (Death) for one of the cards we still had to get permission to have the cards made as a 'one off' to go into the charity auction at the conventionand one to present to Terry as a present from the forum :D

Really liking the box and the 'seasoned' look of the cards :clap:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Mixa » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:56 am

MrGravier wrote:I drew a complete tarot games (only the major arcana), not a carot, just a normal game of tarot illustrated with characters from disc.

Wow! All this artwork is really original but these tarot cards specially caught my eye… They are great! What a pity you can’t sell them, Mr Gravier!

By the way,
would you mind if I print them in paper to show them to my mother? She likes tarots and loves Discworld so it would be a fantastic surprise! :P

My congratulations again, ;)

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby MrGravier » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:13 pm

Mixa wrote:would you mind if I print them in paper to show them to my mother?

hummm, yes, you can print it, it's low quality,I hope to sell it one day and you could offer your mother the better version.
MrGravier

Postby Mixa » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:24 am

Thank you, MrGravier! Of course I’ll take note of that! ;)

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby lazecraze » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:10 am

OMG! I'm sorry that I am just seeing this. This is so immense. You are a genius Jan. I am inspired to create something similar for my kids (I teach). If I could transform one of their favourite stories to this, it would be amazing! Right now I rely on online reading games to get them to love the written word. Playing cards is another way I can now explore. I'm going to follow bookmark this thread and read it Thank you so much.
lazecraze

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Glad you like 'em lazecraze - just PM me if you want a set (comes with v. easy instructions on how to print etc.) or if you want to discuss anything about methodology ;)

I've also done a fantasy tarot deck for the DreamWorlds forum (which may or may not be a commercial option down the line). You can see the Major Arcana for that on my DeviantArt slideshow and the minors are HERE in PDF format

I did a fair amount of online research too and found these sites useful for ideas, including looking into the history of it all :)
The World of Playing Cards
Small editions Guide (same site but hard to find it)
Tesselations
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Previous

Return to Games