Discworld Character Card Project (DIY Playing Cards)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Discworld Character Card Project (DIY Playing Cards)

Postby michelanCello » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:59 am

's right :lol: anyways, it worked just fine in Birmingham, so why not use it like that? I guess there are a lot of variants to the game...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Keep forgetting to do this... :shifty:

Here's some character card sketches that Cheery did in the other thread -

and from Jane too -

and the one that started us all off (also by Jane :D ) -

I'll get these mounted up on some templates so peeps can see what they look like and hopefully inpsire some more artwork for the character card side of this project ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Errata » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow! They are good! But I'm afraid I'll be to scared to show my work if I attempted it... :lol:
Trained Assassin - Beware! She'll hug you to death! :twisted:
Errata

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Hey - we'd love to see your art and how you 'see' some of the Discworld characters Errata :clap:

I've got a basic card template for download in the 2nd post of this thread that's compatible to use with blank versions of the 2 deck templates (Roundworld Standard and Caroc decks) so if you're too shy to let us see your work you can still make your own personal and unique set - those come with the back designs but you can even apply your own for that if you like ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Square12 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Surely, different regions of the disc have varying rules and different decks, as on roundworld (Spanish suits are coins, staves, swords and cups for example and the most popular game (mus) relies on a heavily stripped deck)? This would explain the differences between a deck that meets the W.A. descriptions and those appearing in T.R.

P.s. love the artwork!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:34 pm

I think strictly speaking that the cards described in Turtle Recall are the entire deck of the Caroc which is the Disc equivalent of Tarot (and features more in Light Fantastic when Twoflower falls into a coma after rescuing Bethany from the Druids?) and so the 'new' suit is in fact what would be equivalent to the major arcana or trump cards, whilst the cards for CMO appear to be played using the minor arcana/suits which here on Roundworld are the ones that make up a traditional game-playing deck with the major cards left mainly for fortune-telling purposes. :shifty:

Swords, Cups, Coins/Pentacles/Discs and Staves/Wands were the original suits for tarot and card games, but in late medieval France and thence to England they were changed to Hearts (Cups), Diamonds (Coins), Clubs (Staves) and Spades (Swords) possibly because the symbols were so poorly printed, or else to move away from the 'witchery' reputation of the Tarot in the christian world although that's rather odd since Italy and Spain both stayed with the minor arcana symbology - go figure! ;)

Just to complicate things Germanic areas (including Switzerland) use Roses or Hearts, Bells, Acorns and Leaves or Shields and of course there are other variations all over the world, although the traditional Spades, Diamonds etc is mainly used in most English-speaking countries :naughty: :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:00 pm

OK - first batch of the Major Arcana suit for the Caroc

Image Image

Image Image

And yeah - I know there's no Roman numeral on the Fool :D That's because the Romans didn't know about zero and I only have 12 cards in my 'authentic' WA Caroc so I don't want the 13 :P
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Four more for the pot...

Image Image

Image Image
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:22 pm

And the remaining 5 to make the set...

Image Image Image Image Image
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 pm

OK - I've updated the template for the WA version of the Caroc 8 x 12-card suits to include the 13 card Major Arcana as designated by Turtle Recall.

If anyone's already got the set and wants the updated version for the new cards just PM me and I'll get a replacement PDF to you :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby sheilaj » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:20 am

oh wow! are these still available please?
sheilaj

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 pm

You have to make them yourself but yeah - :D

Just PM me with an email contact saying which set you want (the Roundworld version or the 'authentic' Caroc - with or without the new Major Arcana picture cards) and which back design you'd like (the 2012 convention back design has been retired now - sorry :( but the Stephen Player Great A'tuin's still available). The templates are in A4 PDF attachment or download format and can be done on a home colour printer with good results
Jan Van Quirm

Postby MrGravier » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 am

I drew a complete tarot games (only the major arcana), not a carot, just a normal game of tarot illustrated with characters from disc.
Image<<<backImage<<<list of cards/characters, in french/english

I worked from the Oswald wirth Tarot, I drew each card in the traditional style (which is sometimes ugly ^ ^)

you can see each card in detail here:http://funkydpression.deviantart.com/gallery/48906937
I also designed the box and I work to get them printed, but it is expensive, so I'm saving up for it.
MrGravier

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 pm

:clap: Love them - especially as you've made the adaptation so traditional :D

We got 3 decks of the minor arcana of the Caroc (compatible with normal playing card decks for playing Cripple Mr. Onion) made up professionally by this online company for the 2012 Discworld convention which set us back around £25 a deck. They were really well made - the company make special decks for magicians as well as personalised sets for anniversaries etc. :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby MrGravier » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

for printing, I work with a small enterprise near my home, it is more responsive. Anyway, I don't have the right to sell my cards, they're copyrighted characters... then that's only for my pleasure and that of my friends.
I still work on the box:

for the pattern, I use this site.http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/
we enter the measurements and hop, it works! it just have to fill with your images;
MrGravier

PreviousNext

Return to Games